• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbishop

Reaction score
It's finally spring, a perfect day to find... a heavy wool overcoat

100% wool, made in USA, near perfect condition, my size

ndifelic

Reaction score
is there a basic list of jacket brand and their subsidiary companies to look out for?

looking through the post ive made note of some of them but is there a more compehensive list?

Displacement

Reaction score

is there a basic list of jacket brand and their subsidiary companies to look out for?

looking through the post ive made note of some of them but is there a more compehensive list?

Gotta learn to earn, dude. Most of us have spent years putting our personal list of brands together.

hbkshin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I usually just walk into Goodwill, stare down the Manager until I assert my dominance, and walk out with my prize.

Takai

Reaction score
Stopped by a couple shops before lunch, and had to leave some lay. Came across an Oxxford silk SC in a 44, but the lapels were huge and sad, and it was missing a couple buttons. Then I went looking for shirts, and came across a nice Brooks Makers, but it was in a 15 1/2x 5 which means the sleeves were super long on me. Also a Gitman Gold that had been starched to hell and back, I most likely could've broken the shirt. Was looking for some Boat shoes, but alas came up short.

So I wound up leaving with just 3 ties 1 older fun Zegna, 1 Ungaro Paris Silk twill Paisley, and 1 Dormeuil Repp.

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Naw, it's easy - I walk into my local thrifts and ask them to bring me all their Tom Ford, Isaia, vintage Ray-Ban, Barbera (etc - I recite a very long list), then I sit on the leather club couches and have the cutest workers model the items and make my decisions.

In reality, I DID carry a printed list with me when I first started out - my mind was flooded with Brioni Borrelli Barbera Barbra Burberry Boglioli BBBF Balmain Balenciaga Barbour Bijan &c.... But it's an education you'll have to pay for one way or another. A lot of reading up, or a lot of buying disposable Jos A Bank suits, or combination thereof.

GM-H

Reaction score
Last edited:

MJMcRibb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stupid real job is getting in the way of thrifting right now. Did manage to pick up a few things so far this week.

E-thrift from Linda. I believed these to be shell Aldens from the listing, which they were, even though neither was in the description. Unfortunately, it appears that some cobbler college drop-out decided to add his own broguing.

A couple 7 folds. Peter Millar and Seaward & Stearn

A first for me: Civil War reeanactment jacket

Maus & Hoffman houndstooth jacket. Made in Scotland. Completely awesome

Minty BB Regent fit. Made in Italy. LP fabric suit

cdgreg

Reaction score
Are Loake shoes labeled in US or UK size? I bought the below pair of penny loafers off ebay and the item specifics had them listed as 11D (US). Unfortunately there was no picture of the inside so I could not tell before the purchase, and of course they seem about a size too big on me. Fortunately, I paid less than $20 shipped, so I figured it was worth the risk since I need a pair of black loafers. Anyways, is their printed size on the shoe US or UK? Thanks!

Last edited:

cdgreg

Reaction score
With the semester winding down, things are getting busier for me. So before I forget i need to give a few shout outs.

@GHo for the CT shirt, fits perfectly!
@cdgreg for helping me figure out how to cut shipping costs, you were a huge help.
and
@chiron for unloading his shoes into my closet, it will be a total of 6 pairs after all is said and done. Great trades.

and to everyone on here that is giving me something to read other than textbooks
baldy[1].gif

Glad I could help, maybe next time I'll be able to afford the Ferragamo's without the crazy high shipping cost, hah!

Last edited:

Koala-T

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Naw, it's easy - I walk into my local thrifts and ask them to bring me all their Tom Ford, Isaia, vintage Ray-Ban, Barbera (etc - I recite a very long list), then I sit on the leather club couches and have the cutest workers model the items and make my decisions.

In reality, I DID carry a printed list with me when I first started out - my mind was flooded with Brioni Borrelli Barbera Barbra Burberry Boglioli BBBF Balmain Balenciaga Barbour Bijan &c.... But it's an education you'll have to pay for one way or another. A lot of reading up, or a lot of buying disposable Jos A Bank suits, or combination thereof.
I agree with this. The list you've made is probably a good starting point. Use that, and keep reading the thread. You'll eventually add names to your list, and strike through some you thought were gold. And you'll also start to understand quality better once you begin to handle all those nice items from your list.

luv2breformed

Reaction score
Little guys, got a couple nice offerings for you.

Loake for CT brown double monks. Labelled size 6, guessing that's UK. Soles in great shape, some surface scratches on the leather.

Staple navy blazer. 2B, half lined, dual vent ravazzolo wool/cashmere LP fabric. I think it's a 36R/L. I wanted it to fit so badly but it didn't.

P2P: 18.75"
S2S: 15.75"
Sleeve: 24"
BoC: 31.25"

Also, for anyone looking to pick some stuff up, I've got to liquidate my entire inventory inside of 3 weeks. I've got jackets in most sizes. Nothing amazing, but generally good serviceable stuff, HF and the like, with a few gems mixed in. Send me your measurements if you are interested.

Koala-T

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are Loake shoes labeled in US or EU size? I bought the below pair of penny loafers off ebay and the item specifics had them listed as 11D (US). Unfortunately there was no picture of the inside so I could not tell before the purchase, and of course they seem about a size too big on me. Fortunately, I paid less than $20 shipped, so I figured it was worth the risk since I need a pair of black loafers. Anyways, is their printed size on the shoe US or EU? Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads