• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

txwoodworker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mixture of thrift, discount and e-thrifts.
That's some serious quality!

A few finds from today, available

Those are beautiful - I'm amazed how relatively cheap Battistoni goes for on the bay. Picked up a few from Italy on the bay for <10 ea, with combined shipping, they were a super deal. The vibrancy of the print is amazing. Great finds!!

Jompso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I lived in NC for about 8 years and one of the things I do are Mystery Shops. While in NC, one of my regular Mystery Shops were Goodwills. One of the things our assignments outlined was to look for signs that Employees were either holding merchandise back for themselves or for special customers.

That was against the GW policies and would mean immediate termination for any employee involved. I knew of one employee who was fired because she was holding back all of the sterling silver jewelry for a specific customer.
Come to LA and find me some shady goodwill people. Save me from having the coat of filth that has gathered on my hands exiting those places and the immense amount of hand sanitizer I go through that's in my car just for that establishment alone.

My Main Man

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
RE: the Martin.

Couple things to check:

1. Check the heel area to see if the wood is coming apart.

This part:

2. Look at the guitar like the below photo. If it looks flat, that means the bracing is in tact and that won't need to be fixed.

The nice thing about acoustic guitars is that they are almost always able to be fixed if anything's wrong with them. You'd want to find a quality luthier to take care of it and it wouldn't be super cheap. If it's in good shape though, GET IT. Resale on top tier acoustic guitars is great.

(sidenote: if you're within a 6 hour drive of Mpls, don't buy it. send me a PM and let me know where it is.)

Last edited:

joshmick

Reaction score
HD28 is an insta-cop at that price, imo. I'm trying to think of a problem that couldn't be fixed at that price point...there aren't many. If you end up not buying this, let me know so I can reach out to the seller haha.

Jompso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Damn bro, never ever seen Iron Heart jeans in a Japanese resell shop before. Well, there were some used IH shirts but jeans, no, sire!

Welcome back, dude!

Wow, I don't think anyone has ever apologized on here before. Good for you, bro. Crazy ass haul, as always!
Thanks for the kind words I appreciate it. And actually Iron Heart in Japan and South Eastern Asian countries can be found in abundance in markets and stuff because they have a large enough following in that region that they are often faked. I've seen pics on the Iron Heart Website threads of faked 634s and **** ups like tags stating 22/21 ounce denim opposed to 23/21 and ****. The market over there, as I'm sure you know, for them is nothing like it is here. Here it's denim heads, there the demographic skews way older. Older men with money and old men Bikers with money, are the ones wearing Iron Hearts.

Jompso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote: Does the silk on those bad boys feel as nice as it looks, cuz those are ridiculous.

Letric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mixture of thrift, discount and e-thrifts.

Holy hell this jacket is nice. I see Canali KEI's at Nordy Rack sometimes, and I always gravitate towards them on the rack without knowing what they are. I once found this super baller Tweed, but it was 2 sizes too small.
ffffuuuu.gif

That KEI line seems to embrace old-school fabrics with traditional construction and a very relaxed, classic style. I need to put one of these in my wardrobe soon. Nice score.

impuntura

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went to 2 stores looking for White Stripes, Father John Misty, Ryan Adams, and Twenty One Pilots. I came out with none of them. Later in the day I was checking out how horrible the ebay prices were on all of them and I realized that a Twenty One Pilots CD that several of my friends have (that I didn't buy, because I knew my sister bought it, and I was just going to rip the songs) goes between $400-$800 on ebay. My super fan sister said no, one of my friends is desperately looking through all of his belongings, and one friend found his and said, "yes, I would like to make hundreds of dollars on something I paid $5 on 3 years ago." Note that none of the sold listings are signed. This one is.

Thought I'd share this. Inherited this watch from an uncle I only ever met once, almost 10 years ago, at a funeral. Watch people, am I allowed to put a leather band on this? Was eyeing a black shell band on ebay.

I've been working a lot more between my two and a half jobs, trying to find one real job, so I haven't taken a thrifting trip in a while. Limited to stops before and after work mostly. This was a nice pop. Probably an orphan but oh well.
I would put that on a NATO,but that's just me.that's a sweet bracelet though.

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yea, I was going for Bonnie Prince Billy, Father John Misty, and Ryan Adams. I got nothin'. Oh well!

I was gonna go for the Dandy Warhols but got side-tracked and never made it. Did find Kiton at GW which put me in "scour entire store" mode but only pulled some Bills Khakis and vintage Hawaiian shirts.

edwardthefirst

Reaction score
Kinda close to pulling the trigger on that MP shawl collar... anyone with fit experience?
Fits very slim and short... But I can confirm, that specific jacket is made by Kiton. Really nice heavy feel. I would have kopped but it was way to short. Also, be advised, it is ventless. Not a jacket for the faint of heart. But super badass.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
HD28 is an insta-cop at that price, imo. I'm trying to think of a problem that couldn't be fixed at that price point...there aren't many. If you end up not buying this, let me know so I can reach out to the seller haha.

If it needs a neck reset, add 1000 to the price. That's probably the only deal breaker that I can think of.

shirtsnmor

Reaction score
NYC was a bust thrift wise but the food... Oh the food! Thanks for all the restaurant recommendations. Here are some finds from the past month. All currently already listed on the Bay:

These are so sick.
censored.gif
Why couldn't they be 13's

These and the one's above were thifts, but not thrift prices

Cool as hell but missing the insoles :(

100% treated silk. I have never seen that before. Made in England.

And this. Greatest ($$ wise) collab ever. Overpriced excellence. I wasn't sure if it was Mens or Womens. No size. The zipper was opposite of most mens coats but I've run into some that are on that side. Made in France. Black suede. Not sure of the trim. Looks like embossed lizard or real lizard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads