• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

330CK

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Definitely resoled. Could be Grenson Masterpiece or EG, depending on what the writing actually says. From what I can see, I vote Grenson.

Tyrone MacStiophain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

"This year I'm just using it as an excuse to dress in annoyingly bright colors and drink Kentucky bourbon."

Technically Bourbon only comes from Kentucky.

I used to think that.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/27/5.22

(b) Class 2; whisky. “Whisky” is an alcoholic distillate from a fermented mash of grain produced at less than 190° proof in such manner that the distillate possesses the taste, aroma, and characteristics generally attributed to whisky, stored in oak containers (except that corn whisky need not be so stored), and bottled at not less than 80° proof, and also includes mixtures of such distillates for which no specific standards of identity are prescribed.

(1) (i) “Bourbon whisky”, “rye whisky”, “wheat whisky”, “malt whisky”, or “rye malt whisky” is whisky produced at not exceeding 160° proof from a fermented mash of not less than 51 percent corn, rye, wheat, malted barley, or malted rye grain, respectively, and stored at not more than 125° proof in charred new oak containers; and also includes mixtures of such whiskies of the same type.

(ii) “Corn whisky” is whisky produced at not exceeding 160° proof from a fermented mash of not less than 80 percent corn grain, and if stored in oak containers stored at not more than 125° proof in used or uncharred new oak containers and not subjected in any manner to treatment with charred wood; and also includes mixtures of such whisky.

(iii) Whiskies conforming to the standards prescribed in paragraphs (b)(1)(i) and (ii) of this section, which have been stored in the type of oak containers prescribed, for a period of 2 years or more shall be further designated as “straight”; for example, “straight bourbon whisky”, “straight corn whisky”, and whisky conforming to the standards prescribed in paragraph (b)(1)(i) of this section, except that it was produced from a fermented mash of less than 51 percent of any one type of grain, and stored for a period of 2 years or more in charred new oak containers shall be designated merely as “straight whisky”. No other whiskies may be designated “straight”. “Straight whisky” includes mixtures of straight whiskies of the same type produced in the same State.

(2) “Whisky distilled from bourbon (rye, wheat, malt, or rye malt) mash” is whisky produced in the United States at not exceeding 160° proof from a fermented mash of not less than 51 percent corn, rye, wheat, malted barley, or malted rye grain, respectively, and stored in used oak containers; and also includes mixtures of such whiskies of the same type. Whisky conforming to the standard of identity for corn whisky must be designated corn whisky.

(3) “Light whisky” is whisky produced in the United States at more than 160° proof, on or after January 26, 1968, and stored in used or uncharred new oak containers; and also includes mixtures of such whiskies. If “light whisky” is mixed with less than 20 percent of straight whisky on a proof gallon basis, the mixture shall be designated “blended light whisky” (light whisky—a blend).

(4) “Blended whisky” (whisky—a blend) is a mixture which contains straight whisky or a blend of straight whiskies at not less than 20 percent on a proof gallon basis, excluding alcohol derived from added harmless coloring, flavoring or blending materials, and, separately, or in combination, whisky or neutral spirits. A blended whisky containing not less than 51 percent on a proof gallon basis of one of the types of straight whisky shall be further designated by that specific type of straight whisky; for example, “blended rye whisky” (rye whisky—a blend).

(5) (i) “A blend of straight whiskies” (blended straight whiskies) is a mixture of straight whiskies which does not conform to the standard of identify for “straight whisky.” Products so designated may contain harmless coloring, flavoring, or blending materials as set forth in 27 CFR 5.23(a).

(ii) “A blend of straight whiskies” (blended straight whiskies) consisting entirely of one of the types of straight whisky, and not conforming to the standard for straight whisky, shall be further designated by that specific type of straight whisky; for example, “a blend of straight rye whiskies” (blended straight rye whiskies). “A blend of straight whiskies” consisting entirely of one of the types of straight whisky shall include straight whisky of the same type which was produced in the same State or by the same proprietor within the same State, provided that such whisky contains harmless coloring, flavoring, or blending materials as stated in 27 CFR 5.23(a).

(iii) The harmless coloring, flavoring, or blending materials allowed under this section shall not include neutral spirits or alcohol in their original state. Neutral spirits or alcohol may only appear in a “blend of straight whiskies” or in a “blend of straight whiskies consisting entirely of one of the types of straight whisky” as a vehicle for recognized flavoring of blending material.

(6) “Spirit whisky” is a mixture of neutral spirits and not less than 5 percent on a proof gallon basis of whisky, or straight whisky, or straight whisky and whisky, if the straight whisky component is less than 20 percent on a proof gallon basis.

(7) “Scotch whisky” is whisky which is a distinctive product of Scotland, manufactured in Scotland in compliance with the laws of the United Kingdom regulating the manufacture of Scotch whisky for consumption in the United Kingdom: Provided, That if such product is a mixture of whiskies, such mixture is “blended Scotch whisky” (Scotch whisky—a blend).

(8) “Irish whisky” is whisky which is a distinctive product of Ireland, manufactured either in the Republic of Ireland or in Northern Ireland, in compliance with their laws regulating the manufacture of Irish whisky for home consumption: Provided, That if such product is a mixture of whiskies, such mixture is “blended Irish whisky” (Irish whisky—a blend).

(9) “Canadian whisky” is whisky which is a distinctive product of Canada, manufactured in Canada in compliance with the laws of Canada regulating the manufacture of Canadian whisky for consumption in Canada: Provided, That if such product is a mixture of whiskies, such mixture is “blended Canadian whisky” (Canadian whisky—a blend).

(l) Class 12; products without geographical designations but distinctive of a particular place.(1) The whiskies of the types specified in paragraphs (b) (1), (4), (5), and (6) of this section are distinctive products of the United States and if produced in a foreign country shall be designated by the applicable designation prescribed in such paragraphs, together with the words “American type” or the words “produced (distilled, blended) in __”, the blank to be filled in with the name of the foreign country: Provided, That the word “bourbon” shall not be used to describe any whisky or whisky-based distilled spirits not produced in the United States. If whisky of any of these types is composed in part of whisky or whiskies produced in a foreign country there shall be stated, on the brand label, the percentage of such whisky and the country of origin thereof.

hooker4186

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After a long drought things are swinging back my way.

Zegna Trofeo 52R. Dual vents. Amazing.

Steve Alan store only flannel

FU RLPL MTM shirt

Gant Rugger in my size x2

N&F selvage slim guy black 32

APC Madras 32 (non selvage)

Nom De Guerre shirt jacket. This thing is insane and I'm gutted its just a bit too big in me. Grail label for me.

Black APC peacoat that fits me perfectly as long as I don't put anything in the pockets or lean over.

Skeet blanket 100% linen blazer jacket thing.

Kiton tie

Vintage Pendleton with pearl snaps

DanM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had no idea today was going to be 50% off at the local GWs. Started with a pair of Ferragamos.

Picked up some Polo black label golf pants

Went freaking crazy picking up ties.

Pink, Polo, T&A, Paul Stuart, Atelier silk knits

Paul Stuart, Garrick Anderson, Saks 5th Avenue, Brooks Brothers silk knits

Pink, Robert Talbott, T&A, Saks 5th Ave silk knits.

los_face

Reaction score
Some amazing and exclusive labels have been popping up the past week or so. I haven't seen either of these labels on the thread yet so here is my contribution...

Was looking through a sorry rack of jackets last week and a guy standing at the end of the rack looking at his iphone a few feet away from a jacket slung over the rack.
Me: Sorry, is that your jacket?
Him: No, it's a weird fitting adidas jacket. I think it's fake cause the label is weird.
Me: Ummmm....ok (as i pick up the jacket...)
Adidas label does look a bit odd...

Maybe because it's the Japanese collabo version...

Y3 Tech Twill Hooded Jacket from 2011

Awesome glen plaid removable hood liner with leather accents and great details

A little long in the arms and a bit wide but the oversized hood is great to wear in the rain for the 6am workout

After finding the above jacket, I was walking around the store and found an unknown (to me) label on a western shacket made in Japan. Much heavier and more intricate details then anything comparable i've seen made in the USA and knew it was quality. Fit small so i was hesitant to pick it up (even for a few bucks) because it didn't fit properly. After a lot of back and forth I decided to leave it.

Went home and googled the brand...saw the same jacket on American Rag, got back in the car and made the drive back to the store to pick it up

Remi Relief Thinsulate Quilting Jacket...beautiful attention to details...Japanese/Americana repro stuff is always next level quality

Last edited:

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow - crazy finds on both accounts! Just a tip, most anything that has a throw-back Americana look to it, is made in Japan (or the USA for that matter) and is super well constructed with lots of attention to detail like that, just grab it.

Last edited:

silverwarebandit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

After finding the above jacket, I was walking around the store and found an unknown (to me) label on a western shacket made in Japan. Much heavier and more intricate details then anything comparable i've seen made in the USA and knew it was quality. Fit small so i was hesitant to pick it up (even for a few bucks) because it didn't fit properly. After a lot of back and forth I decided to leave it.
/quote]

:drool: oh I want this. Hard.

acosbysweater

Reaction score
Holy ****, tons of great staple SW&D brands. Y-3! NWT Rag and Bone!!!!! Remi Relief, wtf. I only know about this brand because of Rakuten. Obscene rarity.

Um, put away the stupidly dated MC and only keep poasting the good stuff boys.

POP! BNWT Rag & Bone reversible black.camo jacket. Made in the USA!

So so so glad this is three sizes too large for me.

Last edited:

Dolfan954

Reaction score
Did I just pop my EG cherry? They are the ones with the little window and handwritten size, right? Although the soles say Italy, so resoled?

Zegna Trofeo 52R. Dual vents. Amazing.

Must.....fight....urges....

I am on a thrift hiatus for what may be 2–3 months. Exams, and then bar prep.
baldy[1].gif

I am living through you all for these next few months.

No thrifting but did manage to e-pick up these Frye's new for $50.
88f51cb7-180a-4b85-a61a-442ff1e17e74.jpg

sn0wman

Reaction score
Peal & co for BB shoes are in UK sizing right? Made in England.
Can't speak for all of them, but I have a pair that is US sized.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads