• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlorianQC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nobody is going to fake a Ferragamo by making it a 7-fold.
Hey you never know bro! It looks like they fake Zegna now by putting some polyamid and **** in it
peepwall[1].gif

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Then boy would I be embarrassed to have a convo with you on that topic, holy shiit.... For months I liked to do this thing where when I would pull something awesome, I just tossed it in the basket because once its in the basket theres no way anything could possibly be wrong with it and if I didn't see it on the rack then it didn't exist. This strategy failed me and my bank account a large sum. However, good news, I now handle things like an actual adult and not a ******* idiot, so I got that going for me.

Yea, I could not believe I missed such a huge flaw. Needless to say, I'm much more intense in my inspection's these days.

Is Oxxford in good to excellent condition an instakop? Saw a Oxxford suit yesterday for $15 yesterday, but it was probably from the 80s based on the typewritten interior label and weird light grey pattern.

I pass on Oxxford all the time unless it's super recent, of which I've found exactly one SC. Of course, living in Chicago greatly increases my chances of seeing it in the wild.

edit: before I start a **** storm about the quality of Oxxford, let me say that if were still doing eBay, I'd probably be more inclined to pick it up. Though uber dated stuff from the 80's and 90's I would still leave on the rack.

Last edited:

horse's_ass

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Look at this killer vintage BB parka I found. Boy's 20 but fits like a men's small. Anyone know the approximate era that this was made?

Thought I'd offer this up here -- very nice Canali SC. 2 buttons, double vents. Super nice cloth. Missed two very small spots that are basically imperceptible due to their size, location, and color of the fabric. Cost + shipping if anyone wants it.

Finally, any of you dudes into these Jil Sander Tailor Made shirts? I have three or four, all in navy and all size 40.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Believe it or not, that's actually real selvedge. It's just unfinished or rather unsealed slevedge. Those are damn rare. @Thrift Vader actually have coped some very similar unfinished/unsealed selvedge fabric and had me bring to @troika Bro, can you post some deetz of them fabric or if you've used them to make something rad?

I stand corrected - maybe. I don't wanna open a can of worms here, but without seeing a closeup I will bet that the edge goes like this: 3x1 denim, plain woven redline, and then the weft daylighting as a fringe. If that's the case, then that denim isn't woven on a shuttle loom. Can you still call it selvedge, since after all it is a finished edge? I guess so, but I wouldn't and here's why: true redline selvedge is not particularly rare (I've found two pairs of redline 70s levis in the past 10 days). This redline fringe I've never seen.

I wholeheartedly agree that this is a rare and interesting bird, but I would do a little research and see what to call it. Maybe the levi's historian would know. I bet their women's vault gets short shrift.

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not 100%, but I've seen those labels and it looks legit.

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I stand corrected - maybe. I don't wanna open a can of worms here, but without seeing a closeup I will bet that the edge goes like this: 3x1 denim, plain woven redline, and then the weft daylighting as a fringe. If that's the case, then that denim isn't woven on a shuttle loom. Can you still call it selvedge, since after all it is a finished edge? I guess so, but I wouldn't and here's why: true redline selvedge is not particularly rare (I've found two pairs of redline 70s levis in the past 10 days). This redline fringe I've never seen.

I wholeheartedly agree that this is a rare and interesting bird, but I would do a little research and see what to call it. Maybe the levi's historian would know. I bet their women's vault gets short shrift.
Brodeetz!

Check out the 2x1. Looks similar? Unsealed? Well, not sure what the technical term is but I call it "unsealed." lol

Source

http://www.rawrdenim.com/2014/08/know-twills-3x1-2x1-plain-weave/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 97 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads