• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I will keep that in mind.

Girardian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I migrated from a fridge to a built in room last year. It was a significant investment (properly done) but worth it, IMO. So, to answer the question: Fridge, definitely yes. I've been buying and holding wine way too long to gamble with anything less than impeccable storage. It has dramatically changed my opinion on the longevity of certain wines. Stable storage environment (whether natural conditions where you live, a wine unit, a wine room, or offsite storage, is an essential investment.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

When do you guys think it is worthwhile to get a wine fridge? Is it only worthwhile for those people who want to age their wine? Currently I only keep a few bottles of champagne in the fridge.

Definitely worth it, even if you want to keep just a couple dozen bottles. Especially true if you want a few older vintages around.

I purchased a 140-150 btl unit a few years back - it's been very useful. Originally I put everything in for convenience. These days I don't keep much "daily drinker" wine at home so it's only got maybe 60 bottles in it, but most are bottles I want to keep for a while. '90's barolos FTW.
The temperature display burned out but the external thermo says it's been holding well.

Beckwith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I picked up a EuroCave from Costco last year during the holiday sale. Been extremely happy with it as it sits in a basement room with the rest of the liquor lineup. Really quite and consistent on the temperature front.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Because steak.

erictheobscure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Steak and Barolo for me too. Except my Barolo was made in the MAN ZONE.

And was thus suitably cheap. Not bad, though.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score

Reading that book written by Lynch. It's making me wonder if good wine even exists anymore.

I picked up a Cahors imported by him, and it pretty much lined up right with how he describes Cahors in the book. That book is still super relevant today even though it was written in 1812.

Any chance that book ruined Paso for you?

side note: I like the fact that his wines are pretty widely available. Not every producer, no, but even the so-so Brooklyn wine stores still carry various selections from Lynch, and they're almost all excellent buys.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

I picked up a Cahors imported by him, and it pretty much lined up right with how he describes Cahors in the book. That book is still super relevant today even though it was written in 1812.

side note: I like the fact that his wines are pretty widely available. Not every producer, no, but even the so-so Brooklyn wine stores still carry various selections from Lynch, and they're almost all excellent buys.

No chance that book has ruined Paso for me. Had a great one last night, 2010, with a little frizzante to it, and I thought to myself Lynch would approve of that. I get his point of view, I appreciated most every choice I've had from him, but he's exactly like Parker (whom he seems to dislike a lot) in that he thinks his view in how wines should be made has metaphysical certainty in being correct. I think there's room in the wine universe for a whole bunch of wines and I think Lynch is yelling at people to get off his lawn a little bit too. Of note is that both Parker and Lynch abhor filtering so there's another thing they have in common.

Also, as I related to you, Paso makers are fooling around with all kinds of non-oak/light oak ways to age wine, from clay amphorae, to cement, to the same huge foudres used by Lynch approved makers in the Rhone. They are going to have high brix but that's not chapitalization that's just CA weather.

I want to relate a wine tale from Friday but I'm afraid I'll be scorned. It has to do with me nailing a blind tasting on scent alone and other folks not getting a particular aroma I did.

Edit: this is not to say one day I might not move away from Paso wines. Five years ago Kosta was doing it for me, 2015 Kosta is not doing it for me so much. Tastes evolve.

Last edited:

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been consistently happy with what I've had from his portfolio.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Leoville Barton 96 from magnum. Lovely wine. Tannins totally integrated, much plush fruit. Very little tertiary. I would call it mature now in that all harshness is gone, but this will get better.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
why must wine bars suck? If you must spend $12-15 a glass, a good restaurant bar will have better wine and better food. But no, wine bars are now a thing.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Too true. Many of them seem to be niche bars that are so niche they suck to everybody except the owner. "We only serve biodynamic wines of Malbec in variety whose grapes are only plucked by a vegan Spaniard 4 hours after his 4 hour hot yoga session in the fall." **** you, your overpriced wine sucks.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads