• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Rubinacci Thread.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I'm just surprised all of their pocket squares weren't already made with handled edges. Pretty much everybody else has been doing it that way forever.

I don't think that's true. Drake's doesn't, for example. Very few "big" producers offer handrolled/ handstitched edges. In fact, I can't think of a single one.

ShayaEXQT

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I don't think that's true. Drake's doesn't, for example. Very few "big" producers offer handrolled/ handstitched edges. In fact, I can't think of a single one.

Turnbull & Asser is always the one that springs to mind. (Along with Hermes, of course!)

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Maybe I can't tell the difference, but the edges of my Drake squares seem hand-rolled. So does my one Rubinacci.

ShayaEXQT

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I was going to add, I didn't know there was a machine to copy the look of hand rolling.

I was speaking with someone recently that told me his pocket squares are rolled by hand but stitched by machine, if that makes sense. Having seen them, I could not tell the difference between entirely machine done and done by hand.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
From now on I am only buying squares that have no rolling and are cut with pinking sheers to avoid the issue entirely.

Last edited:

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Some Drakes are a folded edge, machine-stitched. Others are rolled, but perhaps not by hand...

coolpapa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think this particular discussion brings this thread to an undeserved and ignominious end.

ctp120

Reaction score
I think hand-rolled vs machine matters less than the general style of rolling one prefers (loose/tight; decorative/mostly-hidden stitching; puckered/smooth, etc.). E.g., here are hand-rolled and stitched edges on two untipped ties that look really distinct to me. Brown is Borrelli; navy is Hober.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bossiniusa1