• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Watchman1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I was pretty sure about the scuffs, but since I was asking about the rough shell, I figured why not ask just in case. Your point about not being a dress boot is well taken. They're seconds for $529. I think I'm going to pass since the roughness is downer for me. Maybe if they dropped sub $400 like during last years RDA sale (if I recall that sale correctly), I'd feel differently, but I'd ratter wait and spend more for first. Probably in Brown.

FWIW, I have seen/owned shells from higher end makers than AE and they have the bumpy effect going on.

That is the nature of cordovan.

So, you must decide.

Actually, that price is fair. And the $400 price is a good deal.

But, I would recommend you wait and get exactly what you want.

Thanks.

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whisky Wednesday with some natural thrown in.

fc8c3e2b316b2047621a008df7b09605.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
AE brown shell Bradleys today (these were an MTO):

JwTq4IZ.jpg

Your AE Brown Shell NSTs are looking great. The NST is always a classic model.

Longwing (macneil-color8) against shortwing (C&J - brown)

Both of those Wingtips are looking stellar. Did you lighten the edges on your Marlows? They look lighter than normal. Both are beauties though.

Whisky Wednesday with some natural thrown in.

fc8c3e2b316b2047621a008df7b09605.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Very nice Rancourts. Really cool loafers with the whole plain front thing. Assume that they are crazy comfy?

-Mike

Gabru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Both of those Wingtips are looking stellar. Did you lighten the edges on your Marlows? They look lighter than normal. Both are beauties though.

-Mike
Thanks Mike, the short wings are actually not Marlows but another SWB they did for Brooks Brothers. My cobbler who installed the topy on these accidentally antiqued the edges as well ( they came out more lighter in the picture), not that I am complaining
smile.gif

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

Thanks Mike, the short wings are actually not Marlows but another SWB they did for Brooks Brothers. My cobbler who installed the topy on these accidentally antiqued the edges as well ( they came out more lighter in the picture), not that I am complaining :)

Ha, gotcha. They do look a bit sleeker than the Marlow, that makes sense now. They actually look really nice with those edges.

-Mike

Canadianguy

Reaction score
E brown shell dundees in the sun.

Still my only pair of shells at this point. I'm thinking about making an addition to the collection in the near future...

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Man, the color of these--as in, your particular pair--is just so beautiful. Something distinct from the #8 that they supposedly are. They look great with your denim, too.

That's how my older color 8s look too. Everything Alden or newer than 2014 seems extra dark these days.

They are gorgeous though. Amazing.

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Man, the color of these--as in, your particular pair--is just so beautiful. Something distinct from the #8 that they supposedly are. They look great with your denim, too.

They are a bit older and I believe have lightened a bit. I bought them new from another member here but they are on double leather soles, which is a run from I think two years ago from Brooks Brothers.

That's how my older color 8s look too. Everything Alden or newer than 2014 seems extra dark these days.

They are gorgeous though. Amazing.

I love the eggplant Alden color 8 so much, it has taken me some time to get used to this pair.

Rancourt shell loafers.

Wonderful pics! I might need to see if I can break mine out today, though I think it's supposed to rain.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads