• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the place:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wallachs_(clothiers)

I usually see their name as "so-and-so for Wallach's," usually on pretty generic mid-to-low-end stuff from the late '70s to the '90s.

If they were, as Wikipedia says, the same group as Tripler and Roots, they were probably at the bottom of that pile, since Tripler seems to have sold nice own-brand stuff, and the stuff I see with Roots labels is generally a little nicer than the Wallach's stuff I've handled.

EDIT: speaking of odd brands, anybody out west know about "Le Dernier Cri?" Label also says "New York & Beverly Hills." Only thing I can find for that is a place on Rodeo that started up in '68 and dissolved in '90.

Thanks! I kept seeing references to "for Wallach's", but wasn't seeing the label. This seems to be very well made, though it fits very small (leading me to believe it's from the 60s or 70s). I listed it as a dress vest and made sure to put kilt and Royal Stuart tartan in there. Might not be worth tons, but I see @capnwes posting similar things all the time.

R01gt

Reaction score

In other news, I'll be selling a slightly used Filson 256 briefcase in otter green twill, if anyone is interested. 

Any reason in particular you want to move from the otter green to the tan? I was considering the tan 256 but recently decided to most likely grab the green. I also have the duffel in tan so I was thinking it might be a little overload on that color.

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Please don't .
If you're gonna act like the thread bouncer, you gotta go find yourself a black leather car coat.
Thanks! I kept seeing references to "for Wallach's", but wasn't seeing the label. This seems to be very well made, though it fits very small (leading me to believe it's from the 60s or 70s). I listed it as a dress vest and made sure to put kilt and Royal Stuart tartan in there. Might not be worth tons, but I see @capnwes posting similar things all the time.
Now's the time to sell it, I reckon, with the holidays here.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
hey hey, i'm interested. Always good to improve one way or another.

I know. I was being a dick. My first post on here was hilariously terrible. And I thought I was doing so well too.

catside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You shouldn't be buying that stuff period. It isn't worth anything to anyone here and you would be better with a new JC Penney shirt than a worn Armani. But don't feel bad. I've concluded that every thrifter has had to take their lumps. I doubt there is a member here who didn't start their thrifting journey coming home with dated Burberrys, busted YSL and of course, Christian Dior ties. Just keep at it.

Beginner! Today I bought a ridiculous, very dated, and busted Gucci suit just bc it was used in a play I liked. I have no use for it, and except Spoo, nobody can sell it for a decent price. There you go. We pick **** and I have been thrifting more years than at least how old half of you are. This is a disease!

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any reason in particular you want to move from the otter green to the tan? I was considering the tan 256 but recently decided to most likely grab the green. I also have the duffel in tan so I was thinking it might be a little overload on that color.

I got a good deal on a 257. It's a touch bigger (the 256 is a bit small if I'm lugging my 13" MacBook around, and I'm planning to get a 15" model in the spring).

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
...I've concluded that every thrifter has had to take their lumps. I doubt there is a member here who didn't start their thrifting journey coming home with dated Burberrys, busted YSL and of course, Christian Dior ties. Just keep at it.

Guilty as charged. Just re-donated six large size Goodwill bags back to GW - stuff I picked up over the last couple years and never should have. Probably scare up another 2 or 3 bags worth if I look in all the other closets. Orphan blazers, shirts I thought I could save, bad ties, etc. It's an education, and everyone has to pay for their education - money, work, time & effort, or whatever.

I made a large haul today, will post pics tonight. Storage space will be an issue. My closet has no space. Anyone use the hanging shelves like the one pictures above?

Have tried them - they don't hold much weight, and only useful for stuff that can be stored folded (not suits, dress shirts, blazers etc).

You may be tempted to get the ~ $20 rolling racks from Target / WalMart, and you can pack those with lightweight shirts etc but more than 5 or 6 suits, outerwear etc and they break or tip over.

hbkshin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kinda regretting leaving behind some Belstaff knitted zip ups at a NMLC for 400ish and 40% off.

dazedstate

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You may be tempted to get the ~ $20 rolling racks from Target / WalMart, and you can pack those with lightweight shirts etc but more than 5 or 6 suits, outerwear etc and they break or tip over.

This. Only I had like 12 suits on my rack (which came crashing down in the middle of the night, scaring my wife and I half to death).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads