• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Olympics

c3cubed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by visionology
That wave thing with the boxes controlled by the people was CRAZY!!!

Everything was unbelieveable in scope - and yes, I was trying to see if it was remote controlled or what.

It was hard not to applaud in private...

I think, gobsmacked is an appropriate word for the display!

brlfvr

Reaction score
Really amazing opening ceramonies. Beatiful artistry and dicipline. Goosebumps a plenty. Let the cynics be cynical. Their loss. It's still amazing what these athletes accomplish.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
I'm waiting for the Obama commercials.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
China is NOT ******* around. Wow. Holy ****. That ceremony was off the Richter, to borrow a colloquialism from my high school days.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by c3cubed
I watched the Bejing opening Olympic ceremony in High Def at my office this afternoon with my staff. A few of my management team are from China. Events such as the Olympiad is exactly why high def is essential, and what it shows best.

Unbelieveable, a beautiful, glorious precision that induced kaflempt tears on a number of occasions, and I wasn't ashamed to let my staff see that.

What was/is interesting to recognise, is that this sort of magnificent discipline is not only difficult, but I believe almost impossible in our western civilizations, because our freedoms are so based on the individual and not as a group or nation. Our unions and so-called pendulum of 'human rights' self importance has swung so far to the right - it could barely withstand the amount of aggressive discipline that would have been required to muster so many thousands into an almost frightening militaristic perfection.

Face it folks, our laws are prescribed in a fashion as to walk on eggs over the consideration of a missive glance, or a caustic shout of disapproval - one gets sued for hundreds of thousands. Our western humanitarian ideals have precipitated the woosification of western morals and ethics. Mediocrity seems to be idealized and heroic, and we have ourselves to blame for this. No one else.

But wow, look how effective some of the old fashioned rules are; the quality is clear, concise, and I love seeing a grand display of epic genius.

I wish China could export more of this sort of thing, as an international trademark. This is what China as a nation does so well, and, to build more on the great historic achievements. So many wonderful contributions, so much invention to mankind in the past.

Anyone who is of the nation of China, should be so proud of what their country has displayed, in spite of any controversies that may lie between nations - proud even if for this one moment.

It was absolutely gorgeous.

And I think you're exactly right.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by c3cubed
I watched the Bejing opening Olympic ceremony in High Def at my office this afternoon with my staff. A few of my management team are from China. Events such as the Olympiad is exactly why high def is essential, and what it shows best.

Unbelieveable, a beautiful, glorious precision that induced kaflempt tears on a number of occasions, and I wasn't ashamed to let my staff see that.

What was/is interesting to recognise, is that this sort of magnificent discipline is not only difficult, but I believe almost impossible in our western civilizations, because our freedoms are so based on the individual and not as a group or nation. Our unions and so-called pendulum of 'human rights' self importance has swung so far to the right - it could barely withstand the amount of aggressive discipline that would have been required to muster so many thousands into an almost frightening militaristic perfection.

Face it folks, our laws are prescribed in a fashion as to walk on eggs over the consideration of a missive glance, or a caustic shout of disapproval - one gets sued for hundreds of thousands. Our western humanitarian ideals have precipitated the woosification of western morals and ethics. Mediocrity seems to be idealized and heroic, and we have ourselves to blame for this. No one else.

But wow, look how effective some of the old fashioned rules are; the quality is clear, concise, and I love seeing a grand display of epic genius.

I wish China could export more of this sort of thing, as an international trademark. This is what China as a nation does so well, and, to build more on the great historic achievements. So many wonderful contributions, so much invention to mankind in the past.

Anyone who is of the nation of China, should be so proud of what their country has displayed, in spite of any controversies that may lie between nations - proud even if for this one moment.

It was absolutely gorgeous.

yeah its great that the chinese are threatening to take away all the money and retirement funds from some chinese athletes if they retire and dont compete in these olympics. its great how they practicaly torture 7 year olds to make sure they are gymnastic machines. a lot of shady business goes on to make everything look good. i understand some of what youre saying, but i think were lucky we dont have to deal with what many of the chinese do.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by babygreenspots
Everyone relies on cliches. The Olympics is increasingly about money and marketing - in China more than ever before because the market is so huge. I just saw the Opening Ceremony and it was the most amazing spectacle I have ever witnessed. Let them butcher the minorities and restrict free speech.
I feel it wasn't Communistic enough. I wanted to see huge red stars and large-scale portraits of dead leaders. Anent the spectacle of the Olympics ceremony, I feel that the North Korean ceremonies are very worthwhile to watch--a sheer force of mass adulation.

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
Just saw the opening ceremony... cool show, with probably the most awesome display, make that displays of fireworks. The lighting of the Olympic torch was also awesome, with the guy looking like he's running sideways around the wraparound video wall, and the way the torch was lit.... good show.

I generally scorn these fancy-pants openings, so I tuned into this one late -- looks like that was a mistake on my part, because this was clearly an order-of-magnitude greater spectacle than your garden-variety Olympic show. I did catch the whole fireworks display on CBC, however -- un-freaking-believable!

I even stayed up lated to watch the NBC replay, but they went to commercial once the fireworks had started! Stupid F***ers ...

GTR

Reaction score
Originally Posted by West24
its great how they practicaly torture 7 year olds to make sure they are gymnastic machines. a lot of shady business goes on to make everything look good.
It's called training. What do you believe American gymnasts do? No different to young athletes in the US spending 8 hours a day in a pool or on a tennis court. People choose to pursue gymnastics, no one is forcing them to become a gymnast.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow. I have memories of athletic event opening ceremonies etc. since about 1984 summer Olympics in LA and this was by far the most amazing thing. Most of them are simply stupid. This was stunning. STUNNING. Those drummers alone sold it for me.

As for the sports: I love getting to see the fencing and other "smaller" sports that don't usually get shown on TV. They have it streaming online.

NBC's coverage is typically ******. The same "human interest" stories played again and again. I've seen at least three stories about the 41 year old swimmer already. It's only day 2.

Beach volleyball is on right now. It's pretty uninteresting. I'm sure they could be showing judo or something over on MSNBC. It's not like anyone watches that channel normally.

b

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GTR
It's called training. What do you believe American gymnasts do? No different to young athletes in the US spending 8 hours a day in a pool or on a tennis court. People choose to pursue gymnastics, no one is forcing them to become a gymnast.

You are clearly entirely unaware of how the Chinese athletic system works. Children are selected for these programs when they are extremely young (2-5 years old) and are sent thousands of miles away from homes and their parents, sequestered and trained nonstop. Training takes the place of schooling, family, and all other concerns. Those that excel remain in the programs until they make it to the Olympics. This is not a secret, it is not denied by the government, and it just is what it is.

It gets results, and I'm not even making any kind of value judgment here, but if you sincerely believe there is no difference between Chinese and American athletes when it comes to how and when they dedicate themselves to a sport, and the degree of self-direction involved, then you are either entirely uneducated on the subject, or hopelessly naive.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElinaRaupi