• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shiny

Reaction score

Found a pair of like new pair of Maui Jim sunglasses at the thrift today, $2.99. Threw them on real quick and discovered there are prescription lenses. :brick: I would have kopped but the line was long enough to not make it worthwhile. Worth a trip back? They were these:

Yes, if you like them. Maui Jim has a refurbishment service where they can swap out the lenses. Kinda like AE. You can ask that they give you some non prescript lenses or your own scripts. Last time I check this service was $60 or so.

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thats what raw selvedge looks like when you wash it/dry it in a conventional washer/dryer

This may not be the proper forum, but is there a way to clean raw selvedge then? Or are you stuck reliving every spilled beer and baby spit up and grass stain you ever come across? There is a dizzying array of advice on cleaning and maintaining selvedge out there, and it's pretty intimidating -- especially for a crotchety old fart who still thinks jeans should be a low maintenance, comfortable alternative.

MarkThomas

Reaction score
Yes, if you like them. Maui Jim has a refurbishment service where they can swap out the lenses. Kinda like AE. You can ask that they give you some non prescript lenses or your own scripts. Last time I check this service was $60 or so.

If they are owned by Luxottica, you can call Luxottica directly and order new lenses for around $20 I think.

This may not be the proper forum, but is there a way to clean raw selvedge then? Or are you stuck reliving every spilled beer and baby spit up and grass stain you ever come across? There is a dizzying array of advice on cleaning and maintaining selvedge out there, and it's pretty intimidating -- especially for a crotchety old fart who still thinks jeans should be a low maintenance, comfortable alternative.

I generally follow the method explained by Jesse here:

Ken P

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I generally follow the method explained by Jesse here:

+1 Just avoid the spin-cycle and you will be okay. The creases in the above denim are caused from the jeans being balled up/stuffed into a washing machine. Admittedly I do most of my soaks in the washing machine as it fills and holds water better than my tub. The key is stopping it after the basin is filled. and carefully placing your jeans in. Taking them out before running the rest of the cycle and air dry- always air dry!

ocooney

Reaction score
Haven't posted or found anything bragworthy in a while. But things are looking up:
Tops

Ugliest, most embroidered skeet I've seen, McQ Sweater and RRL Made in US vest

Ties

Dormeuil (first..decent pick up?) JPress Bull/Bear, Domenico Vacca 5 fold (first), Brioni, Armani

Pants:

NWT Naked & Famous reverse fade and NWT McQ/Alexander McQueen denim

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Was on the fence about going out tonight as I've been in the midst of a very dry spell. Ended up being easily my best night ever. Notable firsts: Charvet, Turnbull & Asser, RLPL, Isaia. Excuse the terrible pics, too excited to take proper ones before going to bed. [
URL=http://www.styleforum.net/content/type/61/id/924732/]
LL
[/URL] Loro Piana cotton trou, Brunello Cucinelli cords
Alfred Sargent chelsea boots, 13D if any bigfoots want to trade Isaia, Hackett, skeet, RLPL Charvet, RLPL, Hermes, D&G x2 (pseudo-peekaboo cheesecake tie) Paul Smith x6 Isaia x2, Duchamp, Turnbull & Asser x2 Etro x3, Dunhill x2, cool Boss polka dot knit PRL x6 pour moi (except the golf and sailing ties, available for cost + shipping to any interested parties) Zegna blazer for me, ugly-ass branded buttons I'll have to replace plus a pile of other flippable-but-not-bragworthy stuff.
Great haul! Wow! :slayer:
I got some things today that I usually dont get or find on the regular. Bunch of randoms and All available
and the best for last Apparently this is like the Kiton of belts. Buckle is made of real silver
Wow - so much awesomeness. That belt.... :drool: I don't know left right right on sneakers but those Nikes look like $$$$
My firm is in the process of opening an office in LA, seriously considering applying for the same role that I do here... wouldn't particularly help my career, but the thrifting and being close to the beach................................................................ Am I nuts? How much is reasonable rent/price for a condo in West LA??
My wife is from SoCal so I get my LA fix from time to time. It's a really cool area with great weather (In my opinion). My only gripe is the traffic and driving. I couldn't do it. People regularly doing 90+ on the freeways weaving in and out of lanes is just insane. I mean, I've done high speeds through Nebraska and such where it's me and a few other cars scattered widely on the highway but with people on all sides of you is crazy. That and the traffic.
Dumb name, cool T. farm tactics N/A
Bandit, you've been killing it with the SW&D lately. Love Farm Tactics. Sadly the stuff rarely pops up on the bay in my size and I'm too cheap to spend retail price on a t-shirt. Cool stuff, though!
Haven't posted or found anything bragworthy in a while. But things are looking up:
Tops
Ugliest, most embroidered skeet I've seen, McQ Sweater and RRL Made in US vest Ties
Dormeuil (first..decent pick up?) JPress Bull/Bear, Domenico Vacca 5 fold (first), Brioni, Armani Pants:
NWT Naked & Famous reverse fade and NWT McQ/Alexander McQueen denim
Nice finds! That Vacca tie is gorgeous and those jeans are :slayer: Another slow day today. Picked up some bow ties. Left a bunch of dated 90's Talbotts and Carrot & Gibbs. No classic patterns.
Thought this was cool. No way is it that old, though. I'm guessing it's from the mid 60's.
Hard to find this as a complete set and with the box not trashed.
Some women's stuff. Lulu for the wife and R&B for the bay.
And I picked this up for 1/2 off at the Sally.

Last edited:

MJMcRibb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Picked up a few things at lunch.

Please allow me time to respond to the countless PMs that I will undoubtedly receive on this pickup
lol8[1].gif

Donald J Pliner. Made in Italy

Mezlan w/ Croc cap toe

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Going to grab some after work drinks with my wife, sorry for the completely ****** first pic, no light in my living room right now.
Jacket: glen-plaid HF 90% off at the rack
Tie: navy grenadine by RT, thrifted
Shirt: HF, thrifted
Trousers, Incotex, thrifted
Shoez: Alden suede wingtips, thrifted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads