• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Your wardrobe is exactly as I guessed, and more! I am wondering if I should do an intervention. Will involve a beverage produced by the saccharification of starch and fermentation of the resulting sugar.

Name the time and place, and it's on me, my friend. Just bring that bimmer for me to take a spin or two in....

pnutpug

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

DanM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today's finds. Not pictured: several gray flannel trousers by Brooks Brothers, and two pairs unhummed Edgar Pomeroy flat front gray dress pants. Anyone familiar with the name? One of the local thrifts had dozens of pairs of unhemmed pants that looked like they had come from a recently closed tailor - only saw two with the Edgar Pomeroy tags and thought it was worth a shot.

Brooks Brothers Loro Piana blazer.

NWT Lands End Harris Tweed

Minty Lands End Harris Tweed

Samuelsohn Super 120s wool gun club check

Neat PRL, unlabeled silk, 3x Huntsman.

Does Huntsman make their own ties? Only other tag I found:

Also, the unlabeled silk - I know I've seen this logo before, can't remember where. Probably not anything amazing, but it seemed pretty well constructed. Anyone recognize this?

Zanella cotton chinos for Saks 5th Avenue, T&A.

First shells I've picked up since last February, I believe. Johnson & Murphy Aristocraft, in need of a long soak in Renovateur.

AE... what would these be called? Dirty bucs? Tried googling that, only got a few pictures of shoes and a lot of pictures of cheerleaders... (though, I'm sure it wasn't as much fun as the above mentioned searches for sheared beaver)

Last edited:

DjangoV

Reaction score
As a reward, I'ma share some pr0n.
worship2.gif
worship2.gif
worship2.gif
worship2.gif
worship2.gif

I'll have to get back for a proper response. Currently I am unable to do so due to being in total awe and out of words. Also, I find it hard to type since I fell from my seat
drool.gif

I just started out in this hobby and my wife is already telling me not to be obsessed. When I reach your level, than she might (maybe) have a case (still... loving it!!!).

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

THREAK. ON. FUEGO. Holy holy. Congrats, guys. ---------- Maybe I've been overtaken a bit early by the Holiday Spirit, but I've been reflecting lately how fortunate I've been to have become a part of this community, to have found such a fun and interesting hobby, to have learned as much as I have, and to have the kind of wardrobe rotation that would be the envy of many a man. Some of that has come from the sweat of my own brow and cash procured the hard and dirty way -- Ebay. But much of it has come from the generosity of many of you, and I want to pause to say THANK YOU. As a reward, I'ma share some pr0n.
Ties. Random assemblage of some recent finds and some of my faves. Drakes cashmere, Cappelli, RLPL, Nautica cashmere, Jil Sander, Zegna cashmere, Tom Ford (a FREE gift extra in a trade -- seriously), T&A grenadine, Cappelli, T&A grenadine, Drakes grenadine Kiton, BB cashmere, Isaia wool 6 fold, Atmosphere, Zegna cashmere, Drakes grenadine, Bizzocchi, RLPL, Brioni, Isaia Kiton, Hamilton, Sciunnach, Truzzi cashmere, Etro wool, Brooksfield, Barbera, unknown, Jeff Rose bespoke, Barbera I have literally 4 drawers full of ties as or nicer.
Shoes (couldn't fit them all in one shot; there are some hidden behind the bed):
L to R, AE Sanford, Mercanti Fiorentini, Florsheim Royal Imperials, TBNY, Barrie Ltd shell, Alden J&M Signature Made in Italy dubmonks, Woolvie 1000 mile, RM Williams, PRL by C&J shell
Lloyd & Haig shell, AE Coppel, Alden shell full strap, Bally suede full strap, Martegani dubmonks
C&J jodhpur, Bally, Magnani, Unknown shell, Alden, Alden
J&M, RLPL by Sassetti Church's, Santoni fatte a mano for Zegna, AE Park Ave Santoni fatte a mano, Meermin dubmonks, Peal [Bally, Martegani] TBNY, AE [Alden] Bruno Magli, Loake for Tyrwhitt
This is my "current season" sport coat closet. L to R (absent is the 100% cashmere Oxxford that's on the bed in the shoe shot -- waiting to go to the tailors to have buttons swapped): Abboud chocolate velvet blazer (bought at a sample sale with an employee discount), Huntsman, Zegna, Canali, Vintage NYC-based bespoke maker I can't recall, Orvis USA, Vintage blackwatch, Isaia, Isaia, Hickey bespoke 100% cashmere, Paul Stuart 100% cashmere, Daks, Vintage tweed, PRL Corneliani, Isaia, HF for Gieves 100% cashmere, HSM Gold Trumpeter, Khulman 100% cashmere, Isaia, PRL USA, Brooks w LP fabric, Zegna cashmere, Canali, Paul Stuart custom, Pendleton, Buncha waistcoats, including Faconnable, Canali, Corneliani
IMG_8108_zps0665bc36.jpg
My current season suits Samuelsohn for Carroll & Co, St Andrews, Richard James, Alexandre, PRL Corneliani, Samuelsohn for Paul Stuart, Loro Piana, PRL USA, Kiton, Brioni, Zegna, Kiton, Caruso, J Press, Sammy for Paul Stuart, St Laurie, Caruso, Sammy for Paul Stuart x3, Hickey, Anderson & Sheppard, Sammy for Paul Stuart, Buncha pocket squares
IMG_8109_zps07f032f8.jpg
And this is the offseason stuff: L to R: Tuxes include Zegna (BNWT when someone proxied it), Abboud black label (again, ee discount), and several cool smoking jackets, J Crew linen, bespoke Italian maker I don't recall, Attolini, Sartoria Italia, PRL USA linen x2, Corneliani, Etro, HSM bespoke, PRL USA, Battistoni cashmere. Shirts include BBBF and Cucinelli J Press, PRL USA, Sammy, HF, Zegna su misura, Sammy for Stuart, Alexandre, Samuelsohn, and some velvet blazers by makers I don't recall.
IMG_8111_zps0df2ef93.jpg
Edit: somewhere in the SC rack there's a Loro Piana and a Samuelsohn I forgot to list. ------------------- So, again, to say that I consider myself fortunate is a major understatement. But I owe a lot of that to a lot of you. So, again, thank you.
Those C&J boots look like they fit you a little too tightly. If only you knew someone with a foot about a half size smaller than you. :stirpot:

woodchuck312

Reaction score
I don't quite have the collection that GMMcl has but it is growing. I had to go through the wardrobe yesterday as it was getting a bit too full. Seems like every few months it gets an upgrade. I started out with a closet full of Polo and Jcrew. Then upgraded into a closet full of very nice Brooks Brothers. This weekend I ended up getting rid of most of the BB as it has been replaced by Borelli, Canali, Zegna and Oxxford.

Recently there has been a lot of chatter over Pendleton. You really really have to look over it close in stores. Moth holes and shrinkage are very common problems. You only want the wool stuff. Their cotton stuff is mostly Chinese junk. The only Pendletons that really bring in the money are the Board Shirts with the loop collar. Vintage bring in more money. Black Watch and shadow plaids bring in the most money.
The other Pendletons that bring in money are the heavier mac type and also the limited or heritage edition blazer types.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads