• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
More of a sale find

Found these Norse Projects khakis in 30 waist at a major high end department store.

Marked down from $180 to ....

$7!!

Available. Will either send to my buddy or ebay.

Last edited:

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Aye, what has been your solution to the flipper problem? Have you widened your search? Do you continually hit the same as all the other flippers and just hope to be in the right place at right time? Have you considered hitting the towns nearby where you live - places that are less likely to reveal high end goods but also less likely to have a gazillion people competitively thrifting? I have been finding these small dinky slightly out of way towns more productive than the areas within 20 miles of the city.

Unfortunately there isn't much I can do but just deal with it and pray that something slips through the cracks. LA really was a goldmine when I was there because it seemed that there was a thrift store literally every 5-6 blocks. They were everywhere, and that's just thrift stores. Consignment and discount stores were everywhere too. Minnesota is a completely different story. There are maybe 15 stores total in the Twin Cities metro area that are worth hitting. Stuff is really spread out, so it's usually a good 20 minutes or more between most stores. Some areas have a couple clustered nearby but then it's a 1/2 hr drive to the next store. IMO, there are only two prime areas here and both those areas are hit super hard. I mean tons of flippers 24/7. My options are to either wing it and try and find something really nice that somehow made it out into redneck country (works maybe 20% of the time) or to battle flippers all day.

The part that really gets me is that Goodwill makes up about 50% of the stores in the Twin Cities area. They've been getting completely out of hand with their hoarding and marking up lately that it takes all the fun out of it.

Oh well, I really hope it's just a phase and goes back to how it used to be very soon......

Wow!

Last edited:

Jowen

Reaction score
Finally ponied up and used some flipping funds to score some size 13 Alden Indy 403s and if anyone here is thinking about getting them, do it. They are by far the most comfortable boots I have worn (Red Wing Beckman's, Crockett and Jones, Florsheim by Duckie Brown are in my rotation). I was patient on eBay and finally scored them for a price I was comfortable with!

Also, very trad Chipp tie...available

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quote:

Cool!

I met Ochewitz and Phinney a few months ago when they were at a talk by the guy that wrote the book about Team 7-11.

I may not know any really high up Euro racers, but I can count amongst my friends many legends of ultra cycling and rock climbing... I'll wear the Motorola jersey with pride and if anyone gives me crap, I'll remind them that they weren't all dopers...

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went at lunch... Left this behind, but will proxy if someone wants it at this price:

Pretty good condition on the suede

Also, this is a Samuelsohn tag, right? Jack Victor branded 44R single breasted w/ peak lapels, charcoal w/ stripes

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thrift fit...

Patagonia GoreTex, REI shirt, Worn jeans

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is this the Brioni I'm looking for?

Or this one?

Real or fake?

All real. The first Brioni looks really old.

Thrift stores are usually a good place to start.

+1 There's Edit: insert obscure shop names.

More of a sale find

Found these Norse Projects khakis in 30 waist at a major high end department store.

Marked down from $180 to ....

$7!!

Available. Will either send to my buddy or ebay.

Holy ****!

Last edited:

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
laugh.gif
You're right on. I was very close to sending a PM but then realized I'm broke this week. Doh!

Yeah, it's a bit pricey... If it was even $15-20 I would have picked it up, but at $45 it was too much. I guess they know the name Schott though.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Yeah, must be. Still a cool jacket. I'd be on it if I had some monies! Oh well......

Went to pick up a few shirts from the cleaners and decided to sing into the local thrift. Didn't come out empty handed. Superga x Isaia canvas sneakers. Euro 44. Claimed

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads