• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So not to re-highjack a thread that's already been highjacked so many times, but I finally did it: I found a midnight bow that matches the midnight facings of my jacket PERFECTLY.

However, there is a catch - no matching cummerbund made. So my options are to:

1. Go with black satin (hey, it'll still match the shoes).

2. Take the advice of Black Tie Guide about the waist covering being the place to throw in a little color and do that (ultra dark grey, deep burgundy or plum)

2b. Go with a slightly different, slightly bluer, shade of blue, in a different texture (either basket weave, tonal paisley or grosgrain) so that it's obviously different but doesn't stand out the way a light blue, plaid, silver or red would.

3. Get a white pique waistcoat, but in doing so violate the principle that this should only be worn with a detachable wing collar shirt (my shirt is a pique front but a turndown)

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I could definitely get both, but will probably wait to get a black one, seeing as I can always pick one of those up. Thinking I like either a super dark pewter or plum. Burgundy is nice with black, but with midnight it's too "red, white and blue" to me. Bottle green is also good but something about that with the blue looks too informal.

FWIW, this was the alternate blue I had found and was considering:

https://www.nordstromrack.com/shop/product/672992?color=DARK+BLUE

I've got two weeks till I need it, and since no tailoring is required I figure I can at least spend the weekend looking for something just right.

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ImTheGroom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That was the darkest reference I could find, but yeah, I agree.

Have you tried Ebay, and etsy? Looked around to see if you could get one made in time? If you have a tailor that can make it, I'd ask around to seamstresses to look for silk in the right colours - maybe also post a thread and/or in the cloth thread (unfunded liabilities) to ask where to look in your city.

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

black bow, black waist covering.

don't over think this.

If we didn't overthink these things, this thread wouldn't exist in its current form.

I was going to do that, until I found a blue bow in the exact right satin, and after all the searching, can't just ignore that. Issue I've had is that facings are midnight, not black, so that makes pairing more difficult. However I'm not opposed to adding a little color through the cummerbund, especially since that's the one place it's allowed.

NeedForTweed123

Reaction score
That argument can work for or against you, depending on why you are wearing white tie. If it's a party where nobody else will be in formalwear, then the "quirky tuxedo" is actually probably a better fit than a regular tuxedo, because those who see white tie as such will think you're doing it to goof around a bit, just the way they see this as their one excuse per year to wear the purple sequins blazer they have. If it's a party where everyone will be in suits, then being the "quirky" one could work against you more.
No, I would only wear it in the former situation. Never at an actual, stated formal event.

Last edited:

harboldlr

Reaction score
You are a senior member? I would hope that if you want to dress like a gentleman, you would also speak (and write) like a gentleman.

ballmouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
In the 1938 film Holiday starring Cary Grant and Katherine Hepburn, there is an high class NYE party where everyone but the actor playing a working class father (who the others noticeably stare at) is dressed in white tie. I couldn't find a clip of that actor's entrance, but one can find clips of the NYE scenes on YouTube.

Of course that was 1938, but the time period still is very relevant in terms of men's clothing (see those Apparel Arts issues from the same time).

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads