• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got fucked over by a regular poster a few months ago. Hasn't posted under the same name since.
That's shady. Put him on blast on here, bro.

99% sure it is stripper bobines but i wanted to as the pros
wink.gif
Real. I had two with the same tags.

SW stuff for me today.

YSL with a 30 waist. Available for cost and shipping.

Not too sure about this one as there aren't any tags other than the size. It reminded me a bit of Devoa and Balmain so I went for it but it doesn't fit like I would have liked (my legs are too long). Slim fit. Any have any ideas on this one?

Mishka raw selvedge nwot.

Anyone knowledgable on vintage Levi's? I recognized the capital E, so I took a chance. Any information would be appreciated.

There were also two pairs of DSquared2 pants in a 29 waist that seemed recent enough, can't remember much else about them. Anyone in that size want some new jeans?

EDIT: Also picked up this Armani shirt for myself that's a spandex/nylon blend.

1000% fake! Levi's are and were never made in Thailand. Also, those tags...Yeah, super fake! Also, the letters on the Levi's red tab are lopsided. The red Levi's tag on the rear is just...Wow, so poorly done. The bar tag is really shittyly done. Yeah, it's like they are not trying anymore. Need me to keep going? LOLZ

For a few years, tons of fake vintage Levi's were coming out of Thailand and they were listed on eBay all over.

Both those ties are 6 folds but some people call them 7 folds. I don't know why they do.

This isn't a real huge value but it's a cool find for me since I rarely find any good vintage items. Type 3 trucker, single stitch, should be a big E but has ripped tag, has some pretty sweet fades, and fits me.

I have the same one!

Last edited:

guyver00

Reaction score

From the last couple days. Huge shout out to Silwarebandit for the hook up on those Billy Reid boots. It's really nice to have a good dude in the same city, who's willing to share the wealth, acting as a second set of eyes. Cheers bro! :cheers: :fistbump:

Vintage Zegna HP, small pinhole on the front that I didn't notice in-store. :confused: Dual vented.

Also a couple small spots on this one that I didn't see in-store. :fu: Hopefully my cleaner can get them out. Dual vented. No matter how many times I've seen it, I'm still amazed by the handwork on these.

This thing is sick as ****. Perforated leather Schott motorcycle jacket. Never seen anything quite like it before and so sadly, not my size.

Trad-tastic vintage navy Brooks Brothers 346 sack suit. 3 roll 2, un-darted and in perfect condition. 40R and available.

Billy Reid gray suede boots, found by Silverwarebandit, thanks again dude! N/A

That Schott jacket is sexy as ****! I've never seen one with perforations like that.

Last edited:

s_allen_p

Reaction score
I actually had a celebrity sighting in Goodwill today. Andy Dick was shopping with a friend. He rode off on a bike. He was brilliant on NewsRadio (one of the best shows ever). I wish he could get it together where someone would cast in something good.
[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Embarrasing story. i found a NWT Charles Tyrwhitt grenadine tie today. I popped it in my bag and headed off. It was only when I was in the next op shop down the road that I realised I hadn’t paid for it. I had to find another Vinnies and drop $2 in the donation tin to assuage my conscience. :embar:

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Looks like a 6-fold tie to me, which is commonly (mistakenly) referred to as a seven fold.

This. Sometimes there is a fold hidden up higher in the tie than you can see, which is why a lot of 6s are referred to as 7s.
It's no mistake. The Italians tend to refer to them as 7 fold. They have a different way of counting them and refer to the front of the tie as a "fold" even though its not. At least my tie maker does.

FlorianQC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

FlorianQC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pretty pleased to find a Bang & Olufsen Beogram 1600 at the thrift for $15 last night. Hooked it up and it works great. Not my pic, but same model:

il_fullxfull.294054658.jpg
this **** is crazy man o_O. I'm looking forward to the day i'm gonna find any B&O in a thrift store ahah

jebarne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys,

Thanks for the input. I really appreciate it. I also slept on it as well as talked it over with the wife (Key to a successful marriage; don't hide or try and sugar coat anything. Tell it like it is). With that said, I'm headed north in a couple hours with the wife's SUV.
smile.gif

Also, definitely not buying to resell. If all works out, I will be keeping this system together and will be promptly hooking it up in our family room.
Still no turntable or tapes? There is no way this dude didn't have some primo turntable. the PL3 was one that one have been top of the line around this time, but the PL1 and even the PL1000 were available in the matching finish.

a good resource for vintage audio is thevintageknob.org.

jebarne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there a thread to publicly shame assholes who dont complete their side of trade and just keep your item?
I'm 3 months into waiting for 2 guys to whom I sent shoes to send me their half.

They weren't too busy to hit me up for them, but they have been too busy to send me anything back.

I've been doing a simple "I send you something, if you like it, you send me something that will have similar ebay value," since finding a thrift item for myself is rarer than finding gold buttons.

so far, in 9 exchanges, 3 guys sent me back fair value items (in GMMCL's case, maybe more than fair value). 3 guys never acknowledged getting anything from me (I did it gratis), one, I told to keep because it went to his Dad, and 2 have never sent stuff they promised to send.

For this reason, I now wait to post most finds until they're up on ebay.

Right now, there are 6-8 guys on here to whom I would send anything of any value, and half of those I would do for free, because I've learned so much from them. Anyone else, I decide item by item.

I recently ran into a guy in a thrift store who had gotten a job offer and had to get a wardrobe. I don't think he'd ever tried on a suit in his life. 42L, with 33" pants. had a wife and baby. was fretting over the price of a $12 suit. I gave him 2 suits, 2 sports coats, 8 pair of slacks, 8 shirts, 2 belts, and a pair of shoes. He gave me a check for $35, which is all he had. I tore it up. Told him when he got on his feet to make a donation to Salvation army and mail me the receipt.

This is the kind of trade I'm into now. Helping people who need it.

ATLjon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm 3 months into waiting for 2 guys to whom I sent shoes to send me their half.

They weren't too busy to hit me up for them, but they have been too busy to send me anything back.

I've been doing a simple "I send you something, if you like it, you send me something that will have similar ebay value," since finding a thrift item for myself is rarer than finding gold buttons.

so far, in 9 exchanges, 3 guys sent me back fair value items (in GMMCL's case, maybe more than fair value). 3 guys never acknowledged getting anything from me (I did it gratis), one, I told to keep because it went to his Dad, and 2 have never sent stuff they promised to send.

For this reason, I now wait to post most finds until they're up on ebay.

Right now, there are 6-8 guys on here to whom I would send anything of any value, and half of those I would do for free, because I've learned so much from them. Anyone else, I decide item by item.

I recently ran into a guy in a thrift store who had gotten a job offer and had to get a wardrobe. I don't think he'd ever tried on a suit in his life. 42L, with 33" pants. had a wife and baby. was fretting over the price of a $12 suit. I gave him 2 suits, 2 sports coats, 8 pair of slacks, 8 shirts, 2 belts, and a pair of shoes. He gave me a check for $35, which is all he had. I tore it up. Told him when he got on his feet to make a donation to Salvation army and mail me the receipt.

This is the kind of trade I'm into now. Helping people who need it.

I've always been a little wary of the whole honor-code trading system, but haven't yet been burned. Then again, I haven't done a lot of trading.

Suit of Nettles

Reaction score
And this is why jebarne is the Mercury of SF, and why I will shortly be able to sing his praises from direct experience after our shell swap. Maybe an imitation of the Horace ode...

For those wary of the trading situation, I suspect it's just a matter of perspective. One person fears (or is otherwise apprehensive about) being disappointed; another leaves room to be disappointed.

If you're genuinely concerned, the best way (IME) is to ask them to print a shipping label through Paypal, the send you a PDF printout (IIRC) 24 hours later. After 24h (might be 48h now), they can't cancel the label, so they'd at least be out that money if they screwed you, and you can confirm that it's active via the tracking. On the other hand, this turns what should be (per jebarne) a pleasant diversion into a kind of half-assed cat-and-mouse game.

FlorianQC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hey guys, thrift-fit advice for the preppy folks out there (i know there are a lot!). Spoilered because a preppy jacket may not interest everyone :

So I found this bad guy yesterday and it's very rare when I find 56s. For 7$ I just took it :D I never really dressed 'preppy style' but I like this one and I was wondering if it were okay that's the BOC lengrth is 'just' 30.5". I know the preppy trend is to go for shorter jackets than usual but most of my jackets are 32ish. I'm a 46L since I'm 6'5". The jacket doesn't really feel weird when I wear it but I guess I'm just used to have 'my butt more covered'. Otherwise it fits me almost perfectly. I might lengthen the sleeves 0.5".

I don't understand why there is a vest in the last picture?! is it a generic tag or maybe it was originally sold with it?!

So any advices preppy guys? thrift fit to judge?
Thanks!
Sorry for the blurry pictures I,m still strying to tame my S5

Last edited:

Suit of Nettles

Reaction score
Florian, I think the 'cover your ass' mandate is more for suits than sportcoats, for which a slightly shorter cut is allowable; the trend for wearing jackets that barely cover your waist is, sadly, universal. A 30.5" BOC will probably look pretty short on your 6'5" frame, unless a goodly percentage of your height is in your legs, but it will definitely look trendy. For $7, if you wear it once under specific conditions, you've done fine.

No idea about the waistcoat, but it does look generic rather than specific.

Also, you just reminded me to PM you about something...

Last edited:

klay49

Reaction score
Speaking of trades.. shout out to atljon for sending me a sweet yellow grenadine...my half of the trade is in the mail

So he thinks

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics