• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I think Grange gets even more expensive than that. Never had it, myself.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Not had Grange but I hear I might in a future tasting. Did have Hill of Grace and it was awesome.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I can't see buying it myself, but if someone served it, I would happily drink it.

tdangio

Reaction score

Oh, sorry. For some reason I was thinking the Hill of Grace was in your price range. For the record I collect neither but have a friend with an impressive vertical of both.

No need for apologies, I just seriously doubt my ability to convince the other half to support that.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I just got this spam email selling 2010 Drouhin Clos de Beze (which I have no doubt is a great wine), but the recommended drinking window is "Drink between 2022-2100". Well, that narrows it down!

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
"i'm buying this special wine for a special event, wait I'm saving it for my 50th wedding anniversary, no waiti'm saving it for my kid's wedding, oh crap never mind i'm saving it for my grandchildren, ******* it's for my great grandchildren."

Last edited:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

I can't see buying it myself, but if someone served it, I would happily drink it.

This is the best reason to have friends with great cellars, no?

coolpapa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Grange is a fascinating wine. It can be incredibly manipulated, ages forever, and doesn't really taste like shiraz. I went to a tasting about ten years ago with Rolf Binder and Michael Twelftree where fifteen or so vintages were poured, some going back to the sixties. I was amazed at how youthful the wines were, how open Binder was about the various manipulations (adding tannin, adding acid, etc), and how good the wines really were. It's not something I have ever bought, but it's a very interesting wine.

As far as the question about a collectible wine, I'd obviously support Ridge Montebello, but would also add Chateau Montelena to that list. It's made in a similar style as Montebello, ages well, and on futures I think it's less than or around $100/bottle.

Last edited:

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I used to drink a ton of beer as a kid, because that's what you did there, but I do not drink it much anymore. Went to a lame happy hour last Friday, one of our old haunts that got shut down by the owner and redone into a new format, and good cocktails and wine is gone to be replaced by beer. I had half a dozen Stella and felt like the the Pilsbury guy. I cannot fathom how I used to drink it by the pitcher.

I can understand if you just don't like the taste of beer or it makes you feel bloated or you're just a hateful snob but why continue to pay money for something you don't like? That would be like going to a former beer turned wine place and ordering 3 bottles of sutter home white Zinfandel. Stella is basically lightly malted water from Belgium. Anybody would get bloated drinking 72 oz of water.

I had a barbaresco from Produttori del barberesco. I like going back to it occasionally. Such good value

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Had a 2010 Cayuse "God Only Knows" last night. It's mainly Grenache and the rest is "god only knows." We really enjoyed it. It had something very Pinot'ish going which was interesting.

ballmouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any recommendations for sparkling wine? I'd like to buy a couple bottles for a wedding I'm attending. It doesn't have to be amazing as few (if any) are wine enthusiasts (myself included). Preferably under $30 a bottle as I think I'm going to need a few since I'm skeptical as to how much alcohol is going to be at this wedding.

Last edited:

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
For under $30 get one of the better California NV bottlings such as Shramsberg, Roederer, or Gloria Ferrer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads