• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

acosbysweater

Reaction score
Nice finds overall.Seattle born southern picker is an interesting story. Have not seen anything for 58 cents around here including stuff that would be worth 58 cents. Nice attention to detail from that couple.

If you take a look at the "seattlegoodwill" feed on eBay, you'll get the idea that there is a lot of talent now employed by Goodwill to sift through the donations and identify the valuable items. I don't know if anyone would be keen enough to spot this sweater amongst a stack of musty clothes, but certainly any coveted, labeled piece seen on our now famous thread, as well as electronics, housewares, furniture, etc will be spotted and never hit the store. And the stuff that does hit the store is priced at levels even above what I experienced at Savers when in Colorado. Seattle true thrift is a total waste of time; I have way more luck at consignment and vintage stores.

Last edited:

Jompso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is amazing. I'd wear the hell out of it if it were mine.
It's never too late to go back too go back to school my man! I didn't even know how to thread a sewing machine a few semesters ago.
True that... thought my schooling days were over after getting my college degree, just to find myself enrolled at the Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising about 2 years later. Even though it wasn't cheap and I'm not really using the degree I got, going back to school to learn about something your passionate about is a ******* amazing experience, if given the means and time. Your just learning more about **** you already love learning about, and you're getting a more fundamental and foundational understanding of the stuff you love.

kbadgley84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
NWT jack spade waxed messenger bag, NWT jack spade card holde. 10% rule of course

Jompso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you take a look at the "seattlegoodwill" feed on eBay, you'll get the idea that there is a lot of talent now employed by Goodwill to sift through the donations and identify the valuable items. I don't know if anyone would be keen enough to spot this sweater amongst a stack of musty clothes, but certainly any coveted, labeled piece seen on our now famous thread, as well as electronics, housewares, furniture, etc will be spotted and never hit the store. And the stuff that does hit the store is priced at levels even above what I experienced at Savers when in Colorado. Seattle true thrift is a total waste of time; I have way more luck at consignment and vintage stores.
I have a beach house on Puget Sound and last Summer I took a day trip into Seattle and hit about 5 spots and did really well, and this was going in blind, no real research or inquiries, just using an app on my phone. You guys had pretty solid thrifting situation goin on up there, sucks that now you get to join the other big cities, like here, where they price based off eBay.

Doomsticks

Reaction score
This aint the Rocky mountain featherbed om looking för right? Made in Portugal..
Found another pair of common projects in My size, that makes four pairs..

thefastlife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
e-thrift savvy bros...need some wool dress pants. any brands to keep an eye out for that are undervalued (~$50 or so) in relation to their quality?

sometimes i can find incotex but generally not.

My Main Man

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
e-thrift savvy bros...need some wool dress pants. any brands to keep an eye out for that are undervalued (~$50 or so) in relation to their quality?

They're not going to blow your mind or anything, but Banana Republic Tailored Fit pants are plentiful, fit well (at least on me) and are cheap.

PLaydice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Scored Tony Hawks 1989 alternate graphic street skate board. Lucked out on a few joes in a bin of busted figures. For some reason a clean crimson guard was in a busted bin of **** figures. I can see why the psyche outs were in there but they the night force versions so.......

This is a Advertisement with Tony Hawk talking about the graphic on the board I found.

Pic of the him Holding the skate from a magazine.

tben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They're not going to blow your mind or anything, but Banana Republic Tailored Fit pants are plentiful, fit well (at least on me) and are cheap.

They are wool blends but a few pairs I found to be of good value are Uniqlo and the Gap tailored fit, only recommend Gap because they can be had for around $20 on clearance. Well worth it.

Last edited:

Tradvocate

Reaction score

Scored Tony Hawks 1989 alternate graphic street skate board. Lucked out on a few joes in a bin of busted figures. For some reason a clean crimson guard was in a busted bin of **** figures. I can see why the psyche outs were in there but they the night force versions so.......

This is a Advertisement with Tony Hawk talking about the graphic on the board I found.

Pic of the him Holding the skate from a magazine.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
J crew has good wool pants that often go under the radar as well. I love the couple I've bought. You need to watch out though since their inseams are usually short (no break).

Jompso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I believe newer Faconnable is made in the same factories as Incotex, i.e. Incotex's factories... if it's Portugal, Romania, or Italy, you're good to go. The little tab under the top front button is a good sign, I don't know if they have the split rear seam though also.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads