• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sooooo...How will folks know if you are willing to pass it on for cheap, if you don't tell them it is available? On that note, if anyone feels I have overcharged them for one of my finds in the past, please speak up for your refund. For the most part, guys insist on paying me more than my asking price.

Last edited:

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This thread used to be a place where people found great great things and wore them with pride or passed them at cost as favours - you might have noticed or not but I'm doing that myself with a Caruso jacket.
Nowadays it's just a joke because it reeks of niggardly greed.
"Shite jacket by some awful maker - AVAILABLE"
A true true joke.

This is blatantly false, you must have missed the post's 1 page back of Wes and I wearing are finds with PRIDE, not to mention I've received countless items from other members here for FREE. It also seems you are a racist.

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

It also seems you are a racist.

I figured that word would spark some anger, but it doesn't have a relationship (etymologically). I teach English at the university level and have had discussions/read controversy on its use. It sounds and looks very similar, so that's understandable, however I don't believe he meant it in a racial sense. He can clarify.

Edited to add: I do agree with everything else you said though, eazy!

Last edited:

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is blatantly false, you must have missed the post's 1 page back of Wes and I wearing are finds with PRIDE, not to mention I've received countless items from other members here for FREE. It also seems you are a racist.

Oh dear...

Another amusing story:
In 1995, years before the incidents in Washington, Wilmington and Madison, The Economist magazine used the word "niggardly" in an article about the impact of computers and productivity: "During the 1980s, when service industries consumed about 85% of the $1 trillion invested in I.T. in the United States, productivity growth averaged a niggardly 0.8% a year." The Economist later pointed out with amusement that it received a letter from a reader in Boston who thought the word "niggardly" was inappropriate. "Why do we get such letters only from America?" the British magazine commented.

silverwarebandit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today I had my best single store shoe score. All from the same guy, and all a 10.5 (my size), muhahahahahahahhaha!!!!!! :devil: :devil:

of the shoes have been touched yet, I'll post more pics when I clean them up.
DAMNIT! I can never find shoes, I'm pretty sure you've taken all the shoes out of the Chicago thrift stores.

I did however manage to pull together the basic wardrobe grey trousers/white shirt/blue sport coat in one store, with rather nice brands.

Oxxford/RLPL/Incotex for EZ

330CK

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

This thread used to be a place where people found great great things and wore them with pride or passed them at cost as favours - you might have noticed or not but I'm doing that myself with a Caruso jacket.
A true true joke.

It's going to make me even less popular, but I agree with this sentiment. I haven't really wanted to mention it, but I'm sure this will spark a few pages of discussion, so I might as well throw my sentiments in. There are still a few people left that are willing to make deals, but for the most part it's gone. I'm getting so ******* sick of PMing some people (some of whom I have given insane deals in the past) and them quoting me eBay prices, and sometimes more than eBay prices.

dubcbadass

Reaction score
minor scores recently, otherwise pretty dry

These trousers, mostly wanna know if any of you have seen these before. they look super nice

anyone know about the maker? i found their brand website

super secure arrangement here

detail shot
i am putting them in the 'to tailor' pile, but they measure to 16" across the waist and 27" cuffed (cool reinforcing fabric at the back of the hem) with a few inches of let out if you are really interested.

then these, for the bay in 13D

really debated this kop since they were nearly 75 bones and crazy size and slight flaws, gotta see if the ebay gods are good to me

then this bad boy so i can ship from home and decide on priority mail tyvek vs. flat rate packaging, etc. w/out hassling nice ladies at the PO

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A true true joke.

This is true to some extent. eBay discussions and people posting prices on stuff never used to happen. Still, with change comes good and bad. We've got a lot of new members and I love reading about other people's interests besides clothing that they look for in thrift stores (art, records, bikes, etc) There is still a little spirit from how it used to be with some folks passing stuff on at cost, for free or trading but as 300ck stated, I've seen a lot of quoting eBay prices. If you want eBay prices, take it there. With that said, I love the thread for what it is. It has it's ups and downs, but what doesn't?

dubcbadass

Reaction score

There is still a little spirit from how it used to be with some folks passing stuff on at cost, for free or trading but as 300ck stated, I've seen a lot of quoting eBay prices

i have shut down an ebay auction here to sell near cost (cost + my dwindling time) as a favor to a member here and also shut one down to trade on here. i figure what goes around will come around. also, if i find some wares that i know don't get love here and aren't in my size, they go on the bay, like the ferragamo loafs i just posted. maybe it was tacky that i said what i paid for them, but i am interested in ya'lls opinions as replies or pms. i know it could go in the ebay tips/tricks thread, but frankly, this thread is enough to follow.

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
Quote: Before this all gets too blown up I want to throw my 2 cents in...

I tend to agree that there is both going on and sometimes at the same time, BUT if you don't say it's available how do you know it's available. Either cost+shipping or SF prices,or ebay prices? Then you get PMs when you don't want them and no PMs when you want them. I like to think that this forum cultivates more comradery and trades between regular posters here then anything else, plus either way, it's fun to look at what others are finding even if it does go to ebay.

I don't feel bad when some of the super high end items go to ebay to pay for the rest of the stuff I buy on ebay my size and then love when I can make an awesome trade and/or send stuff at cost+shipping.

On that note, someone who golfs in cooler weather and wears a XL Bobby Jones, get at me
fistbump.gif
Got a NWT Long Sleeve Polo for you for cost of shipping.

Last edited:

Randy

Reaction score
With such a huge sales signature though, aren't you pretty much the capitalist yourself? I personally don't have a problem with that at all by the way (or with the other folks about whom you're complaining). In fact, your big sig looks pretty compelling, so I may check out your warez myself. I just find it ironic that somebody who's clearly an established seller would pick a technical nit with other sellers about the over-commercialization of the thread.

available available available

this thread is a joke now.

For Sale: SARTORIA CANTARELLI tweed jacket 42 / 52 BNWT
£315 (GBP) or best offer

For Sale: SARTORIA PARTENOPEA of Napoli CASHMERE jacket 44 / 54 - wow!
£499 (GBP) or best offer

Last edited:

ChetB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

NWOT and MINE. Pendleton typically doesn't appeal to me but my Wife convinced me to try this on and I really like it.

Love it! I have the exact same one, and it's fantastic.

Today I had my best single store shoe score. All from the same guy, and all a 10.5 (my size), muhahahahahahahhaha!!!!!! :devil: :devil:

Amazing, Eazy!

Ran into a treasure trove of tweed today. Most of it Harris, including two three piece suits and a couple of overcoats. Both of the 3 piece suits are actually 4 piece, as they come with two pair of pants.

Really nice finds, Tony.

Evil Abed

Reaction score
Monday I'm sending out items to two members at no cost in the hopes of them finding something for me in the future, and am sending out a pair of shoes for the price of shipping to another member because he wears a hard to find size that I happened to come across. So I'd say there's plenty of good spirit/will left, maybe just not on display.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads