• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thrifted discounted for $200 from Sports Authority! That thing is like $600 retail so not bad! The bag was suppose to be 100 lbs but it feels like 85...Oh well, thrifted some shorts from GW and got a 30 minutes work out! Damn, my shins hurt! I'm going to be sore tomorrow...Hurts so good!

Last edited:

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First sale was last Sunday. I think they had some site issues and are working to get it going again.
I hope they will make the 9/11 deadline! So much good stuff!

mrcmcklwht

Reaction score
1) Why?
2) What size?
3) Go get them.

I don't really flip and couldn't decide if I liked them. I think they were size 45. Ok, thanks! don't think they will be there though
Please tell me you're kidding. Passed on Jimmy Choos for $25?!
ffffuuuu.gif
I also regret passing on C&J loafers from the same store like a year ago

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So was this next piece.....
Harry Hall Tweed Fox Hunt Hacking Jacket, with weather proof interior map pocket and throat latch.
Thanks for all the positive feedback guys....Couple more then? My second ever Chipp piece. Sweet diamond weave tweed hacking jacket
Absolutely and mercilessly murdering it. Today. Taking one last chance to wear the summer weights before the weather turns foul and cold later this week. (Anticipatory Upside: TWEED!)
HSM Finamore J Crew Trafalgar Loro Piana Pantherella Martegani
EDIT: Oh yeah, I forgot. Couple of stops yesterday. TJX yielded a new pair of spreezy, fall weight Panthys. And a couple of other shops yielded a J Press trench, Loro Piana trou x 2, Mabitex trou w/ LP wool x1 and Brioni trou x 1. All from the "scratch and dent" file, but also all half price, so worth the investment. Plus a spreezy pair of glenplaid flat fronts with a pink -- yes PANK! -- overcheck by MakerUnknown (oh, you never heard of them? Weird) for me. Pics later....

Last edited:

SeaJen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Absolutely and mercilessly murdering it.

Today. Taking one last chance to wear the summer weights before the weather turns foul and cold later this week. (Anticipatory Upside: TWEED!)

HSM
Finamore
J Crew
Trafalgar
Loro Piana
Pantherella
Martegani

ATLjon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's no other-wordly level thrifting in Calgary, right? Will I be missing anything if I focus on work (and poutine) while I'm there and don't t casually saunter into any thrift stores?

futuremyth

Reaction score
There's no other-wordly level thrifting in Calgary, right? Will I be missing anything if I focus on work (and poutine) while I'm there and don't t casually saunter into any thrift stores?

Naw. Mostly Value Village (Canadian equiv. of Savers). Though I found a cashmere Cesare Attolini jacket there for $13 once. Unfortunately you're also in the wrong part of the country for poutine as well, most places here still think poutine = shredded cheddar and ****** gravy. PM me if you want ideas for other things to do, and if you do want to hit the racks, I'd be happy to take you to a few spots.

s_allen_p

Reaction score
I have a similar pair, only with wood buttons, and stamped "Nantes". I took them by Mister Freedom, and was told they were French military from the 40s.
Nataku or TonyLamer - any info / hints on these? I posted them here a while back and no replies so either they are mystery pants or were missed... Heavy wool military trousers (nearly 3 pounds if I remember correctly). Metal buttons marked "Equipements Militaires". An ink stamp inside the waistband that appears to read "Agostini", "92 C" (92cm waist size?) and "3 49" inside a circle (March 1949?). Hidden buttons on the fly and back pockets. 3 buttons sewn at the top of the waistband in back. Extra wool material sewn inside bottom hem, presumably to provide longevity so the hems did not wear through rubbing up against boots. Aside from some chips to the paint on the metal buttons, appear unworn. Any info appreciated!

FaceOfBoh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nothin insane but just like most other places: patience is rewarded. I've found some nice stuff (a Canali Cashmere overcoat last year) but there's not a ton of low-hanging fruit.
t

edwardthefirst

Reaction score
Holy cow that's ginormous. I'm 6'1" and 185 so I can totally imagine how big that thing is. Is the name "David Byrne" on it anywhere?

0.jpg
Sadly no, as much as I love Talking Heads. However, there IS a name on the inside tag. It's hilarious. I'm just not sure about the protocol for posting pictures of names like that? Is it cool? If so, should I post it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads