• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

+1 on VLSI and the others. Recent J.Crew stuff is great to wear. Not really flip unless it's s pretty expensive, largely desirable piece like that cardigan or a Ludlow suit. Plain Jane stuff isn't worth it. Most items should have a date code on the fabric care label to judge it's age (FA11 is Fall 2011, for example).I love their slim fit chinos and cords. Shirts are great casual pieces. Their quality and styling really has improved a ton over the past 10-ish years. The fact that they're starting to have collaboration pieces and selling items from high-end makers like Alden, Redwing, Warehouse and Norse Projects shows they're moving up on the ladder. As for that cardigan, it's gorgeous. A classic piece I'd rock the hell out of. I'm not really a crew-neck sweater guy; zips and cardigans is where it's at for me.

I get emails from them EVERY SINGLE DAY, but I do like a lot of their stuff, especially the collaboration things. I do have an orphaned J Crew suit jacket that I got on eBay. It was a total ripoff as the pictures and description were for the wrong item. It turned out to be a chalk striped orphan flannel jacket in a size 39R. It's made in Italy and not bad, so if anyone wants it and can track down some pants, it's yours for the cost of shipping.

Beck

Reaction score
Just joined the club:

Finally found some Pendleton in my size...the first one is really heavy, reminds me of Filson, the second one is a standard wool shirt. Both will be good when it is -8 and windy here (still unsure why I live in Wisconsin)

Picked up this odd vest, khaki corduroy, cool wooden buttons and pockets and thought it would fit...unfortunately I eyeballed it wrong...it would fit a smaller guy than me 17.5" across chest, 24" length, if anyone likes it, just the cost of shipping will take it

I really, really wanted these to work, but my tailor can't make them long enough for me
ffffuuuu.gif
Light grey Zegna (I think by Incotex, Portugal made) 100% Wool in perfect condition, flat front, 34x29 with 1.5" cuffs - Available

Hey man I picked up that same FORD Eddie Bauer bag at a garage sale not too long ago! Very good quality, and is sought after. Also, those Zegna's are great too! I found a darker brown pair by Incotex for E. Zegna Size 34R. I dunno if your tall as me, but I would but up for trades/selling them :p Lemme know if your interested

dubcbadass

Reaction score
I left an old Pinstripe db Luciano barbera in charcoal and same db pinstripe Oxxford in navy maybe 44 or 46 in good condition. both unvented. Trousers pleated. Okay to leave stuff like that?

Might post some cool finds later if I get a lil more good stuff soon.

IRKSM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree that j crew styling has improved but by that quality has they used to make a ton of their stuff in USA now everything is basically made in china the Ludlow suits have Italian fabrics but manufacting is of basic quality I love the updated wider lapels on the new Ludlow though.

IRKSM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also another unlikely pick up worthy is recent h&m suits they sell for 80-130 consistently :nodding:

IRKSM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Isn't that like retail price for H&M?

Yeah they hold value really well my first sit was h&m don't judge me and I ended up selling it for more than I bought it for even though it has a few stains

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I picked up a nwot Oxxford navy blazer. The seller had Neiman Marcus listed as the maker, and in the description he mentioned the jacket being made by "Oxford" (one eks) twice in the description (tagged Oxxford from the pictures). The seller had a high rating with many transactions, but seemed to sell almost exclusively female clothes. I'm assuming that the seller didn't know who Oxxford was.

I got the jacket for 30 bucks + shipping. I think that's a steal (though I don't know if the Oxxford that Neiman Marcus sells is the same quality as Oxxford elsewhere).

Last edited:

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Went back to the store that yielded up the Kiton and Zegnas on Sunday and picked up a 2 Oxxfords, a PRL made in USA tweed hacking jacket, and a Fay tweed sportcoat that fits me nicely.

Wow! :slayer:

Haven't ever seen a Fay piece on here and now two pieces pop up within a couple weeks!

concealed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I picked up a nwot Oxxford navy blazer. The seller had Neiman Marcus listed as the maker, and in the description he mentioned the jacket being made by "Oxford" (one eks) twice in the description (tagged Oxxford from the pictures). The seller had a high rating with many transactions, but seemed to sell almost exclusively female clothes. I'm assuming that the seller didn't know who Oxxford was.

I got the jacket for 30 bucks + shipping. I think that's a steal (though I don't know if the Oxxford that Neiman Marcus sells is the same quality as Oxxford elsewhere).

it's the same

MZhammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ran across these Cole Haans made in England, can anyone give any insight? Worth a cop for a flip? They're size 7-1/2, looks like they might have been made by Church's?

Last edited:

ATLjon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ran across these Cole Haans made in England, can anyone give any insight? Worth a cop for a flip? They're size 7-1/2, looks like they might have been made by Church's?
I think those are Church's.

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Not sure on the flipping front, but they look like great shoes. If you plan on leaving them, I would love a proxy :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads