• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Letric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm curious on how you think MTL would even be in the top 6 destinations since I'm the only one posting from there and 99% i just ebay fodder :D
I've seen you post some pretty good stuff man. I'm not really sure what you mean by ebay fodder, but anything high-end like Brioni, Thom Browne, Filson, Kiton, Borrelli, Zegna, Canali gets my attention and I make a note of where that stuff was found. So far, that's my list of top thrift destinations... That whole Northeastern part of the continent gets more attractive every day.
inlove.gif

Google took over, it wants me to hit 16 different spots. That is so many spots.

*Writes down every address for future use*

Last edited:

Jompso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
16? That's like half my route.
Damn, I respect your grind. I get this thing called exhausted, it really ******* holds me back...are you just chuggin 5 hour energies, downing handfulls of adderall or what?

Jompso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've seen you post some pretty good stuff man. I'm not really sure what you mean by ebay fodder, but anything high-end like Brioni, Thom Browne, Filson, Kiton, Borrelli, Zegna, Canali gets my attention and I make a note of where that stuff was found. So far, that's my list of top thrift destinations... That whole Northeastern part of the continent gets more attractive every day.
inlove.gif

Wait til I report back before you go and do that.

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
Seriously... can you guys take like the last 50 posts (most by Jompso) to a new thread or PM or something?? It has nothing to do with bragging about thrift finds.

It's 1:30 est and I see 12 new posts and I think cool, lets see what people found today and nada, not one single post about a thrift brag.
baldy[1].gif

edwardthefirst

Reaction score
co-sign Newport Beach. A beach community with immense wealth. I would bet, since its just a beach oriented community that these brands aren't even on the map for guys a lot of these guys in their 20s and 30s and even 40s, just wearing casual attire. While the rich businessmen with the beach houses just donate their Zegna Couture, Attolini, Borrelli, and Brioni to just sit there on the shelves. I bet that place is a gold mine.
I live in Newport now, at school. Don't waste your gas, my friend. It's rubbish down here most the time. When I want to thrift I head north.

namdaemun

Reaction score
Agree

Place sucks. I used to live in Newport and Irvine. OC ... just has a different feel. IMO, LA is the best place whether it be west la to pasadena to the valley

Snoogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Los Angeles, CA AREA ... see what I did there? emphasized the area in case you missed it... the city ******* sucks, I got my couple low key spots that you couldn't get outta me if I was in Abu Ghraib. You gotta drive to the suburbs and a lot of the time that means the valley, which means 2 things, 1. Your in the ******* valley and 2. You have to take the 405 ... people are fooled if they think it's legit out here. There are a chain of stores that are called the National Jewish Womans Council or something, which you can go into and easily find stuff you can flip and make double your money on, but you will never, ever come across an Isaia or Kiton or any grail item because they put those all online, so the fun is kinda taken out of it. Then there's the Goodwills, which are so goddamn disgusting and horrible that that first step into the store and you look at that suit rack you shutter. Our 2 closest Savers are 45 minutes out of city limits with no traffic and I got a Kiton Blazer at one and then an hour and a half later got a Sartoria Partenopia Blazer and Belfast Suit at the other... but I'm pretty sure I wasn't even in LA county anymore. Basically thrifting doesn't exist, cuz even the real thrift shops base their prices off ebay. You gotta have money to thrift shop here and if you do you can find some good stuff if you have the right spots, but you can't flinch at the tags, you just gotta suck it up and know your gonna make bank off of it.
I must say, being a California resident, you don't have your area on lock-down. I know many, many successful local thrifters in LA, and I also know their lock-downs. Many are not forum members (or very inactive here, and theres a reason for that, read on), but they also don't let much slip through their hands (or those working for them). LA is a thrift mecca, and I know this because I frequent your area, and never come up short handed. But I also get a low down on whats hot to hit that day, from those who run that ****. Truck loads, no ******* joke. The grail your missing out on, or claim to never find, is getting swooped up right under your nose. It is a deadly silent kill, you have no recollection of how bad you missed, because you are never given the opportunity. Thrifting is not new in LA, flippers in the area have been active for decades, way before internet popularity. The tough part is, we are all thrifting in their wake. You reach a status in thrifting when, you let the small fish go, to constantly catch the big ones. I am nowhere near that yet, but trust me LA has plenty of them, and they know what the **** they are doing. Ruthless, savages, and always a step ahead of the majority.

All I can say is keep grinding, but don't doubt for a second that LA runs dry, or has nothing more to offer. An endless place of opportunities, if you know the right people...

Jompso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seriously... can you guys take like the last 50 posts (most by Jompso) to a new thread or PM or something?? It has nothing to do with bragging about thrift finds.

It's 1:30 est and I see 12 new posts and I think cool, lets see what people found today and nada, not one single post about a thrift brag.
baldy[1].gif
First of all it's thrift related, secondly, there would be nothing. I'll stop with commentary if it is so upsetting to you, was just looking for some feedback on stuff. Don't need to use this form for that but you guys are a good group and if nothings being posted I don't see the harm. Didn't mean to upset you, but if there isn't a thrift brag post, its because no ones posting anything, not because I'm talking. I'll take a back seat, you'll only see my come ups from here on out, didn't realize i was being such an imposition.

Jompso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I live in Newport now, at school. Don't waste your gas, my friend. It's rubbish down here most the time. When I want to thrift I head north.
Thanks for the heads up, guess I'll be heading to the Valley again tomorrow.

FlorianQC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
inlove.gif

SUP sunday crew?

Well yeah I had my share of good stuff (but most of them recently were me buying off one SF member :D). The weird thing about MTL (sorry if I repeat myself, I think I talked about it a few weeks ago) is all the "cool kids" thrifting there, for themselves. MTL is a fashion/artists/yuppies/whatnot mecca and these guys know their ****. Hopefully only a few of them do it for moneyz ^^

Letric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Computer says 2:40, oven clock says 3:40. Time to pass out. See ya in 8-10 hrs.
dozingoff.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads