• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cj52racers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do this as well. Every receipt is held and mileage is noted on every trip that is dedicated to thrifting. Same thing with antique auctions and estate auctions. Mileage is deducted at .25 cents per mile or whatever it is. If you keep good track you will most likely be able to deduct more than enough.

Found a couple cool pieces, although not worth much I don't think.

:

Snoogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am spoiling my response below, as this is the incorrect thread for it. I thought we were discussing this in the eBay thread.
Please move anything further into the appropriate thread guys.

Ken, yea every receipt is good. If your not audited, any dollar amount under 25$ doesn't need one(so I'm told, but I take it with a grain of salt). But I would still keep them in case you have to prove your income/expenses.

I make folders for each month, and drop the receipts in there, after they are put into my bookkeeping. Those include meals, entertainment, travel expense(hotel receipts), dry cleaning or alterations needed for items that are for sale, and most importantly, cost of goods.

At the end of each year, those 12 folders/envelopes are rubber banded together and safe kept for storage.

Last edited:

Jompso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just handled some solid pieces at the Unionmade Goods Sale in time to (E-thrift?) a Drakes Grenadine from Barneys for 59 bucks, class navy blue and red regimental.... plus I bought a NWTs Brooks Brothers Makers and Merchants 7 Fold last night. Never seen a Brooks Brothers 7 fold. I have actually found 6x more Kiton Cashmeres in the wild then I have found 7 fold ties.

borbor

Reaction score
I do this as well. Every receipt is held and mileage is noted on every trip that is dedicated to thrifting. Same thing with antique auctions and estate auctions. Mileage is deducted at .25 cents per mile or whatever it is. If you keep good track you will most likely be able to deduct more than enough.

Found a couple cool pieces, although not worth much I don't think.

:

how do you tell RMC authenticity.

saw two pairs a few days ago, but my denim game sucks so I didn't kop

DanM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Don't forget mileage.

While we are on the topic of taxes is the consensus here that we have to use the accrual method since we have inventory? Reading IRS Publication 538 seems pretty clear on that one. Does anyone have a better way to track inventory than a massive spreadsheet? I'm already using Outright to track expenses/income but it doesn't look like there is a good way to split those transactions and keep track of inventory with that. If there is a plugin or something else I'd love to hear about it. 

Nope. Only if you have over $1M in gross receipts (I believe). Otherwise, cash method is the way to go.

In regards to receipts, I try to keep mine, but I'm not nearly as organized as I should be. However I use my Paypal card for all thrift purchases and meals while out, so I can very easily keep track of all expenses related to inventory acquisition.

Cj52racers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have no idea. They were $4 so I figured I'd take a shot. Stitching looks excellent. I don't know swnd that well so I'd need one of the experts to confirm

costanaconda

Reaction score
Quick stop over lunch. Jacket is a thing, right? It's in awesome condition, the light spot on the shoulder is just the sun coming in the car. Also beater longwings in my size.

hbkshin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure those RMCs are fakes. Everything I've ever read about them all agree that they should have Red/Green selvedge stitching

slyguyWT2

Reaction score
There is no minimum rule for the IRS - if you make $1, you report it. Just because PayPal isn't reporting you doesnt negate a need to file. If you made 10k and didn't report it because PayPal didn't generate a 1099, and were audited for some reason, you would be ************ with the IRS.

I was not implying that the IRS had a minimum rule. I was merely pointing out that PayPal automatically generates a 1099 at a certain point.

Jompso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

....And Maaagic ..... or am I the only one that has never heard of a BB 7 fold

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads