• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, youโ€™ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

Nogginn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
So had the wine on the right last night.

IMG_0267.jpg

Very disappointed for $60.
ffffuuuu.gif

There was nothing wrong with it but no way worth the money. All I got from the nose was craisins (those dried cranberry things). No funk/barnyard, no spice (baking or savory), no other fruit....just dried cranberries. Palate gave me a suitable acid and tannins but no other flavour than the craisins. Absolutely no complexity in this wine.

Wines selling for $60-70 a bottle should be better than that so apparently either your taste was off that day (common) or the wine itself was off from poor storage(also common) A 2002 has been sitting around for the past 7-8 yrs. Did you buy it at some discount place like Costco or Walmart where it may have laid in some hot warehouse for years? The source of your wines (except for the cheap young ones) is very important which is why I recommend a place like Sherry Lehmann the best store for wine in the US. At least I know they store their wines underground or in temp. controlled warehouses. Most of their stock isn't even on display and you have to sit down and look in the big book (or computer today)
They cater to the carriage trade so you should feel comfortable there.
A small selection of their stock is online:
http://www.sherry-lehmann.com/

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
o hai Petrus, I see you're back.

oh, and thanks creating a thread to announce the Jos A. Bank clothing sale prices in MC. Mucho appreciated!!

Nogginn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
o hai Petrus, I see you're back.

oh, and thanks creating a thread to announce the Jos A. Bank clothing sale prices in MC. Mucho appreciated!!

Who's this guy Petrus? I've never read any comment by him. He appears to be some sort of legend around here. Like Superman or something. People are always talking about him but I've never seen any comment by him.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nogginn
Wines selling for $60-70 a bottle should be better than that so apparently either your taste was off that day (common) or the wine itself was off from poor storage(also common) A 2002 has been sitting around for the past 7-8 yrs. Did you buy it at some discount place like Costco or Walmart where it may have laid in some hot warehouse for years? The source of your wines (except for the cheap young ones) is very important which is why I recommend a place like Sherry Lehmann the best store for wine in the US. At least I know they store their wines underground or in temp. controlled warehouses. Most of their stock isn't even on display and you have to sit down and look in the big book (or computer today)
They cater to the carriage trade so you should feel comfortable there.
A small selection of their stock is online:
http://www.sherry-lehmann.com/

Oh hai Petrus.

Btw, just ******* genius on your part, to figure out a 2002 wine has been "sitting around" for the last 7-8 years. Okay, big test of you: how long has a 20 year old Burg been sitting around?

laugh.gif

Nogginn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Oh hai Petrus.

Btw, just ******* genius on your part, to figure out a 2002 wine has been "sitting around" for the last 7-8 years. Okay, big test of you: how long has a 20 year old Burg been sitting around?

laugh.gif

It's not how long it's been sitting around but WHERE it's been. Got that now, sport?
lol8[1].gif

Nogginn

Reaction score
It's not how long it's been sitting around but WHERE it's been. Got that now, sport?
lol8[1].gif

I would bet anything that the wine had that orange tint at the rim. An 8yo Burgundy of this price should still have a true Burgundy colour if stored properly. Stop buying at these discount places to save(waste) a couple of dollars. It's like buying worthless used clothes.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
lol8[1].gif

Petrus, why then did you stress the length of time? Sport, when a person figures something is not of importance, they do not make a point of it.

I would bet anything that the wine had that orange tint at the rim. An 8yo Burgundy of this price should still have a true Burgundy colour if stored properly. Stop buying at these discount places to save(waste) a couple of dollars. It's like buying worthless used clothes.

Ah, too bad you're completely wrong. No rim variation, star bright, perfect garnet with medium intensity. You're 0 for 2 here, sport.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
sup petrus.

do you enjoy showing how socially inept you are and how much bad taste and intelligence you have?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Style Guru
I don't know who this guy you call Petrus is but he certainly is an expert on wine. And I'd also suggest that some of you learn how to read and stop twisting what he says. It only makes you sound dumb because I understand perfectly the points he makes. perhaps you should stop sitting at those long cafeteria tables with a bunch of noobs listening to another noob tell you how you can smell bosenberries in a wine
lol8[1].gif

It's pathetic watching you noobs pursing your lips like a guppie and sucking air like you're practising giving your butt buddy a *******
lol8[1].gif

If you have no idea of him, how can you have these judgements about him? Wait, I know.

Oh hai, Petrus.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm so confused right now.

Quatsch

Reaction score
Last night the once-a-month craving for a white wine hit and I opened up a bottle of 2009 Kรƒยผhling-Gillot riesling. Really good "new-style" German riesling. Quite dry, light and crisp with a few odd bubbles, amazing golden color and some of the mineral flavor that makes a truly dry German riesling my favorite white, though not quite as intense as wines from the Mosel. I believe Kuehling-Gillot's vineyards are in the Rheinhessen.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Style Guru
I don't know who this guy you call Petrus is but he certainly is an expert on wine. And I'd also suggest that some of you learn how to read and stop twisting what he says. It only makes you sound dumb because I understand perfectly the points he makes. perhaps you should stop sitting at those long cafeteria tables with a bunch of noobs listening to another noob tell you how you can smell bosenberries in a wine
lol8[1].gif

It's pathetic watching you noobs pursing your lips like a guppie and sucking air like you're practising giving your butt buddy a *******
lol8[1].gif

i dont understand

do you not have any friends in real life? why do you insist on coming here and making a fool out of yourself?

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Drinking a 2007 Mollydooker Shiraz this evening with some spicy BBQ salmon

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whnay.
Drinking a 2007 Mollydooker Shiraz this evening with some spicy BBQ salmon

Are you familiar with the "Mollydooker Shake?" I can't remember why, but the afficiandos of MD say you need to open the bottle, place your thumb over the top, and shake it. Something about releasing some gas or something. I'm actually not kidding.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads