• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevenkmason

Reaction score

Pickups from this weekend-
Almost new Florsheim Royal Imperial 5 nail V-Cleat....I believe this is shell cordovan too....the model # is not on the AAAC list (kind of hard to read in the photo but 97624), but I found a pair online w/ the same # for shell....leather is in such good condition though made me think they could have been corrected grain, but after finding one online w/ the same model # I think they are shell (also have the green stitching on inside logo).. Can any experts confirm or not? (Where is the capnwes signal when you need it? :D )
BB Gingham Check SC, partically lined, keeping (tagged 41 IIR)
This thing is crazy....pale green (color did not come out very good in photo) 100% silk partially lined Zegna SC/Jacket ??, patch pockets, no sleeve buttons...
Kids XL Robert Graham......
NWT XL Polo Plaid Flannel
BB short sleeve rugby, XL
Zanella Flat Front Cotton Blend Pants, 36 (keeping) Gucci tan long sleeve, size 17 NWT Fall colors BB Paisley Tie
BB Madison Fit 46 XL Silk /Wool /Linen Blend SC shoulders-20.5, pit to pit 25, sleeve 27, length from BOC- 34.5
PMed on this!!!!

Lysander

Reaction score
Highvoltorb,

Thank you, the username comes from Lysander Spooner. One of my favorite American thinkers.

I had quite a haul this weekend myself. I found a suit that's only labeled " Tailor S.Polidoro Napoli" It's a beautiful suit that happens to fit me perfectly; like it was tailored for me. Tons of hand work, and fully canvassed.

Other than that find the sainted bride, and I had a decent weekend. Brought home a couple of bags full. Once I figure out how to post pics without screwing things up, I'll jump into the fray.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I found a similar men's pair last summer. I consigned with Spoo and we got really good money for them.

Thanks! but yours were real croc...these are not:(

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yeah, things have definitely changed. However, speaking as someone who remembers the thread during those days, this thread wasn't really anything special. Just another thread. Sometimes 3-4 days would pass before someone posted up something and it was usually only 1 post. Nobody talked about sw&d, records, art or furniture. I think I was the only one who knew something about or cared about sw&d at the time since this thread is in the Men's Clothing section. Sure, I miss Pejsek's mind-blowing finds every time he went out and I could really do without the giant photos of ancient Jos. A Bank suits and such, but there was no sense of community then. This thread has become a sub-community in it's own and I love it. :slayer:

Sadly though, some don't think the same way I do or just faded away for other reasons, but it seems many of the early heavy-hitters from this thread have since disappeared.

Truth. It seems like once people get enough knowledge, they just dip out to go at it. I just havent had time to thrift recently at all, and with the general competition in SF im not finding the luxe level **** any more. Oh well, time to find a new hobby.

Btw did anyone pick up anything at phillip lim x target today? I figured maybe some people here might do that to flip.

DanM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Lysander: Welcome! I like your username.

DanM: You ever venture up to Dayton? I tried my luck up there yesterday. Here's what I found:

Would love to trade some of this stuff btw. Otherwise it'll end up on eBay. I'm like slightly larger than Brianpore in everything. 

Funny you should mention it, I was up there a few weeks back and picked up 7 pair of Allen Edmonds, some Bean boots, and a number of other goodies. Don't remember I I posted pics or not.

Last edited:

hbkshin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Truth. It seems like once people get enough knowledge, they just dip out to go at it. I just havent had time to thrift recently at all, and with the general competition in SF im not finding the luxe level **** any more. Oh well, time to find a new hobby.

Btw did anyone pick up anything at phillip lim x target today? I figured maybe some people here might do that to flip.

Thread literally took me from finding crap to finding semi-decent crap. I think the turn around was when I found that Hermes coat. I probably read every page of the thread and google learned the **** out of brands to understand what to look for.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I dunno, doesn't seem to far off from the Tommy Hilfiger we had. (Some of them, anyway).

I'd also like to know if Lim x Target is something that's going to sell out before I can get there.

Dolfan954

Reaction score
Lysander: Welcome! I like your username.

DanM: You ever venture up to Dayton? I tried my luck up there yesterday. Here's what I found:

Would love to trade some of this stuff btw. Otherwise it'll end up on eBay. I'm like slightly larger than Brianpore in everything.

Ferragamo Women's Shoes. Fit the girlfriend perfectly. Can anyone tell me about the leather? I'd love to hear that it's real gator or croc or something and not just embossed. Close up in the spoiler.

AE Waldens 9.5C

Some decent outerwear. Keeping the LL Bean. Women's, but I'm gonna rock it anyway.

Polo Large

Dat throat latch

LL Bean for me.

Vintage Woolrich Large.

NWT Spiewak Shell. Makes me want to get back into skiing as this would be perfect. Lots of vents and hidden pockets and stuff. Small but without the zip in liner it would fit a medium pretty well.

BB Fleece XL, Dunhill for me, Orvis short sleeve Large

Haven't picked up a bragworthy suit in ages. Cherry popped here.

Dat purple overcheck.

Great finds! But that suit....

Highvoltorb,

Thank you, the username comes from Lysander Spooner. One of my favorite American thinkers.

I had quite a haul this weekend myself. I found a suit that's only labeled " Tailor S.Polidoro Napoli" It's a beautiful suit that happens to fit me perfectly; like it was tailored for me. Tons of hand work, and fully canvassed.

Other than that find the sainted bride, and I had a decent weekend. Brought home a couple of bags full. Once I figure out how to post pics without screwing things up, I'll jump into the fray.

Nice Avatar. My EDC, too. Be careful with that picture on this forum and that thread in particular...

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Ah, thanks! No biggie. Any telling signs or you just know from years of experience?

Little of both, but gator/croc has much deeper, natural lines, like fingerprints or the creases in your palm. You cant fake the intricacies and depth.

matty long legs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Both NA.

No name PS. Silk. Made in Italy. Hand rolled edges.

AE Chester wingtips. In fantastic shape. Fill a hole in my wardrobe, but I doubt they'll get much wear.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
READ THIS ENTIRE POST!!!

Found these Gitman Bros, Made in Italy, pants last weekend. Can't find much on them and am beginning to think they were a bad buy, even at $3.99

Practically new...............................

Apparently worn, maybe once, by a Phillies fan...................

Who didn't know exactly where was the best place to store his cash.......

Guess they were worth the $3.99 after all.
No one ever said Phillies fans were the smartest folks in the world.

Last edited:

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dunno, doesn't seem to far off from the Tommy Hilfiger we had. (Some of them, anyway).

I'd also like to know if Lim x Target is something that's going to sell out before I can get there.

Yes. Probably all of it. I went around noon, about 4 hrs after opening, and a lot of the stuff was gone, especially the smaller sizes. I ended up going to 3 targets to get all of what I wanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads