• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

mikeharo

Reaction score
re: golden globes: I was surprised by 1) how many people noticeably wore no waist covering (RL even put pictures of people in their clothing with shirts showing beneath their jacket buttons on social media) and 2) the number of men without ties/bowties

Ivar

Reaction score

Is there any reason to wear a cutaway coat besides morning dress?

J

I find them practical for when you want to show off your semi.

J011yroger

Reaction score
Picked up a sweet pair of houndstooth trousers today for a song. So now I am trying to justify a cutaway coat purchase.

Guess in the absence of a legitimate reason I will have to resort to convoluted woman-like logic.

J

ImTheGroom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Picked up a sweet pair of houndstooth trousers today for a song. So now I am trying to justify a cutaway coat purchase.

Guess in the absence of a legitimate reason I will have to resort to convoluted woman-like logic.

J

Aren't you in New York? There is always the Easter Parade.

J011yroger

Reaction score
If I had to tomorrow, I would and I doubt anyone would bust my horns for wearing one of my peak lapel DJs instead of a proper one. If I come across a stroller jacket cheap I would likely buy it, but I'm gonna be on the prowl for a cutaway coat.

J

J011yroger

Reaction score
P.S. Just found a mint condition pair of Royal Stewart trousers, so I have something to look forward to next holiday season.

P.P.S. Oscar party is in the works, so I'll get another chance to BT. First of hopefully many in 2014.

J

ImTheGroom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I had to tomorrow, I would and I doubt anyone would bust my horns for wearing one of my peak lapel DJs instead of a proper one. If I come across a stroller jacket cheap I would likely buy it, but I'm gonna be on the prowl for a cutaway coat.

J

On my list is a dark charcoal suit, with peak lapels, so that the jacket can do double duty as a stroller. Many birds, one stone.

ImTheGroom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
P.P.S. Oscar party is in the works, so I'll get another chance to BT. First of hopefully many in 2014.

BT, or Creative BT? I've contemplated hosting one with the dress code "Completely Ridiculous, Ugly, Black Tie" in honour of the real event's attendees. I think I'll wear a green shirt, bolo tie, elephant feet slippers, and top hat.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 37.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics