• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The OneShirt: A Phoenix from the Ashes [4/24/13 UPDATE: A SHIRTMAKER, AN ENGLISHMAN, CHAMBRAY, AND F

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I did not state that you said that. You stated (the quote is bellow) that assuming a mistake is an embarrassment and, to that, I replied that this view would only perpetuate your character flaw (arrogance), which is evidenced by your participation on this forum. Point, no more, no less.

God. I am not saying, "assuming," or expressing in anyway that a mistake is embarrassing. It was a statement about what OTHERS should believe, at the worst, about me--in contrast to their belief that I am somehow aggrandizing myself by retracting an endorsement. Your English is not doing you any service and your arrogance is manifesting in your insistence on arguing on this point, despite your handicap in understanding what is being discussed.

If your understanding about it changed, you changed. Common, I sure that you can keep up to this.
My point is that you had the stuff on your hands and you still saw potential on it, but, after acknowledging that it has polyester on it, now you see it as crap. It still feels the same, it still has the same properties.

This is a blatant falsehood. The quality of a thing is not exclusively defined by what it feels like. If it were, we would have no need of knowing what fibers any material is made of. Why mention if something is cashmere, wool, silk, etc.? Just feel it!

So, your first judgment was based on what? In my opinion, mainstream opinion.

My opinion is that you are a pest. You have barely 200 posts on this forum, and already you cannot get in a discussion with me without commenting on character and motivations.

I will delete all your future posts in this thread.

Last edited:

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I think the paul stuart guys stick to you like glue because they are paid on commission and they want to grab you as soon as it looks like you might make a purchase. Herzfeld was like that too.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I think the paul stuart guys stick to you like glue because they are paid on commission and they want to grab you as soon as it looks like you might make a purchase. Herzfeld was like that too.

Maybe, but not in my case. I asked for help with the belts, and he just said: "They're right there in front of you." They didn't ask for my bag, they grabbed it from me and simply informed me that it would be at the cash register.

Herzfeld is great. But I get awesome service all over New York. Because New York doesn't blow.

Last edited:

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Commission may be a sales motivator for them, but I think the stickyness is just store policy. At the top of the stairs in the NYC store, there is always one salesman that is "at bat," and they'll follow you around unless you ask for someone else.

Downstairs, if you come to a stop in someone's section, the nearest salesperson grabs you.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I understand the idea of "stickiness." Remember, I've been to both NYC and Chicago stores. What I'm describing is only a problem at the Chicago location. There's a difference between being attended to, and being scowled at.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Gentlemen, what Foo describes is not stickiness. Let's accept that his Chicago experience was crap and move on.

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Note that my quote was refuting "when it looks like you're gonna make a purchase" by manton, not contradicting foo's assertion. I don't think they wait until you look like you're gonna buy, I think they engage right away (typically).

Last edited:

Kuro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Maybe, but not in my case. I asked for help with the belts, and he just said: "They're right there in front of you." They didn't ask for my bag, they grabbed it from me and simply informed me that it would be at the cash register.

Herzfeld is great. But I get awesome service all over New York. Because New York doesn't blow.

Herzfeld is closed btw.

Commission may be a sales motivator for them, but I think the stickyness is just store policy. At the top of the stairs in the NYC store, there is always one salesman that is "at bat," and they'll follow you around unless you ask for someone else.

Downstairs, if you come to a stop in someone's section, the nearest salesperson grabs you.

this has always been my experience there and it is a bit annoying.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ambrosi
You all know the story. I am currently owed 11 trousers. Salvatore and I are working on resolving this. I am hopeful, but we'll see. It is a particularly upsetting situation since I did so much to popularize him in the first place.

Salvatore's too busy making trousers on behalf of his friends at The Armoury, so I suspect that you'll be waiting a very long time for a satisfactory resolution!

Last edited:

Master Shake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Eleven pairs of trousers is an awful lot. Hopefully things work out.

Last edited:

Butler

Reaction score
What happened?

But I think it's funny that anybody would be praising the stuff like it was God's own shirting, only to then turn against it when they find out it has a synthetic fiber in its yarns. If someone likes the way it feels and behaves, why should it matter what it's made of?

Apparently your mentor Mariano Rubinacci is not bothered by polyester, as he almost exclusively wears the SG chambrey ! :hide:
:bigstar:

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
trust_no_one.jpg

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've apparently ironed a part polyester shirt for over a year now and had no idea it was polyed up.

I disliked the cloth for other reasons but my polydar is apparently not as finely tuned as yours.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Salvatore's too busy making trousers on behalf of his friends at The Armoury, so I suspect that you'll be waiting a very long time for a satisfactory resolution!

Seriously. I took a look at his tumblr once and all it was was pictures of him making pents for the Armoury folks. Clearly they have no issue getting him to deliver--and yet it's been nothing but trouble over here.

Guess you have to regularly wine and dine him to get delivery.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IlonaLizer