• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

timhortons

Reaction score
bounce2.gif

Isaia 7 fold, Eton

Good YSL 2pc suit

Oxxford Chinos

Brooks Brothers Belt

Ermenegildo Zegna Su Misura MTM 2PC Suit

Zegna Su Misura MTM 2 pc Suit

Zegna Su Misura MTM 2pc Suit

Oxxford Clothes Custom (MTM or Bespoke?!?) 100% Cashmere micro-herringbone SC
Beautiful hand work!!

Oxxford Custom (MTM or Bespoke?!?!?) 2 Pc suit, Super 110s.

Corneliani Blazer

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

:bounce2: Isaia 7 fold, Eton Good YSL 2pc suit Oxxford Chinos
Brooks Brothers Belt
Ermenegildo Zegna Su Misura MTM 2PC Suit Zegna Su Misura MTM 2 pc Suit Zegna Su Misura MTM 2pc Suit Oxxford Clothes Custom (MTM or Bespoke?!?) 100% Cashmere micro-herringbone SC Beautiful hand work!! Oxxford Custom (MTM or Bespoke?!?!?) 2 Pc suit, Super 110s. Corneliani Blazer
Great haul. Oddly enough, this is what I’m most envious of. I just never find dress belts in any kind of wearable condition. Best I’ve done were a couple of NWT stretch plaited belts in anonymous brand. They’re OK, but I’m yet to score anything decent.

Takai

Reaction score
I thought these were all either Rancourt or Ansewn.
Nope. Most are AE, some are Alden, and a couple are Rancourt.

This particular pair are the Sanderson, which is definitely an AE model, which occasionally you can catch on Shoebank for cheap. A very nice, sleek LWB if I do say myself.

highvoltorb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nope. Most are AE, some are Alden, and a couple are Rancourt.

This particular pair are the Sanderson, which is definitely an AE model, which occasionally you can catch on Shoebank for cheap. A very nice, sleek LWB if I do say myself.

Yeah, I just found the part about the Sanderson model. I think the Ask Andy thread I was reading is a bit outdated. I can't find any evidence of them being made in actual Alden factories. Only Alden Cape Cod.

rhz5001

Reaction score
While on the subject, it may go without saying, but the most valuable source of suiting information I have come across and makes for quite an aesthetically pleasing coffee table book as well. Filled with the information it should be filled with, not just the history or the specific lineages, the Savile Row "Club" or whatever, and the bios of each individual master cutters of each house etc.., but a great general source of info on a small street in London that flat out invented, in some way or form, every type of article of clothing worn for over the past 200 years or so.....

I borrowed the Bespoke book from the public library. Awesome book, great history added the respect I had for those businesses.

Nat or Fueco, ever see one of these before? Windbreaker anorak top with wetsuit material at the hems, cuffs and collar. edit: its Patagonia

Looks like a dry top for kayaking to me. Also, I miss that store.

thefastlife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
how come some Class-5 stuff goes for <$50 and some of it well >$200?

such as:

Jompso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I borrowed the Bespoke book from the public library. Awesome book, great history added the respect I had for those businesses.
It honestly is just a really great book. Not just the history of the Row and individual houses in the club, but just reading about not just the construction, but the finishing of the suits, each characteristic of a suit completely broken down and dissected, every traditional aspect of suit making explained (i.e. the bottom of your jacket suppose to be sitting exactly midway between your body and the ground, or the traditional way in which the notch lapel is to be cut and hit, at the exact midway point between the fold and your shoulder) to new variations and individual houses being known for specific styles. Like I had no idea (the houses still adhering to the classic approach), that Row suits pants have no belt loops. They feel that this little addition is needless and that they can jeopardize the drape of the jacket, all while giving the tailor the ability to prove to his peers that he is able to make the pants fit and sit perfectly on the clients body without the aid of a belt. Knowing every single detail you can about suit construction gives you a far greater respect for good suits and a far better understanding of how the one your possibly wearing right now, should actually look. Not to mention just the general information is extremely helpful for thrifting.

Last edited:

thefastlife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
any of you boot guys make anything out of this? no other labels/markings

horse's_ass

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They're nice and dark, they've got a single digit on the button (seems to be a factor with collectors, and is good), i assume a talon zipper, the single needle stitching on the inside of the back pockets is also desirable apparently. They're hemmed, which sucks. They're a small size, what is the actual waist/inseam. I think that can be a difficulty as well (but not necessarily). Nice find! I'd guess early 70s.

Great info. Thanks dude!

Takai

Reaction score
I've been looking at picking up a goretex shell, or some sort of waterproof shell, and while sorting through stuff yesterday I realized that the Plectrum jacket I picked up a couple weeks ago had a funny hand to it. Looked at the seams on the inside and realize they were all flash taped, didnt take too long to connect the dots and realize it was what I was looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads