• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Southern Trad Thread's Guide to Dressing in the Heat

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
501C8658-F043-42BE-BBC2-6B5CFCA9A5AE.jpeg

One data point but a fun one! Arghh, opening act is here....

induere_to

Reaction score
I was turned on to Fresco last year and finally had a chance to own quite a bit of it this season... prior, I was hooked on linens and seersuckers. I have my first seersucker suit arriving soon, currently being made, that I will comment on once it arrives, but I've always loved my seersucker shirts (the wavy fabric is supposed to prevent sticking to the perspiration on the skin). But back on Fresco... I've switched religions, and I now have a new saviour. One thing that has always blown my mind is the versatility of wool (it can be woven so fine it can feel like silk, it can become so brushed and dense that it can resemble cashmere, but it can also be woven so loosely that it resembles linen - only, it doesn't wrinkle!).

Despite being in Canada, we have the extremities of polar opposite weathers; in winter it gets down to -40 Fahrenheit and in summer it can rise up to over 100. I have family in South Carolina and I grew up in Spain as a child so I would not want my opinion to be overlooked or deemed invalid. We didn't necessarily have the hot weather as you guys down south probably did yesterday, but it did rise to the mid 70's (it's taking some time for our Summer to launch); I was wearing fresco trousers and a fresco sport coat with a long-sleeve linen shirt and made the interesting observation that no matter how many layers I was wearing, the breeze still seemed to pass through rather well. By the end of the day, no sweat. Only change I'd make is my plan to remove the sleeve lining from the Fresco jacket.

My cotton sport coats don't breathe well and it's actually been since early last summer since I've even worn one. Cotton is too stiff and heavy for me that I find it hard to move around in, I'd rather wear wool than wear cotton. Linen, I love. It wrinkles, which I accept for being a natural characteristic, but I'd probably wear a fresco if I'd have to make a social appearance and set aside linen for leisure purposes.

I once read that undershirts are the male equivalent to panty-lines on women, and have since never worn an undershirt despite anyone's view of whether that statement is accurate or not.

However, different compositions and garments are acquired and favourable to each individual accordingly and I recognize that I am not entitled over anyone else on this thread.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

konoyaro

Reaction score
I have been looking for a navy blue / indigo seersucker jacket and saw that Haspel had my size in stock. I emailed to ask them where their jackets were made and got a reply (extremely quickly): "We currently manufacture our Tailored Clothing in Amman, Jordon".
While location of manufacture is not necessarily make of break for me I was a little disappointed though not surprised that they no longer manufacture in the US. I'd read elsewhere on the interwebs that they manufacture for Brooks Brothers but not sure if it's true or not.
That said, I'm still looking for a reasonably priced navy seersucker jacket in my size (44L).

konoyaro

Reaction score
Can't find the thread now and I'm not sure how much credence I'd put into it. I guess going to BB and checking to see if the label says "Made in Jordan" would be a big clue. Nevertheless, if I can find the original thread I'll post a link.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never heard of Haspel making for B.B. sounds spurious.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads