• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Foo inspired tuxedo rig.

Unregistered

Reaction score
For those of you who watch Downton Abbey, I really am in love with Mr. Talbot's dinner jacket...

(Gentleman on the left)

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone help me with the appropriate outerwear to wear with black tie? I have a pretty traditional black tie rig (all black with white shirt, peaked lapel, cummerbund and bowtie match the lapels, suspenders no belt loops, etc.) but I have yet to find a "proper" chesterfield that would be appropriate for black tie. Am I overthinking this, and would a dark (charcoal, midnight, black) chesterfield that fits well over my tuxedo be good?

I purchased a cashmere camel tone LBM double breasted polo coat for wearing over my suits or jackets in cold weather, but I feel that that would be highly inappropriate to wear with black tie, and I'd rather just go without an overcoat instead of wearing inappropriate outerwear.

Thanks for your input.

Unregistered

Reaction score

Can anyone help me with the appropriate outerwear to wear with black tie? I have a pretty traditional black tie rig (all black with white shirt, peaked lapel, cummerbund and bowtie match the lapels, suspenders no belt loops, etc.) but I have yet to find a "proper" chesterfield that would be appropriate for black tie. Am I overthinking this, and would a dark (charcoal, midnight, black) chesterfield that fits well over my tuxedo be good?

I purchased a cashmere camel tone LBM double breasted polo coat for wearing over my suits or jackets in cold weather, but I feel that that would be highly inappropriate to wear with black tie, and I'd rather just go without an overcoat instead of wearing inappropriate outerwear.

Thanks for your input.

I'm in the same boat. This is Canada, and I can find myself in -20° weather easily.

I would imagine something like this would be perfect... but sadly this isn't my size.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BROOKS-BROT...217601?hash=item25af8fa8c1:g:yZsAAOSwyvBV-HFu

There are moments where I actually find myself considering something like this.

Tried and True

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I purchased a cashmere camel tone LBM double breasted polo coat for wearing over my suits or jackets in cold weather, but I feel that that would be highly inappropriate to wear with black tie

Apparel Arts suggested attire for southern resorts: polo coat and sennit hat with a club band.

Esquire recommended similar attire for Florida, the Caribbean and Monte Carlo.

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for your input.
I'd imagine Kent Wang would happily put together an overcoat to suit your specific taste. Peak lapels, covered buttons, welted pocket, MTM fit --

I should not have looked at that. Now I kinda want one.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads