• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

OliT

Reaction score

I will trade you one mid level polo graphic sweater for that Pringle cardigan

Does it have a beer (please note, not bear) on it? If not, I am not interested.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cart full of Pendletons and vintage aloha shirts... I'm happy.

Takai

Reaction score
Stopped by the shop I grabbed the Baccarats at last night to see if they'd put out anymore, and they had not, but they had put a really nice XL Burgundy glass, not super high quality, but she's a vintage Joseph Riedel, and in perfect shape. Paid for with the change in my pocket, came home and she played beautifully. A couple more and I might even try a song.

shirtsnmor

Reaction score

Hey all, long time lurker on this and a few other threads. I've been a pretty steady thrifter/flipper for a couple of years for some of the obvious reasons (young, broke, into clothes) but have only lately refined my eye to the point where I regularly come up with good stuff. It helps that I live in a small up-and-coming city, as prices are lower and I face less competition, but there are way fewer finds of the calibre that pops up regularly on this thread. That said, I found my first Kiton recently so I figured that this was as good an opportunity to join the fray. A major pop for me; I'm still over the moon.
As soon as I laid hands on it I knew this thing was special. Almost ethereally light and soft, the fabric is a 75% cashmere 25% wool barleycorn of sorts. The Louis Boston and Kiton labels confirmed that resoundingly. No structure to speak of; I don't know the age of this piece but the fit and construction of this coat was surprisingly similar to the modern italian silhouettes favored by Boglioli and LBM etc. Some unusual details on this one: it doesn't have a chest pocket or sleeve buttons. Very minimal and casual in its styling. The color is a medium brown at a distance but rather beautiful up close, showing flecks of yellow, red, blue, and green.
From "M. Pearlstein Private". Similar unstructured quality to the Kiton above, in a wicked slate green wool/cashmere with a pick/blue overcheck. Tag is different from the Kiton, so I assume this coat has a different maker. That label look familiar to anyone? Some research informed me that Murray Pearlstein was one of the owners of Louis Boston and the principal force behind the modernization of Louis during the 1990s. He died in 2013, and it seems Louis Boston is closing (or has closed) as well. A loss to the menswear culture of the East Coast, to be sure. I'm happy to have these jackets as tokens of that era and the individuals who set the stage for the way we dress today.
Pardon my grim winter scruff (and unkempt flipper's den). The sleeves are short, but a quick feel tells me that there is more than enough material in the sleeve to let it out an inch or so. These things make me feel like those despicably cool and relaxed young italian men that comprise 90% of all tumblr street photography (sans cigarette).
Sorry if that got a little long-form. I'm looking forward to envying everyone else's finds and occasionally dropping in with something cool of my own. Would anyone object to my posting a few groups of my better come-ups? I've sold a lot of good finds but I've been lucky enough to find plenty of excellent gear in my own size lately. Thanks! Let's hope I got the spoilers right... Edit/ Did not get the spoilers right. Had prefaced the M. Pearlstein and fit pics but I lost those lines when I added spoilers. I'll figure it out.
Can you write my eBay descriptions for me? Welcome! Great finds.

Spruce Moose

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Found this sweater yesterday. Anyone know what it's made out of? It's soft but I'm not sure it's cashmere

Woofa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentleman,

Some brags for your perusal. It has been a very good week.
As always I apologize for my photography and all items not going into my closet are headed to SPOO.
Let's start with some suits:

That one is Corneliani

Sammy

Zegna

Burberry

Royal Classic

Some sports jackets:

Canali

Burberry London

Arnold Brandt cashmere

Zanella made in Italy with LP

Paul Stewart tweed

Sammy with ticket pocket and surgeons cuffs

Another AB Colombo cashmere

Jaeger

2 more Canali

DAKS

Another Canali

Peter Millar

A BB made in Scotland cashmere scarf

A pair of Burberry London linen pants

And here is where it gets interesting. Found these five today all on one rack. All are NWT except the Zegna which has a tag. Assorted sealed pockets and extra buttons. I have no experience with these types of unstructured garments so I am hoping you can give me some info. There are two identical RG. All five cannot get to SPOO quick enough.

So, are these last five rocketing this into an amazing week?
Is SPOO going to be very happy?

Shoeluv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stopped by the shop I grabbed the Baccarats at last night to see if they'd put out anymore, and they had not, but they had put a really nice XL Burgundy glass, not super high quality, but she's a vintage Joseph Riedel, and in perfect shape. Paid for with the change in my pocket, came home and she played beautifully. A couple more and I might even try a song.

AHHHH I bought some mid-range Riedels five or six years ago and broke the last of the four last year. Couldn't convince myself to spring for another $100 set yet so drinking out of crappy libby glasses. I need to start going into the office so I can actually hit a thrift now and again...

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Holy crap. Those 5 unstructured jacket... I'd be so tempted to buy them all if they were my size!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads