• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Morgan is getting some good reviews of Under the Wire- I was on the allocation but passed due to the prices (all were ~60 i believe) and you can get very good growers for the same prices

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Morgan is getting some good reviews of Under the Wire- I was on the allocation but passed due to the prices (all were ~60 i believe) and you can get very good growers  for the same prices

I think my cost basis was around $65 per bottle. As you say, it's possible to get really good Champagne for that price, so I can't really defend the value proposition. Still, this is very different from any Champagne that I've ever had, and it's very good in its own right. I wish it had been cheaper, but I don't regret buying it; and if the other two wines in this offering are anything like this one, I'll buy again next year.

zhouyu

Reaction score

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I really want to like Rubicon for sentimental reasons re: Inglenook, but it's never moved me. Very austere and tannin-dominant. I say that as someone who does not typically love the fruit-forward style

sfo423

Reaction score
I had two splits gathering dust. Outstanding wine by Chris. Deep, complex flavors with smooth tobacco note finish. Home BBQ porterhouse was a great a great pairing.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Never tried Marchesi- do you recommend?

They're more modern right?

I've only ever had two better barolos and both were from Marchesi, so I can't really compare them to others. To my understanding, Marchesi is one of the oldest producers, but isn't objected to some modern reinterpretations.

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had a bottle of 1992 Dom Perignon for New Years. GF's dad bought it for her at auction, so we were unsure of its storage throughout the years.

Flavors were nutty/toasty, with a distinct bleu cheese smell (and taste on the finish). We have another bottle too, but unsure as to whether we really liked it or not. It was interesting for sure, but I don't know if we would drink in a one-on-one setting (and would really only open it with a group setting, as we did with this one). Flavor profile was definitely not one I'd had before, though I don't know if food would have helped it or not

Last edited:

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Old Dom gets very nutty/toasty and also kind of flat. Personally, I love it, but I guess it's not for everyone.

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the biggest thing was that we weren't sure whether it was supposed to taste that way (or whether it was turned/bad/etc.). So we were approaching it with a bit of apprehension. Maybe the experience with the second bottle will be improved since we know what to expect (at least if it was stored similarly to the other).

Thanks Manton!

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
The 06 we had the night before NYE was really, really good. It was very rich and round, lots of floral notes, but a satisfying amount of toast, nut, and yeast. I'd really like to have another bottle of this in 10 years.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I was recently in Napa and had an instructive experience at Mondavi. I got to taste, in succession, the basic Sauv Blanc (they call it "fume"), the Reserve, and the I Block. The basic MSRP is around $20 but you can get it for $15 or less. The Reserve is typically $35-$40. The I Block is sold only at the winery and is made in very small quantities (200 cases) from the "I Block" of vines, which are the oldest at the whole property, dating to 1945. They are said to be the oldest Sauv Blanc vines in North America. This is the same parcel of land where What'sHisName Crabb who first planted To Kalon (and named it) planted Sauv Blanc in the 1860s. I Block is $90/bottle.

I like all these wines and always have. The all age, too. But I had never tasted them side by side like that. Each is good but the upgrade from one to the next was super-noticeable. I Block just outclasses anything else in this space, except maybe Didier Dagneau and Haut Brion Blanc.

Last edited:

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
dbl

Last edited:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

A gift over Xmas. It's a kitchen sink blend.

27% Merlot
19% Malbec
17% Syrah
13% Zinfandel
7% Sauzao,
6% Petit Verdot,
4% Petite Sirah
4% Grenache
3% Cabernet Sauvignon

Lots of oak, some RS, ******** of stewed plumbs, had with some ribs and it worked. I looked up the price, about $25. I could pick up things I like more than this for the money but I'm thinking the average person would really enjoy this.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads