• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any of you a 44 jacket 36 waist? Found a cool khaki J Peterman linen/cotton suit I can pass on cheap. Looks to have been worn once based on GMMCL's pants analysis.

Shoulders are 19", P2P 23.5", Length is 32". 3 button, dual vent. Pants are 18" across with a 33" inseam. Single pleat with cuff.

Last edited:

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hit several places over the weekend and finally found some stuff, although nothing like the hauls posted earlier... First some stuff I left behind...

Never seen anything this wild from HF before

This suit was kind of awesome and custom made with nice details. I think it was probably around a 40L based on other stuff I think was from the same guy

Another one from the same guy and same tailor, but with wild lapels

Stuff I picked up, all available except the shirt

A very nice Canali, pretty recent... Wish it fit me, it would be perfect for Spring / Summer

Willis & Geiger heavy cotton sweater, size Large

Orvis cotton mechanic's sweater, size Large

Really like the pattern on this fabric... A bit of wear on the collar points, but I'll take it (not available)

Zegna jeans.... Marked a 36 but they've been darted in to around a 34. They look hardly worn at all

Does someone like double forward pleated pants with big change pockets? How about really well made ones with lots of hand stitching? If you're around a 36x31-32 I have an instant pants wardrobe for you if you like Oxxford and Luciano Barbera with a higher rise (about 13")

Oxxford medium gray... lots of nice pick stitching and side adjusters.

Luciano Barbera in a heavy birdseye cotton

Oxxford light gray

Kind of gray / beige / olive and medium weight

Similar, maybe heavier?

Charcoal Oxxford very nice fabric, feels like super 100's

Medium gray herringbone Oxxford

Finally here's a thrift(ish) fit

Boglioli flannel SC from ebay
The Shirt Store shirt thrifted by me
O'Connell's shetland sweater
Howard Yount flannel pants
Allen Edmonds Strand in Walnut bought from a guy

Randomore

Reaction score
My local TJX had a Filippa K blazer marked down on the clearance rack. Still not near thrift prices but it fit me nicely... Tempted.

The Versace ties I mentioned before were marked down another 10 bucks. Will wait a little longer.

Pretty dry lately. I was on the wake of a local flipper, unfortunately for me he knows most brands.

thriftydood

Reaction score
I don't see people wearing clothing I recall seeing at a thrift store, but I've seen things posted on AAAC or Ebay that I passed on (maybe on here as well, I'm not sure).

Quote:
Something odd happened today...I was waiting on the tram when a guy walked by wearing a jacket that I recognized from one of the thrifts. Of course, he could have purchased the same jacket when they came out, but I doubt it. It was incredibly distinct and from the early '90s for sure.

Has that happened to anyone else? Recognizing someone else's purchase from a thrift store??

Passed on a goofy pair of orthopedic Aldens this morning that was just listed on the bay. Did find my first Etro and rag & bone though

sparrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
can believe someone would donate those binocluars.
those are classics!

Randy

Reaction score
Question... Have pleated pants gone completely out of style? Yes, yes, I realize "out of style" belies a paranoid, albeit ultimately futile, interest in groupthink. And, yes, the previous sentence is an obvious embarrassment as well. Or should one wear pleated pants now only within certain circumstances? Or, perhaps, one can still wear them authoritatively in every setting? I'm interested in hearing thoughts regarding PLEATS as this will likely influence my personal wardrobe for 2013. (I tend to pass on them all the time, including YAPOPZ* earlier this week.)

*yet another pair of pleated Zanellas

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question... Have pleated pants gone completely out of style? Yes, yes, I realize "out of style" belies a paranoid, albeit ultimately futile, interest in groupthink. And, yes, the previous sentence is an obvious embarrassment as well. Or should one wear pleated pants now only within certain circumstances? Or, perhaps, one can still wear them authoritatively in every setting? I'm interested in hearing thoughts regarding PLEATS as this will likely influence my personal wardrobe for 2013. (I tend to pass on them all the time, including YAPOPZ* earlier this week.)

It depends on where you like to wear your pants... Around your hips like jeans I think pleats look silly. Up around your natural waist I think pleats are a good choice if they're well done and lay flat when standing. I personally like to wear mine at my hips with flat fronts.

sparrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i think of pleats as classical, while not in vouge, they have a touch of style. they appear to me as more traditional

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2 stores. Picked up a rag and bone linen shirt, a TnA navy/red dots tie, and an Orvis jacket, nwt. Pics later.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Things are so slow up here. Thrifts aren't producing much of anything, so I've had to get my fix online. Ordered these Chippewa x J.Crew "homestead" boots last week during their sale. Got them for $150 w/ free shipping. They sold out online and now it seems a few pair made their way back up for the price of $250.

Got them today and love them! Styling, color, fit, etc is right on.

Last edited:

FaceOfBoh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pleats: I was like you but I have now gotten a few single pleats. It began with a borrelli in nice thick cotton, I thrifted some non name flannels that were too marvellous to pass up and I have some Hugo baldessarinis from the forum getting ready for spring.

I agree with the above, that they can look stylish and even elegant, when worn righting with confidence.

Start it's one and see how you feel.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They have not gone out of style nor will they ever go out of style. They are personal preference. Most guys should wear flat fronts, they look better and feel better but pleats do create a little more room, particularly for those that wear higher rise pants further up the waist. It is all just a preference call.

If they are wool dress pants, I personally do not find pleats offensive although I definitely prefer flat front. Pleated cotton pants / chinos are definitely not my thing, anything cotton particularly with medium to lower rise must be flat front IMO.

Zanella are infamous for pleating the crap out of their pants - I have found that a lot of their saks merchadise is flat front now so I guess in 5 years we will be picking up a lot of unicorns.

I avoid pleated pants as a general rule but would consider picking up something nice with pleats provided the pants are not too puffy. I generally try on pants in thrift store and if the pleats look dumb, they go back on the rack.

Last edited:

mainy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wow cotton dockers, that haul is ridonkulous. what i got today

beat to hell willis & geiger chamois cloth shirt - only bought it due to the ancient label. any idea on date?
RQ7rDQB.jpg

B3uey5k.jpg

nice collective short sleeve shirt. large. available for really cheap
JYc6V4r.jpg

polo ralph lauren 100% cashmere black shawl collar cardigan
OAApKs7.jpg

hickey freeman
GDjyKky.jpg

z300XI0.jpg

j.crew linen ludlow suit
SAEeEUO.jpg

vItVwMQ.jpg

shirts... all stone cold mint, and recent
1st row: lorenzini, lorenzini, lorenzini, tyrwhitt slim fit 2nd row: robert tabott estate, zegna, mastei ferrati, brooks slim fit
WXBGpaX.jpg

then this dual vented gem... a touch of socal in the heartland, not quite cotton dockers, but it put a smile on my face
Q1K06k8.jpg

xA6xzbz.jpg

vGN4F3B.jpg

about $115 for everything today

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wow cotton dockers, that haul is ridonkulous. what i got today

beat to hell willis & geiger chamois cloth shirt - only bought it due to the ancient label. any idea on date?
RQ7rDQB.jpg

B3uey5k.jpg

nice collective short sleeve shirt. large. available for really cheap
JYc6V4r.jpg

polo ralph lauren 100% cashmere black shawl collar cardigan
OAApKs7.jpg

hickey freeman
GDjyKky.jpg

z300XI0.jpg

j.crew linen ludlow suit
SAEeEUO.jpg

vItVwMQ.jpg

shirts... all stone cold mint, and recent
1st row: lorenzini, lorenzini, lorenzini, tyrwhitt slim fit 2nd row: robert tabott estate, zegna, mastei ferrati, brooks slim fit
WXBGpaX.jpg

then this dual vented gem... a touch of socal in the heartland, not quite cotton dockers, but it put a smile on my face
Q1K06k8.jpg

xA6xzbz.jpg

vGN4F3B.jpg

about $115 for everything today

Wow, those Lorenzini and that Brioni are the shitzzz! I really dig the pattern on that HF, too. Good stuff as usual!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads