• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Every time you post, I want to visit Texas more.

This.

Thoughts on thrifting in the SF Bay Area / Peninsula after going 10% effort for a month:

1. There is a lot of really nice clothing here. So much, that even when stores want to mark it up, they can't mark it all up, because there is too much.

2. The Goodwills and their central distribution really, really, need learn how to not separate pants and jackets on suits. Seriously.

3. OMG, there are some stores here with racks full of Canali, Zegna, Isaia, whatever... only it's all $200 a pop.

4. Competition. Much competition. It's almost funny.

5. Top 5 favorite things I've found so far: Fiorentini + Baker boots ($14), NWOB Alden suede split toe shoes ($10) NWOT Jil Sander Tailormade overcoat ($15), RRL vintage leather jacket ($10), Brioni Super 150's suit that looks unworn ($25)

Glad to see you're still around! I really want to thrift SF someday...

Last edited:

Ace_Face

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The manager at my local Savers gave me a small ticket type thing for 50% off next Sunday night (12/7) from 7-9pm. She said she was giving them out to regulars. This looks like some sort of national thing though as it mentions Value Village as well. Anyone else have one?

Kazoo

Reaction score
It was in my bag today. Friends and Family day on the 7th.

namdaemun

Reaction score
Shoutout to @Jompso for the inside info on the yoox deals! Copped 3 lbm 1911 sport coats!

----

Does anyone have or aware of a thread regarding Cyber Monday sales??

edwardthefirst

Reaction score
Sorry for the theatrics guys, I couldn't get the picture uploader to work, so I could only get one pic in
lol8[1].gif

So, I picked this thing up and it is totally mint. Seems vintage as it has only two buttons on each cuff and no vents. but its a single breasted peak lapel with flat front pants.
thumbs-up.gif

Does anyone else think it looks almost exactly like current tom ford?

The mystery is that there are no maker tags in it. It's got fabric with an edge that says "Fabric Made In Huddersfield". Also no lapel button hole. anyone got any ideas on the maker? I heard Nutters or ed sexton. Any other ideas?

Okay, here is my non-expert but decently well researched opinion and observations. There are four things about this suit that lead me to believe it is not, in fact, Savile Row.

1: The buttonhole. The buttonhole looks to be sewn using a slightly different method than that employed by Row tailors.
2: The lack of boutonniere. This is very uncommon for Row, albeit not unheard of.
3: It appears that there are only two buttons on each cuff. Again, this is not impossible, but it is rare to see this on a Row coat.
4: Lastly, the lack of vent on a garment of this cut.

So, all of these things are circumstantial, but the fact that all four are present leads me ti believe that this garment is most likely off-row, or maybe a higher end HK tailor using English cloth. Regardless, this is a REALLY cool piece, and obviously fantastic quality. Awesome find!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shoutout to @Jompso for the inside info on the yoox deals! Copped 3 lbm 1911 sport coats!

----

Does anyone have or aware of a thread regarding Cyber Monday sales??

"Someone" else just scored one too.
fistbump.gif

Yorker

Reaction score
Okay, here is my non-expert but decently well researched opinion and observations. There are four things about this suit that lead me to believe it is not, in fact, Savile Row.

1: The buttonhole. The buttonhole looks to be sewn using a slightly different method than that employed by Row tailors.
2: The lack of boutonniere. This is very uncommon for Row, albeit not unheard of.
3: It appears that there are only two buttons on each cuff. Again, this is not impossible, but it is rare to see this on a Row coat.
4: Lastly, the lack of vent on a garment of this cut.

So, all of these things are circumstantial, but the fact that all four are present leads me ti believe that this garment is most likely off-row, or maybe a higher end HK tailor using English cloth. Regardless, this is a REALLY cool piece, and obviously fantastic quality. Awesome find!
icon_gu_b_slayer%5B1%5D.gif

Totally possible. I guess we'll never really know, the mystery continues!

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure if anyone here is interested, but Flint and Tinder is running a pretty good deal on American Made underwear. 2 for $9.99.

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Coped a pair of Gilded Age Gotham selvedge for $86 to my door. Not a bad deal!

Also, coped a pair of Chipewa loggers with Vibram sole. Made in USA and Goodyearl welted boots! I'm done with Cyber Monday shopping. I guess no TV for me this year...Oh well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 45 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads