• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ Quaaludes

Reaction score
FYI Ralph Lauren Collection =/= Ralph Lauren Purple Label

EDIT: JK those woven oxfords and spectators posted were RLPL however their are other items on that DSW page that are called "Ralph Lauren Collection" that are not RLPL.

Yeah DSW for some reason labels all under the brand 'Ralph Lauren Collection', but closer inspection (and thanks to a guide posted here on StyleForum!) I noted that several pairs were in fact RLPL.

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just made the collegiate rowing team. Spent lots of time and will spend loads more on one of these.
Congrats, man! That's one hell of a accomplishment! So, how you gonna find time to thrift?

aglose

Reaction score

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Somebody get these!
lol8[1].gif

http://www.shopacrimony.com/products/unif-space-out-short

edwardthefirst

Reaction score
Alright, finally getting around to posting this. This is the name inside the bespoke Henry Poole seersucker I found, the one that I measured as being a 65XXL.

If you can't read that because of the cruddy picture, it says "Mr George W Couch III". Yep. That's right.

div25sec9

Reaction score

My wife and I honeymooned in Quebec City and Montreal, and I'm pretty sure nothing will top the poutine I had in those cities. I'm staying at a hotel that supposedly has pretty good poutine at the attached restaurant, so we'll see.

I'm not sure if you've spent much time in Canada before, so you might know this already. Western Canada is not at all the same as what you experienced in Montreal and Quebec City.

If you have an extra day and transportation, I would suggest skipping out on thrifting and head out to Banff. It's only about 1.5 hours west of Calgary. The Rockies are awesome and are worth the trip if you have some time and have never been. The day park pass in only $20 or so...

...there also is a bigt of a rivalry between Edmonton and Calgary here in Alberta, so if you're ever looking to fill in a conversation gap, just comment on how bad Edmonton's sports teams are and you'll be golden. Calgary's Stampeders are 8-2 and Edmonton's Eskimos are 1-9

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thrifting in Canada is a different ball-game to that which you Americans are used to; prices are way higher. Goodwill prices are $6 shirt, $17 suit, Value Village (Savers) run $7+ shirt and usually $18+ as suit (if the recognize the brand, they have no problems marking it up 3-4X as much).

Hmm, Canada must have wiped off on Minnesota or visa versa since we're so close. Prices have been exactly that here in the TC area for over a year. Havent' seen a shirt cheaper than $5 for years. Most shirts are at least $6.99, RG, Polo RL, Thomas Pink - $8.99. It sucks. I miss the days of $1 shirts, $4 suits and .25 ties.

Hoofit

Reaction score
Found some great things today.
Brioni Suit. Thing is tiny.

EZ Sport Coat

Paul Stuart Tie for the trads out there.

Last edited:

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thrifting in Canada is a different ball-game to that which you Americans are used to; prices are way higher. Goodwill prices are $6 shirt, $17 suit, Value Village (Savers) run $7+ shirt and usually $18+ as suit (if the recognize the brand, they have no problems marking it up 3-4X as much). Calgary has had some good scores for me for thrifting; but as with all of it; it's mainly luck of turning up at the right time. There is a lot of oil money in that town, so sometimes there are good finds to be had.

As mentioned; you're going to be in the wrong part of the country for poutine; that's a french-canadian item from eastern canada....what you'll see in Calgary (if you can find it) is fast-food versions of it, not worth getting.

Thrifting in Tennessee is worse - $25 for a 2 piece suit no matter the brand or condition. $20 for an orphan blazer. Same prices at the 8 or 9 different GW's I visited there. By comparison, blazers are $5.94 at all my local GW's.

Shoeluv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alright, finally getting around to posting this. This is the name inside the bespoke Henry Poole seersucker I found, the one that I measured as being a 65XXL.

If you can't read that because of the cruddy picture, it says "Mr George W Couch III". Yep. That's right.
Is he famous for more than owning Couch distributing? Because I had to google him so wondered what the "Yep. That's right" was about, would people on the West Coast recognize that name?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads