• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

Eustace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

yeah, price is an issue for me. At $65, one can get into some pretty serious wine from Burgundy, Bordeaux, Tuscany, Rhone, Piedmont, etc. I guess I'm thinking that at $65, why bother with a Beauj (and I totally realize that it's a dumb stance to have).

I get it. It's like paying $50 for Saint Aubin or Monthelie in Burgundy. Tough to swallow at that price. That said, I've had some pretty fantastic wines that I have been seriously geeking out about from those areas, so to me that's worth $50. Try the Cote du Py from Foillard. It's around $30 and I think you'll find value in it.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
yeah, price is an issue for me. At $65, one can get into some pretty serious wine from Burgundy, Bordeaux, Tuscany, Rhone, Piedmont, etc. I guess I'm thinking that at $65, why bother with a Beauj (and I totally realize that it's a dumb stance to have).

I get it. It's like paying $50 for Saint Aubin or Monthelie in Burgundy. Tough to swallow at that price. That said, I've had some pretty fantastic wines that I have been seriously geeking out about from those areas, so to me that's worth $50. Try the Cote du Py from Foillard. It's around $30 and I think you'll find value in it.

noted, a store not far from me has 4 wines from Foillard. Not the cheaper version, but I'll still pick one up and try it out.

In the interim, if you see some Denis Bachelet "bourgogne rouge", pick up a bottle and tell us your thoughts.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

In the interim, if you see some Denis Bachelet "bourgogne rouge", pick up a bottle and tell us your thoughts.

Found some of the '09 Bachelet CdN Villages locally the other day. Had been paying $49-53 for it from Premier Cru in Berkeley and having it shipped in. Local place had it for $73 (after the 5% cash discount). I swallowed hard and bought 3 bottles. Already plowed through 2 of them. $73 is just too stiff for a wine I can't seem to control myself around.

Last edited:

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't know. It's not like it's a premier or grand Cru or something. At the end of the day it's a (very, very good) village level wine meant to be consumed young, but that will likely still be good for many years. I've been guilty of vinfanticide before but not sure this is a good example of it.

Besides...it's just so yummy.

Last edited:

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score

'09 Bachelet CdN Villages

also, I need to do some research, but I'm pretty sure this is a single vineyard wine that sits in some village that is just outside of a classification zone. For those not in the know or for those who ignore the "buy the producer not the cru" mantra, this wine would fly right by them. Those in the know, like you, indulge.

I don't know. It's not like it's a premier or grand Cru or something. At the end of the day it's a (very, very good) village level wine meant to be consumed young, but that will likely still be good for many years. I've been guilty of vinfanticide before but not sure this is a good example of it.

This wine takes extremely well to age. All of his wines do.

Last year, a few 2002 "Borgogne Rouge" bottles popped up at Crush, and Manton and I pillaged the store of them. They were amazing, just a great mix of youth and age.

Last edited:

rossoz

Reaction score
Marchese Antinori Chianti Classico Riserva 2009. This opens up so nicely after a bit of "decanting". Kinda sad that I picked up only 10 bottles at 12 € each.
How long do you "decant" before drinking?

Cheers

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Did a little shopping this weekend:

Plus a case of RRV Pinot (Dutton Goldfield).

Bugey! I love Bugey - and it was the first thing I ever got drunk on, at the ripe old age of 31. So yummy. Have not had it since because it is not easily available in my area. Jealous, especially as it is cheap for teh poorz like me.

pscolari

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FYI - Astor is having a 20% off red wine sale today only. While they do have a good portion of their inventory on the website, I would recommend going to the store. Picked up some Faury St Joe, Texier Brezeme, Souhaut La Souteronne, Broc Carignan, and Sunier Regnie. They have a nice selection of Paolo Bea, Occhipinti, and Oddero currently.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Bugey! I love Bugey - and it was the first thing I ever got drunk on, at the ripe old age of 31. So yummy. Have not had it since because it is not easily available in my area. Jealous, especially as it is cheap for teh poorz like me.

You must have really been trying as that stuff is only 8% (one of the reasons I like it).

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
What does everyone like to pair with roast turkey?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads