• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beck

Reaction score
a few things I found in the past month or so...everything available. Too much homework to post the reset.
ravazzolo

charvet pink paisley

80s converse 10.5

redwing 11.5

46L OrvisxHtweed

\
pure cashmere zegna Small

mulholland bros x Eddie Bauer

S. Dali reprint

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pick me up in Fresno on the way. Plenty of Latina booty here for you Barrel.

Hmmmm, sounds good but those Latinas Bulldogs? If yes, then no...Sorry, not really into the hood ones...
shog[1].gif

Best I can do is some good carnitas in East LA… Also close to a thrift.

drool.gif

^ Didn't know Hartford was better than Flat Head, but I would echo Nataku's sentiment and purchase new. APC/Gustin/N&F are lower end, 3Sixteen/RRL/Sugar Cane medium, and some of the brands sold at Blue in Green (Samurai, et al) https://blueingreensoho.com/ are the grailzszszsz

I would put Gustin along side of RRL and Sugar Cane as mid tier.
Cliche is right. It's not the color of the edge that matters, it's the difference in the actual edge. What you showed was a raw edged denim that had stitching around it. Selvedge is an actual part of the denim and a result of the looms the denim was woven on. Here are some examples of colored selvedge:

Here are some examples of non-selvedge denim:

This is not true selvedge but a lame attempt at impersonating it:

Do you see the difference? I may not have the vocabulary to properly explain this. Someone like @barrelntrigger or @size 38R or @Nataku could probably do a much better job.
+1

I suppose you could also think of selvedge like pizza… With the legit ones, there's no question that the edge/crust is actually part of the rest of the denim/pizza. Then you see the others like the stuffed crust/garlic bread crust b.s. that's obviously something added on top of the other crust/made to look like it was part of it (of course the jeans with "normal" stitching were never trying to be something they weren't). Maybe I'm just hungry.
lol8[1].gif

How about this thing.
That's a super rare collab!

STILL OFFERING A SELVEDGE DENIM GUIDE FOR JAWNZ N00BZ
lol8[1].gif

The stitching you are talking about is called serging, and it prevents the denim (or any serged fabric) from fraying. Selvedge jeans don't need it because they are self-edged on the loom.

That said, I don't think selvedge is a definitive indicator of quality denim, there are lots of nice non-selvege jeans out there.
+ 1,000

I think selvedge is overrated and gimmicky but I just can't have it any other wayzzz!!!
peepwall[1].gif

Last edited:

My Main Man

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That said, I don't think selvedge is a definitive indicator of quality denim, there are lots of nice non-selvege jeans out there.
Exactly. It's like saying that fresh cut meat makes for the best sandwich. Sure, it doesn't hurt, but that doesn't mean that Arby's has the best sandwiches. #knowledge

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
But. They're on the inside of the pants. I assume we're saying that they roll up their cuffs, but even then, that's what, like 2 inches? Anyway, whatever works.

One usually rolls cuffs a little before getting on the bike. And they're small but they move every time you pedal so they're more noticeable. However, I certainly wouldn't use them as the only piece of reflective gear I had on my bike during a night ride...

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The idea of riding my bike to work in spandex and then changing seems infinitely more annoying to me, haha

The idea of not showering when I get to work seems worse to me. Good thing I work from home these days!

leftofthedial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Only a couple of things so far this week:

Woolrich Woolen Mills Chambray Camp shirt (damn minty!) - Medium - Available.

Wings + Horns Polartec Duffle Hoodie - Small - Available.

And I took an opportunity to shoot some better shots of the Save Khaki and Ian Velardi finds.

Ian Velardi Cutaway Collar Chambray - Small - Available.
(peep the shoulder stitching!)

Save Khaki Cotton/Linen Shop Coat - Large - Available.

46n2

Reaction score
Stopped at a GW and found Isaia suit. 3-2 roll unvented. They wanted $40. I was all stoked then looked further:

I dont think that'll come out. Will it ?
Also the pants were split apart and didnt look repairable so I left the dang thing.
angry.gif

I did find a Ducati Tee for $3 though so thats cool.

jdrizzy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Happy that they worked out for you. Keep after that left toe box, though!

cheers.gif
nice dig, finally sold the caps. I was doing a long contemplation for the purchase, but i'm happy it fits alex perfectly.

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

nice dig, finally sold the caps. I was doing a long contemplation for the purchase, but i'm happy it fits alex perfectly.

I was just about to PM you with the update. Sorry we couldn't hook up before but there will, no doubt, be another pair along in a bit. :nodding:

Last edited:

jdrizzy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Three h&m suits at my VV, saw a staple grey in 38/33. How does h&m do for you guys?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads