• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

Serg

Reaction score
2007 Andre Brunel Cotes du Rhone Villages Cuvee Sabrine (15$) - awsome vintage makes this an excellent value. Dense with good young tannins and higher levels of fruit than in previous years. Then again I havn't had any 2007 wine from southern rhone which was bad.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vinouspleasure
In 2006 in NYC, the distributor for roagna decided to dump all the roagna they had at silly prices. We bought six bottles of the 1993 barbaresco reserva for around $23/bottle, a terrific bargain. We had our last bottle last night and I regret not buying a case or two. We have to write tasting notes for our web site, so I've posted it here. Not sure if tasting notes are appropriate in this thread, if anyone objects, I'll edit the post:

The Rogna family motto "Roagna does not change." is reflected in this traditionally-styled wine. More feminine and complex than the Roagna Barolos of the same year, we find vilolets, cherries with a hint mushrooms and funk on the nose. Palate followed nose with beautiful layers of cherries, truffles and a hint of orange peel. The nebbiolo's tannins and acidity have resolved to a beautiful, soft mouth feel. If you're holding any of this in your cellar, it's not going to get better than this.

I'd love to see you post more notes, either here or in the original thread for this (which I tend to post in more). Sounds like a great wine for what you paid for it.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How much are you looking to spend?

ACDoyle

Reaction score
For Merry Edwards fans - Wally's in Westwood has a sale on some older vintage bottles
checkout: wallywine.com

killua

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnny_5
How much are you looking to spend?

Hard to say, since there will be 20 people and I cannot speak for what each person will be willing to spend. I'll only be buying for myself, the friend and the birthday girl.

To put it on context, food will be $75 per person. Since the friend is covering that bill, people should be willing to drop a bit more on alcohol. I think any bottle under $100 would be safe ground for general consumption.

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2008 Esencia de Monte, cencibel, vinos de terrunos, Vino de la Tierra de Castilla, Spain

vino-de-terrunos_2008.jpg

Lucious wine all around with a wonderful nose full of dark fruits and oaky spice with hints of warm sandelwood insence. This carried over to the mouth which was a near perfect balance of jammy dark blackberries and gentle yet chewy tannins! The finish was long and saticfying with notes of dark mocha running down the middle. This bottle was number two of a thank you gift.

Bonus shot from day two of this vino and was even better:
bonus3_102009.jpg

2004 Fire Block, Old Vine Grenache, Clare Valley, Australia

fire-block-grenache-2004.jpg

Holy crap this is an amazing wine for the the price...$20.99 at the grapes and with my discount even better
laugh.gif
If you didn't read it on the label you wold never know: 1) that this grenache hails from AUstralia and not Spain and 2) the it's 16.5% ABV!!! It is such a smooth and lucious pour with an amazing nose and a body full of ripe red fruits and warm comforting spices. I'm embarrased to admit that I killed this bottle, by myself, in a single sitting it was that good. The GF was a let down but I told her I'd grab another...and another...and another
tounge.gif
I could go on but words just will not do this bottle justice. So, if you come across one, get it!

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good stuff PandArts, looking to score a couple bottles of the Fire Block. I found some here for $13.97/bottle which is priced extremely low. Has anyone done business with wineoutlet.com before?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PandArts;2574790

[B
2004 Fire Block, Old Vine Grenache, Clare Valley, Australia[/b]

Holy crap this is an amazing wine for the the price...$20.99 at the grapes and with my discount even better
laugh.gif
If you didn't read it on the label you wold never know: 1) that this grenache hails from AUstralia and not Spain and 2) the it's 16.5% ABV!!! It is such a smooth and lucious pour with an amazing nose and a body full of ripe red fruits and warm comforting spices. I'm embarrased to admit that I killed this bottle, by myself, in a single sitting it was that good. The GF was a let down but I told her I'd grab another...and another...and another
tounge.gif
I could go on but words just will not do this bottle justice. So, if you come across one, get it!

Both the Fire Block Grenache and the Shiraz are incredibly good for the price. We've been drinking them for about a year now (pretty sure I've posted about them prior). Glad you like it too.

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Both the Fire Block Grenache and the Shiraz are incredibly good for the price. We've been drinking them for about a year now (pretty sure I've posted about them prior). Glad you like it too.

Yeah you have that's why when I saw it in the store where I work I snatched one up! I remember you giving glowing reviews and now I see why! Cheers!

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
I'll have to look out for that one in my neighborhood, I'd be interested in giving it a shot.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PandArts
Yeah you have that's why when I saw it in the store where I work I snatched one up! I remember you giving glowing reviews and now I see why! Cheers!

Very cool that someone moved on account of my rec and liked it too!

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fireblock. Yum. Will look out for it.

Heading down to Le Select Bistro tonite. Fab wine list, but I'll be drinking the house Burg, as I have to work after. IIRC, a pretty amazing house Burgundy.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
I've been stuck at work nearly non-stop since Columbus day, but I've been meaning to post pictures from my recent trip to the Finger Lakes.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PandArts
2004 Fire Block, Old Vine Grenache, Clare Valley, Australia

I'm in for 6 bottles @ $13.47/bottle. Couldnt pass up a good deal.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads