• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg613

Reaction score

Ask Greg613 what he though of it after he went out after dark to this place....

Wes speaks the truth. When the sun goes down, York gets scary. My brother in law and I made the decision to walk to that convenience store one night as it was only a couple of blocks from our hotel and almost immediately regretted it. People just hanging out in alleys, on stoops with bandannas covering their face, a random loud bang which may or may not have been a gun shot. We were just two guys in suits taking a stroll through it all and not being incognito at all.

I did walk around the town by myself one afternoon and you could tell what used to be there. There were many historical buildings that were great, and one castle. I didn't feel unsafe during the day, but I would not make the night walk again.

pnutpug

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Speaking of jobs, and I know this is a thread derail but I'd like to hear your opinion on my conundrum.

Currently working for a company that pays ok but great benefits very accomodating for my school schedule and is just a very easy job.

Or...

Got a job offer that pays more than double... But very intense managing a territory of retail locations that involves long hours, lots of travel and no chance of continuing my school. Not in my career choice but pays what I would make once I graduated anyway...

I just moved and got married so this decision is killing me...

Every situation is different, but nine times out of ten, finishing school is the right call. Jobs come and go, but an education lasts forever. And studies have consistently shown that college graduates make more--way more--than non-graduates over the course of a lifetime.

Shoeluv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Every situation is different, but nine times out of ten, finishing school is the right call. Jobs come and go, but an education lasts forever. And studies have consistently shown that college graduates make more--way more--than non-graduates over the course of a lifetime.

This is true, there are exceptions to the rule but there is usually a reason there is a rule in the first place. I dropped out of college after a co-op position became a full time position. 20 years later I never returned to school, and it took me 15 years to catch up with my contemporaries. What I mean by that is I started as a Technician while the guys who stayed in college started as Engineers. They made much more over the first 10 years of our respective careers. I seriously lucked into an amazingly good fortune and found someone who gave me a chance as an Engineer without a degree. Relying on that though is probably a poor idea. Remember, HR people don't know you personally when they gather names for a layoff or promotions. They only know your employment record, and if there are 2 guys 1 of whom as a degree 9 times out of 10 they will pick him cause it's easy to justify.

My recommendation as someone who faced this dilemma is stick with college if you can (unless you are taking a worthless degree like Wymen's studies).

mjt73106

Reaction score
Speaking of jobs, and I know this is a thread derail but I'd like to hear your opinion on my conundrum.

Currently working for a company that pays ok but great benefits very accomodating for my school schedule and is just a very easy job.

Or...

Got a job offer that pays more than double... But very intense managing a territory of retail locations that involves long hours, lots of travel and no chance of continuing my school. Not in my career choice but pays what I would make once I graduated anyway...

First talk it over with the wife. You are making a family decision here. And, how important is schooling and your choice of career field? Because, if it was important enough for you to pursue it through college, then taking this job opp goes against all you have worked for thus far. Of course one can argue, there is always time later to finish and pursue your dream, but that is not always the case. Do you enjoy high stress level jobs of managing? Is there opps for you to climb the ladder in this new field, or will you already be maxed out from this position?
+1 with Snoogz about letting the wife voice her opinion. Without knowing the specifics, I would suggest that you consider taking the job... You will learn a lot about a lot of things that you can always use in whatever you do. You will always be thinking what if, if you don't make a run at it... Good luck!

DeadBoy

Reaction score
x-post from waywt
trying to be slightly more swd
almost everything is thrift or discount or trade

Got some nice ideas, Ian. I haven't read the replies you did/didn't get in WAYWT, but I'd offer two bits of advice:

1) It seems like you're still trying to find the look that's really 'you.' (The first fit you posted seems especially incongruous with some of the others) That's fine, many of us (myself and probably 70% of the forum included) are somewhere on the road to really uncovering their personal style. Once you figure out the big conceptual puzzle pieces, ie. what you really feel comfortable in, what you think really looks good on you and what works with your lifestyle, the details will be much easier to piece together. From what you posted, you look most comfortable in the bush jacket / chambray shirt / grandpa cardigan / chinos kind of stuff. Maybe that's not true, or maybe you're trying to move away from that, but either way... you'd do well to sit down and think about what it is about your favourite fits that you really like, and then let those principles guide your future purchases and clothing combinations.

2) You're too young for loafers.

s_allen_p

Reaction score
Keep your current job and work towards doing what you want to do. If you take the job that pays better, you'll get used to the money and lock yourself in to it with bills. I spent a long time unemployed, scrimping, holding out for jobs doing what I wanted to do, rather than taking a job I didn't just to ease my finances...and right as I was about to break, I got the job that finally turned itself into the career I wanted. Think long term.

Or...

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Or...

I just moved and got married so this decision is killing me...[

+1 on what Snoogz said. Talk it over with your wife and get her imput. Rule #1 in marriage. Always consult your spouse first. No questions. :laugh:

Seriously though, that's the first step. Second, are you happy where you are and can you see yourself being happy there in several years? If it's just a transitional job then the second choice sounds pretty good even though the work-load is more. Also, can you see yourself being happy here or will you hate it after the "new job high" wears off?

If it were me in that position not knowing any real details about your situation, I'd stick with #1 if you feel that the company appreciates you and what you do (you're not just a # on paper to them, you know what I mean?).

Nice! Sold a bunch of Mick Abrahams LPs a couple years ago. Too bad I didn't know you then.

Dang! I've been after his self-titled LP on A&M for awhile now. Should probably just break down and buy it off eBay but I have a hard time paying more than $5 for a record that I know I'll probably come across somewhere down the line for 50 cents. Boy am I cheap. :laugh:

Last edited:

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thrift fit.

Vintage MTM SC (from a client, traded)
Vintage Gitman chambray shirt (from mainy I think)
Vintage Charvet PS (from 330CK I think)
Hierbas de Ibiza (ok, full price at barneys)
Ike Behar belt (thrifted)
Corneliani seersuckers ($29, Marshalls)
Gaziano & Girling (B&S)
F430 (thrifted)

Rich0116

Reaction score
I almost didn't go to GW today, but figured I had some time to kill. So glad I did...

My first Brioni. First time ever seeing one in the flesh, let alone touching one. Piuma model, 87% cashmere, 13% silk, and it fits me almost like it was cut for me. The only things to say against it is that it's unvented (not a style I necessarily care for) and it's got an almost unnoticeable stain on one sleeve, likely food.

I'm torn on keeping it just because I don't know how it would fit into my wardrobe. But until I make up my mind, I'm planning on lounging about in it.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Was tired, discouraged and half starving this afternoon. Wasn't even going to stop at one of my regular stops with usually little or no goodies. Changed my mind last minute....which has often proven to be a fairly successful thrifting technique for me.

Glad I stopped. Who the heck wears this stuff in my town?

Zegna Trofeo SC in Sea Foam Green Plaid

Zegna Trofeo SC, Green Puppy Tooth, Wool/Linen/Silk blend

Zegna Gen Plaid SC

Zegna SC, Black and white puppytooth with blue overcheck.

Florsheim Norwegian Split Toe

Hanover Beaters.....I love when they get this kind of character going for them.

Oh yeah.....HEY EAZYE....Tag, you're it!

caseyfud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Corneliani, kind of old but I got it because it's maroon.

Ferragamo (Studio)

Gieves & Hawkes, BB, BB, Hermes, Hermes

Duchamp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads