• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Ind-D, I foresee heartbreak in your future.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score

so you think if i buy a bottle of say les amoureuses i should be prepared to pay roumier, mugnier prices?

No.

since i can't try a bottle before buying it i've been going to by ratings and tasting notes

No.

i've been trying to buy value. ... i dont know how else to go about this on a budget

then listen to us.

the other thing is i dont know if i should be buying grand crus or super premier crus. the available ones are never more than 10, 12 years old and i dont think i should be drinking grand crus that young.

No. And i mean no to the ideas you state, not the generalizations.

i hear some vintages are better drunk younger

yes, but this should be the least of your concern.

I'll get to this in a day or so. One must learn.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
so then what do i do? set a price limit and buy random bottles from select producers?

Last edited:

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score

so then what do i do? set a price limit and buy random bottles from select producers?

basically yes. Dennis Bachelet. Fourrier. Mugneret-Gibourg. Hudelot-Noellat. Ligero-Belair. Dujac. J-F Mugnier. Roumier. Rousseau. Chevillon. Drouhin. d'Angerville. Lafarge.

a basic level wine from one of these will be superior to a Grand Cru from a no-name. It's up to you to live and learn, and you will, but it will cost you. The "but why wouldn't I buy a Premier Cru "Les Whatever" from Domaine Boner than this Bourgogne Rouge from extremely well established producer?? Better Cru is supposed to be better!!" is genuinely hard to get past. But you will, many $$ later.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ok.

i dont see better cru as better. echezeaux is supposed to be variable in quality and apparently les suchots can be better than an echezeaux from a poor plot. it just seemed to me that certain producers were known for quality yet didnt have the name and price of others.

anyways, i think i'll just buy village and burgundy level wines and save better crus for better times. i recently bought a 08 vosne romanee from mugneret gibourg that i can't wait to try

Last edited:

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To be obvious, the cru just indicates where the grapes come from. Says absolutely nothing about the skill of the winemaker. There are plenty of schmucks who have inherited little slices of grapes in a 1er or Grand cru vineyard who don't know or care about wine but just want to cash in. They might not even be good at growing the grapes, much less turning them into wine.

Buy from a better producer, and even if the grapes are a wee, little bit less impressive in their provenance, the fact that that winemaker really knows and cares about what he is doing will give you a better experience every time.

Besides, if you are going to drop the money on a really proper 1er or Grand cru, make sure you really know what you are getting.

BTW, the Mugneret Gibourg Vosne Romanee is exactly what I am talking about. That is a *fantastic* bottle of wine. Granted, it is just as expensive as plenty of 1er or Grand Crus, but it is a village level wine that is better than 95% of the stuff out there.

Last edited:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
As I keep saying, price is a fairly good proxy for quality in New World wine but it's a very poor predictor in Froggie wine.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
To be clear I wasnt talking about grand crus from no name shmucks but grand crus or super premiers from solid producers that don't have the name brand and market price of someone like Rousseau or Mugnier. Amiot servelle is definitely not a no name schmuck but commands a fifth of the price of Mugnier.

Eustace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

basically yes. Dennis Bachelet. Fourrier. Mugneret-Gibourg. Hudelot-Noellat. Ligero-Belair. Dujac. J-F Mugnier. Roumier. Rousseau. Chevillon. Drouhin. d'Angerville. Lafarge.

a basic level wine from one of these will be superior to a Grand Cru from a no-name. It's up to you to live and learn, and you will, but it will cost you. The "but why wouldn't I buy a Premier Cru "Les Whatever" from Domaine Boner than this Bourgogne Rouge from extremely well established producer?? Better Cru is supposed to be better!!" is genuinely hard to get past. But you will, many $$ later.

Or, better yet, go over there and learn by tasting. :slayer:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

This was purchased on a rec from our own Slewfoot. Upon decanting there was no, as in none, sediment. The colour was very vibrant, no bricking, but the nose was pure sweaty socks. We let it sit for an hour and it opened up into a nice, light wine with nice fruit.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I paid $22 (Slew is a good shopper too!) but would probably pay $40 just because I do not get a chance to drink much in the way of Burg with some age on it.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fullybooked.ai