• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

THRIFT STORE FIRST!
18.5-ISH WAIST
JAPANESE SELVEDGE DENIM
"THAT STUFF'S MADE IN NEW YORK CITY!"
"NEW YORK CITY?"

AVAILABLE.

:slayer:

.​

Last edited:

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

CLUB MONACO LIGHT PANTS
Size 30, TTS
Exactly what I need for my wardrobe...wrong size. :fu:
AVAILABLE. If anyone could point me to the corresponding style on the web site, that would be awesome.

BILLS KHAKIS, 42
BLACK OR MIDNIGHT BLUE.
AVAILABLE!

s_allen_p

Reaction score

My firm is in the process of opening an office in LA, seriously considering applying for the same role that I do here... wouldn't particularly help my career, but the thrifting and being close to the beach................................................................

Am I nuts?  How much is reasonable rent/price for a condo in West LA??

There are lots of reasons to make a move to LA, but I would say thrifting is not one of them. Depending on what city you currently live in, the difference in the cost of living is very unlikely to be made up with ebay sales. My wife and I are looking to buy, and I can tell you, the market is brutal. For $350k you could probably find a less than desirable condo that feels more like a first apartment, in a neighborhood with the occasional discarded mattress on the sidewalk. If you want something nice, in a neighborhood you enjoy stepping out into, maybe $600k+ (+$300-$600 a month in HOA fees). Rent is all over the place. If you have, or plan on having kids (my wife and I thankfully are both whole-heartedly against it) consider that most people here either send their kids to private schools (college tuition level money), pay premiums to live in a neighborhood with a good public/charter school, or commute an hour plus to live in an area that has both good schools, and is affordable. I only mention schools as it seems to be the major topic of conversation among anyone with children.

I love living in LA, and I recommend it if you live in a city that is boring and/or cold; but don't take the LA thrift hype into consideration when making a decision to move here.

Ken P

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

CLUB MONACO LIGHT PANTS
Size 30, TTS
Exactly what I need for my wardrobe...wrong size. :fu:
AVAILABLE. If anyone could point me to the corresponding style on the web site, that would be awesome.

Believe that's an older label (by atleast 2 years or so). Probably don't make those exact pants anymore- although likely you could find something similar.

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of horn buttons, just harvested these because the previous owner of this Isaia jacket clearly got blasted with some bird-shot. :fu: :censored: :angry: Not the worst $1.90 I've spent though.

Also, phase one of the Lumberg costume: complete.

MarkThomas

Reaction score
Picked up a pretty good tie-haul a couple days ago. Haven't gotten around to snapping pics yet, will soon. Today, however, I didn't find much but did grab Marvin Gaye's "How Sweet It Is..." vinyl. Jacket was pretty beat but the vinyl itself is in great shape. Listening now. Mmm, so good.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There are lots of reasons to make a move to LA, but I would say thrifting is not one of them. Depending on what city you currently live in, the difference in the cost of living is very unlikely to be made up with ebay sales. My wife and I are looking to buy, and I can tell you, the market is brutal. For $350k you could probably find a less than desirable condo that feels more like a first apartment, in a neighborhood with the occasional discarded mattress on the sidewalk. If you want something nice, in a neighborhood you enjoy stepping out into, maybe $600k+ (+$300-$600 a month in HOA fees). Rent is all over the place. If you have, or plan on having kids (my wife and I thankfully are both whole-heartedly against it) consider that most people here either send their kids to private schools (college tuition level money), pay premiums to live in a neighborhood with a good public/charter school, or commute an hour plus to live in an area that has both good schools, and is affordable. I only mention schools as it seems to be the major topic of conversation among anyone with children.

I love living in LA, and I recommend it if you live in a city that is boring and/or cold; but don't take the LA thrift hype into consideration when making a decision to move here.

Well said, and even though I've dreamed of living there my entire life, California's situation is only going to get worse, and that's a guarantee. It's a real shame, too, it's such a beautiful place. The politicians and the people who elect them seem pretty determined to eventually make it nearly unlivable for anyone other than those on the gov dole or the elite.

Last edited:

Ace_Face

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Found a pair of like new pair of Maui Jim sunglasses at the thrift today, $2.99. Threw them on real quick and discovered there are prescription lenses. :brick: I would have kopped but the line was long enough to not make it worthwhile. Worth a trip back? They were these:

aglose

Reaction score
Derail incoming. Hopefully someone will PM me though and not waste everyone's time.
So does anyone here have an MBA or a real estate license? Either of the two please PM me I have many questions.

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went to a small hidden thrift shop today that I haven't been in a while. This is the place where I pulled all of the 50L Hickey including the NWT last year and some other stuff.

Unfortunately today it was pretty empty. There were a pair of Church's Custom Grade black captoes that the uppers were in good shape, but the sole was worn through to the cork. If they were my size I would have picked up and gotten them re-soled, but they're a size 11 UK.

Oh, but I did e-thrift some flat-front Zanellas in brown, BB gray cords, a gorgeous Ben Silver tie, and a pair of NWOT C&J Conistons.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads