• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mosy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Rider Boot Brandy Scotch Grain Shell Cordovan Wingtip Boots. The speed hooks ate up the stock laces after three wears so I replaced them with a bit thicker round waxed lace I'm sampling.

Nice boots!

But I'm trying to understand the appeal of Grain Shell. For me the primary benefits of shell are the absence of micro creases, and the beautiful natural shine to the leather. I'vee found that grain calf does not usually crease too badly like standard calf. And it seems to me that Grain Shell does not have the same shine as standard Shell. So is Grain Shell really worthwhile?

Deusis

Reaction score
Nice boots!

But I'm trying to understand the appeal of Grain Shell. For me the primary benefits of shell are the absence of micro creases, and the beautiful natural shine to the leather. I'vee found that grain calf does not usually crease too badly like standard calf. And it seems to me that Grain Shell does not have the same shine as standard Shell. So is Grain Shell really worthwhile?

Honestly - I really like it because of I love texture and I love shell. It is something different. I have plenty of other pairs of standard shell cordovan footwear but I wanted something different.

These actually have a decent amount of shine and I could give it more but I think it is a good balance. Just personal preference.

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So does the forum have no love for Peal and Co. for Brooks Brothers shell cordovan boots anymore? I think they are a fine pair of boots personally and thought the pair in my sig (B&S) is listed a fair price, but still have yet to find a new home. I just have so many boots and need to clear closet space, but maybe I'm missing something since I'm a shell newb,

As @mosy has pointed out those are non dainite sole boots that were a short term run a few years ago. Some may desire the leather sole but I prefer dainite.

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not selling on B&S doesn't mean anything. I could offer those for $50 and I'd get 10 tire kickers, two takers who never PayPal the funds, and a guy in China who would explain he will pay $17.50.

Last edited:

tonio028

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

As @mosy has pointed out those are non dainite sole boots that were a short term run a few years ago. Some may desire the leather sole but I prefer dainite.

Yeah dainite soles would elevate the status for sure.

Not selling on B&S doesn't mean anything. I could offer those for $50 and I'd get 10 tire kickers, two takers who never PayPal the funds, and a guy in China who would explain he will pay $17.50.

Too funny, but so true regarding current staus of B&S these days.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So does the forum have no love for Peal and Co. for Brooks Brothers shell cordovan boots anymore? I think they are a fine pair of boots personally and thought the pair in my sig (B&S) is listed a fair price, but still have yet to find a new home. I just have so many boots and need to clear closet space, but maybe I'm missing something since I'm a shell newb,

So I think they should probably sell for something around your current price.

I think retail price on those is really high - so if you paid that that might be giving you a slightly off perspective. These are now fairly analogous to the Alden x J Crew #8 boots - sold by big retailer, non rare shell, similar enough design, etc. And I feel like I see those sell for $575-$625 new on the secondary market (more on eBay but then you pay huge fees). I don't really track but I think there will generally be a discount to retailer price on any shoe that is not rare + BB retail is really high

Last edited:

jogowill

Reaction score
^Thanks, jhcam (and makewayhomer and El Argentino). I was reasonably confident that they were at least decent, but I am no expert; I approached my post with fear and trembling. What if the enthusiasts were to descend upon them with universal scorn?

Last edited:

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So I think they should probably sell for something around your current price.

I think retail price on those is really high - so if you paid that that might be giving you a slightly off perspective. These are now fairly analogous to the Alden x J Crew #8 boots - sold by big retailer, non rare shell, similar enough design, etc. And I feel like I see those sell for $575-$625 new on the secondary market (more on eBay but then you pay huge fees). I don't really track but I think there will generally be a discount to retailer price on any shoe that is not rare + BB retail is really high
I'd probably pay around that price, they're just not our size...

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

AHS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^Thanks, jhcam (and makewayhomer and El Argentino). I was reasonably confident that they were at least decent, but I am no expert; I approached my post with fear and trembling. What if the enthusiasts were to descend upon them with universal scorn?

These are great! I've become obsessed lately with vintage shell shoes. Amazing patinas can develop over 30+ years.

AHS

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's my humble "Non-Alden" shell rotation:

Black, Burgundy (color 8), Burgundy, Natural, Cognac, Navy, Brown (dark cognac)

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads