• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heh. My first car was a BMW. Dad got it for me since I go something like a 1520 on the SATs or something like that.

Out of 1600 or new scale? I got a 1490 and I didn't get **** lol!

Snoogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can ask the seller for a partial refund. Then have your tailor remove one or both pleats
teacha.gif

JackFlash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kinda e-thrifted (as much as you can e-thrift a Kiton suit) and my exact size but the
censored.gif
seller told me the pants were single-pleated. Of course when I opened the box, the were double-pleated -_- Considering selling it back... Or trying to have my tailor "un-pleat" the pants?!?!

Who is really going to see the pleats with the jacket on?

Koala-T

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dude, didn't you bust a wheel on the curb doing that in your Benz? And you still do it? That takes stones.

My wife'd kill me and probably confiscate my phone if I did that on our 10-year-old Corolla.
biggrin.gif
Austin just this year outlawed all use of phones in vehicles. You can still use hands free systems, and you can use voice guided navigation, but if a cop sees you touching that screen while you are in the driver's seat, you're getting ticketed.

You can ask the seller for a partial refund. Then have your tailor remove one or both pleats
So, can this actually be done? I've always wondered, but never actually talked to someone who had had the operation performed.

A Canuker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My tailor told me that taking out a pleat is like uping the waist by a inch or so due to how the pants are cut. I believe it is far from a minor adjustment as the belted area needs to be fully removed. I have a RLPL suit with double reversed pleats that works fine but I bought it during the old crazy sales days.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guys, any thoughts on this? I'm guessing from the 30's based on the styling, possibly a homemade jobber. No tags or remnants of tags and buttons appear to be bakelite.

Great sweater.

Homemade with machined buttonholes? I'd guess hand-loomed in a factory. Can you tell is it pure wool or a blend?

FlorianQC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My post maybe lacked some deetz ^^ I already got a partial refund on it since it wasn't as described, making the whole purchase really an "e-thrift". I'm not a big fan of double pleats (no particular reason, just psychological I guess)

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd say pure wool, it's got a little scratch to it. Heres a few more shots of the buttonholes.

costanaconda

Reaction score
Good lunch stop today. Costume National Homme peak lapel suit with surgeons cuffs, Gore Tex Bean Boots, Black Red Wing shoes, couple of nice ties and a goofy, but sellable paul smith shirt. Also a nice cable knit for $1.50. Not sure of the brand, but Made in USA.

Ds13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thrift funded discount purchase.

NWT Raleigh selvedge in the perfect cut for myself.

Question for denim guys: I need to hem these because I can't realistically cuff 6" without it looking stupid. People always say chain stitching is the best but it sounds to me like it unravels way easier. Supposed benefits are looks cooler and better roping.
I'm thinking of lock stitching them.
lasts longer, and people say you can still get roping, just not as drastically.

Are there any true benefits of chain stitching over lockstitching?

And via trade with spoo:

I really needed a earth tones pocket square so I'm psyched. Socks were a bonus because you can never have too many socks :D

Thanks man! And hope you enjoy the belt!

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My post maybe lacked some deetz ^^ I already got a partial refund on it since it wasn't as described, making the whole purchase really an "e-thrift". I'm not a big fan of double pleats (no particular reason, just psychological I guess)

Flip it good.

hbkshin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On the phone with the girlfriend walking out if Nordstrom Rack and say "That was a really unimpressive rack" and the lady walking next to me gives me the most offended look

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads