• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

pnutpug

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Flight coat is definitely worth it.

I've been looking for a flight coat in my size for a reasonable price for three-freaking-years.

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Almost forgot this one - Paul Stuart Grey pinstripe 46

Was this a suit or an orphan?

was going through my phone and came across some of the stuff i have passed on recently. should i go back and try to kop any of it? sorry for the poor photo quality. they are all cell phone snaps
this overcoat, for which the thrift wants $60

i think it is tagged 46
these bespoke (i assume) suits, most were 3 piece, odd since the vests fit me, but the jackets don't (they fit more like 40r or 40s), from guatemala. tons of handwork, fully canvassed, etc. there were about 5 of them.

exemplary piece

maker tag

there was another one i didn't get a pic of that was a fine navy polka dot pattern. pretty cool. would proxy if anyone wants to gamble on fit.
also reminds me i need to start thriftin with a tape measure in hand.
HF "flight coat" my size, fit like a glove out the box, worth it for 25 bones in decent used condition?

baller status suede (pretty sure real quede, though no materials tag) casual jackets one in navy, other in cream from saks fifth avenue, both real clean, thrift wants $15 each, tagged size 43R, would try to pick up for someone if interested

also, this may be a dumb question, but i can't find the answer myself for the life of me. i often see fairly high quality garments with this tag (from suits to ties) and don't know what it is. anyone care to enlighten me?

I would kop on that flight coat at $25. All others, good pass unless those Bespoke suits fit you.

Agreed, I have one in navy. Would kop again.
The jacket fits me well, maybe 3/4" longer than I would prefer but pretty good otr, but the pants have a crazy rise on them. Not complaining for what I paid, but a little worried it might look like a stodgy suit.

Have you ever thought about getting the jacket shortened? I know lots of folks on here are against it but I had good experiences with jacket shortening just under 1 inch. You really NEED a good tailor for that though. Good luck!

Towers

Reaction score

Have you ever thought about getting the jacket shortened? I know lots of folks on here are against it but I had good experiences with jacket shortening just under 1 inch. You really NEED a good tailor for that though. Good luck!

I think that would emphasize the rise on the pants, it doesn't look bad as is, just more 'distinguished' in the cut than what I would typically wear, I'm not worried.

Last edited:

FugueMeister

Reaction score
Men of official thrift/discount store bragging thread, I copped two identical, unworn, pairs of the these Harold's wool trousers today at GW for $1.50 each. I know they're nothing particularly spectacular, but they seem to be very well made, the wool is substantial for cooler weather, and they fit me, or at least I think they do. I like them quite a bit. What do you guys think?

Also, really enjoying voraciously scouring these threads the past month.

green_machine

Reaction score
You guys ever pick up "Riviera" pants? I've seen them around and never really inspected them. Then I saw an real nice pair of wool flat front slacks made by our neighbors to the north with decent construction and they ended up being riviera. I picked them up for like 5 bucks and they fit fairly slim (no pics, getting hemmed now). Just wondering if anyone had experience with them.

(Not flipping but wearing)

Last edited:

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score

What's the opinion here on Faconnable and Breuer ties? Found these ties yesterday at a local place and I'm still relatively new to SF.

http://www.styleforum.net/content/type/61/id/542149/

Breuer can be quite good, at least their made in France stuff. I have a few, but none of their more recent made in Italy. Faconnable was made by Breuer, don't know if they still are. I don't know if resale is particularly strong for them, but they're solid additions to your own closet.

mexicutioner

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Breuer can be quite good, at least their made in France stuff. I have a few, but none of their more recent made in Italy. Faconnable was made by Breuer, don't know if they still are. I don't know if resale is particularly strong for them, but they're solid additions to your own closet.

wow, breuer and faconnable are two of my go-to labels, especially for shirts. never knew that they were related.

IRKSM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was this a suit or an orphan?

I would kop on that flight coat at $25. All others, good pass unless those Bespoke suits fit you.

I am also interested in this my pinstripe orphan could use a little shortening, how much did that cost you? also what tailor do you use since we live sort of close to one another I go to this guy in berkeley currently

eddievddr10

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am also interested in this my pinstripe orphan could use a little shortening, how much did that cost you? also what tailor do you use since we live sort of close to one another I go to this guy in berkeley currently

It was $30. Not as expensive as I thought since she did a pretty good job. I shortened a DB SC that I got for $4. This was my very first thrifted jacket. I got lucky and ended up with a Samuelsohn. It looks pretty good now. I'll PM you my tailor.

lol8[1].gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics