• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randomore

Reaction score
What do you guys think.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wading through overpriced Burberry London shirts, and what do I find? #5...

Patrologia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like it (the painting), but what do I know.

Couple of brags. Still picking up shoes and ties.
Little shoes:
Allen Edmonds Sanfords, nice walnut (I think) color. Some wear on the soles, but still a long way from resoling.

Two ties this morning, BB Makers, and a PRL black and white plaid. I would have loved for it to have a subtle purple or blue overstripe, just to break things up a bit, but at least now I'm prepared if I get invited to the right kind of wedding.

I passed on a suit that said it was made by Zegna (in Italy, not Switzerland) for Bachrach. Not just that it was Zegna fabric that someone else made up for Bachrach. Is this right? Zegna actually makes stuff to sell at Bachrach? And if so, to what level do you suppose they make them? It seemed decently well made, I'd have picked it up if it were my size, but did't assume anyone would want it here. Did I make a mistake?

s_allen_p

Reaction score
Here are some of the things I've found over the last couple of months that I'm either keeping for myself, or have already found themselves a new owner.

Golden Bear coat

a thick vintage sweater

a Pringle cashmere long sleeve polo

Gant by Michael Bastian & Rugger shirts

Brooks Brothers Linen Sport Coat

Vintage Sears corduroy coat - Doesn't look old enough to be worth anything, but I'm still trying to date it. I'm thinking the look this fits into will be popular again soon.

Arcando Loafers - Practically no info on them, aside from a couple mentions on SF. Italian bespoke maker that is apparently no longer in business.

A. Testoni Monks

Crockett and Jones PTBs - Look like Buffalo to me

Ralph Lauren Purple Label Sandals

Vintage Florsheim Imperials

Two of the more colorful ties

joshmick

Reaction score
Running errands today, figured I'd snap a quick thrift fit on my phone!

BB OCBD thrifted for $5.99
Vintage LL Bean Jacket, thrifted 7.99
Bonobos Traveler Chinos, discounted $29.99
Sperry Topsiders, NordRack ~$45 a couple years ago

ChetB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have recently moved to Orlando, and the thrifts here are some of the driest I have ever seen, nothing like Oregon. It doesn't help that my thrifting protégé sent me a picture of his latest finds from the goodwill by my old house.

Hopefully the prices are better in Orlando at least. Whenever I visit family in Portland, I see crazy high prices at the Goodwills: $150 worn-out Allen Edmonds, $100 1990s Zegna orphans, $80 denim. Maybe those Kiton jeans slipped under the pricers' radar, but I wouldn't be surprised if they had a hefty "boutique" price tag.

Last edited:

Shiny

Reaction score

I passed on a suit that said it was made by Zegna (in Italy, not Switzerland) for Bachrach. Not just that it was Zegna fabric that someone else made up for Bachrach. Is this right? Zegna actually makes stuff to sell at Bachrach? And if so, to what level do you suppose they make them? It seemed decently well made, I'd have picked it up if it were my size, but did't assume anyone would want it here. Did I make a mistake?

Would have been cool to have seen the content tag.

Sorta thriftin related for me b/c thrift proceeds paid for these:

I believe that my main man Mexi got some of this action too. In true thrift fashion, we paid 50% off MSRP :wow:

mexicutioner

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Would have been cool to have seen the content tag.

I believe that my main man Mexi got some of this action too. In true thrift fashion, we paid 50% off MSRP :wow:

:nodding:

:inlove:

got the very last pair :slayer:

however, MINE HAVE NOT ARRIVED YET :brick:

Last edited:

mexicutioner

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1sts

:bounce2:

according to an AE thread contributor (who was informed by a manager at an AE retail store) they were made for the euro market but ended up not selling or they got cancelled or something (that part is hazy to me, i stopped reading and picked up the phone), which is how that one AE retail store ended up with them. they were all gone within a few days, almost completely to phone orders by SF'ers.

Last edited:

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At least these aren't $400 anymore. But mein Gott, I could get these for ~$150 on Ebay...

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At least these aren't $400 anymore. But mein Gott, I could get these for ~$150 on Ebay...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads