• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

futuremyth

Reaction score
Weird shirt no.1, possibly a nightshirt, not sure. I just thought the band collar pop-over style was cool.

Definitely not a nightshirt. Here's some "Elaine writing for J Peterman"-esque purple prose care of Lee Valley's copywriters:

It was 1986; the old homestead was still standing strong although no one had lived there for over a decade. It was home to my Grandfather who had passed away many years before. The wood paneled front door that was once painted white had started to chip and weather.
As I turned the lock and pushed the door open, dust particles flew against me, the air was stale and thick. I crossed over the threshold – my eyes opened wide with delight. The old stove was still there in the center of the open fireplace as it always stood. His old black grandfather clock still hung in the corner over the shelf where the wireless set used to sit, I opened the glass door to wind the clock as I’d seen him do many times before, but now it did not chime anymore. As I walked around the old kitchen I remembered times past, of stories my Grandfather told whilst sitting by the fire drinking a hot cup of milk, those were the days!
Each step of the stairs creaked and cracked as I gradually ascended to the upper floor. I hesitantly pushed against the closed door, it opened with a low moan. Inside, the small rectangular room was all but bare apart from an old bed frame and a large trunk, ‘treasure’ I thought. Excitedly I unbuckled the leather straps, within were some old photos and as I flicked through them I smiled, as some were of Granddad and I on a fishing trip to a nearby lake at his favourite fishing spot, that was the day he caught “the biggest Salmon he had ever seen” or so he said.
Also in the trunk were several shirts, some were his ‘Sunday’s Best’. There was one shirt in particular I recognised straight away as it was his favourite shirt. It had been worn to the bare thread and was cream with a faint blue stripe it was made of cotton and had four buttons on a half placket down the front (the buttons were gone now, probably used on some other shirt). The shirt was collarless but that’s the way he liked to wear it, you could attach a stiff collar but these were usually only used for going to mass or some other special occasion, though not used on this particular shirt. I remembered fondly that he loved this shirt, “met my wife wearing this shirt” and “they don’t make them like this anymore” he’d say thoughtfully. My Grandfather’s shirt, now there is a thought…..
The Lee Valley Grandfather Shirt bringing you back to a place you thought you’d left forever.

ReubenR

Reaction score

Here's Orgetorix's masterpiece:

Still don't know how I managed to reunited this when the pieces were sold by two different sellers from different states on different sites. Also still need to wear this in public without breaking it into separates . . .

costanaconda

Reaction score
Extremely happy about this brand new J. Crew University Coat that I found today in my size at GW. And right in time for the coldest day of the winter here in NC.

Last edited:

TJGent87

Reaction score
Extremely happy about this brand new J. Crew University Coat that found today in my size at GW. And right in time for the coldest day of the winter here in NC.
I saw a black Jcrew University coat in a sz small two days ago and its been hanging out for about a week now. If I see it again would anyone want a proxy?

kbadgley84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Koala-T

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For those interested, here is that blackwatch sc from earlier today. Welts, patch pockets, horn buttons, probably 44r, lovely beefy fabric, good stuff:

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gotta love these clearance events... I just walked out of M with 3 Brooks Brothers suit, 1 Hickey Freeman suit, an RLPL shirt, 6 pairs of Pantherella socks, a pair of Vince jeans, and a merino aran sweater for $90 less than the retail price of the cheapest suit. :slayer:

Last edited:

FENWAY

Reaction score
Snagged a couple pair of heavy wool pants...one military, Wagner & Co 1960 well made with some great details

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 97 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads