• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evil Abed

Reaction score
RRL thread guys say based on the care tag that the pants I found might have been made for the japanese market, which would explain why I haven't found a pair like it yet online.

Alfred001

Reaction score
Does anyone have a navy sports jacket with 18" or smaller shoulders? I'm looking for something that is decidedly a sports jacket and not an orphan, something with a rougher fabric (maybe hopsack or something like that) and no sheen to it.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just a quick reminder guys, check the women's rack on occasion. Found a 100% camel hair blazer in a lovely 36S on the women's jacket rack while I was walking past to look through the books, which I should really stop doing. I have a huge backlog right now... Anyway, just needs the sleeves taken up a bit and a minor seam repair that I'll do myself.

I'll try to get some pictures up soon, along with pictures of a brooks brothers Made in Italy linen silk number I found a week or so ago (38S, which pissed me off a little- I'll be for sale when I finally get some shiat listed).

Last edited:

dubcbadass

Reaction score
today

picked up 2x J. Crew Essential Chinos, one in khaki, other in gray, both tagged 32/32. pretty minty. this model is my beater go-to for the hospital and 32 is my waist size, but i'd have to get them hemmed so, if anyone here wants them...

also, picked up 2x lands end crewneck sweaters in size 2XL - one is cashmere in a cream color, the other one wool in a maroon color. there is an ever so little bit of pilling on the cashmere (maybe depending on who is judging it), but other than that, great shape. i went on LE website and was stoked to see that the cashmere retails for $218 and the wool ain't cheap at $74. holler if you want pics

on another note, someone picked up a 36r burberry london suit (i think by hf) on my ebay and i looked at their items for sale, all suits with buy it nows for like half of retail prices. is this du gonna kop my **** for $60 then post it buy it now for $300, 400, 500? if so, that is genius and i'm not even a little mad.

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Just a quick reminder guys, check the women's rack on occasion. Found a 100% camel hair blazer in a lovely 36S on the women's jacket rack while I was walking past to look through the books, which I should really stop doing. I have a huge backlog right now... Anyway, just needs the sleeves taken up a bit and a minor seam repair that I'll do myself.
I'll try to get some pictures up soon, along with pictures of a brooks brothers Made in Italy linen silk number I found a week or so ago (38S, which pissed me off a little- I'll be for sale when I finally get some shiat listed).

I try to check the women's section every time, but I have to fight off the employees sometimes. About once a week, one of the employees that usually recognize me says something like "this is the women's section" or something. I can't get into the scarves without someone giving me some smart comment. I usually say something like "I know, but you guys put menswear in the women's section sometimes" and that sends them away, but it's still annoying.

Similar story, one of the employees was working at a different store last week and she goes "what, do you go from store to store to shop?" in a disparaging way. I said "I work in this area of town," as it caught me off guard. I should have said "what business is it of yours?," but I only thought of that after I had walked away and was replaying the conversation in me head. :embar:

on another note, someone picked up a 36r burberry london suit (i think by hf) on my ebay and i looked at their items for sale, all suits with buy it nows for like half of retail prices. is this du gonna kop my **** for $60 then post it buy it now for $300, 400, 500? if so, that is genius and i'm not even a little mad.

Probably, it's happened to me before as well. I'll list something with a quick buy it now price and then I'll see it pop up a couple of weeks later. If they're smart, they'll at least use a second screen name to try to hide what they're doing. You're free to get a bit pissed off if they use your pictures though. I listed something in the women's section that was recent Prada. I listed the buy it now price quite a bit lower on accident and the screen name that bought it was sofort-kaufen something which means "buy it now" in German.

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I try to check the women's section every time, but I have to fight off the employees sometimes. About once a week, one of the employees that usually recognize me says something like "this is the women's section" or something. I can't get into the scarves without someone giving me some smart comment. I usually say something like "I know, but you guys put menswear in the women's section sometimes" and that sends them away, but it's still annoying.
Similar story, one of the employees was working at a different store last week and she goes "what, do you go from store to store to shop?" in a disparaging way. I said "I work in this area of town," as it caught me off guard. I should have said "what business is it of yours?," but I only thought of that after I had walked away and was replaying the conversation in me head.
shog[1].gif

Just say "Respect my life choices" and hold a blouse up to your chest like you're seeing how it looks on you.

Evil Abed

Reaction score
Just say "Respect my life choices" and hold a blouse up to your chest like you're seeing how it looks on you.

I live on the edge of West Hollywood, no one questions anyone shopping in any department.

thriftydood

Reaction score
Yeah, I wish it fit me, but it's not even close, so I'm hoping it'll find a new home here in a trade.
i think that's only 2-3 years old. i tried on a coat like that and it was so sweet i almost bought it ... think the list was in the neighborhood of $2,000. the fact that i would even momentarily think about buying a coat that cost that much is a testament to how sweet it really is.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Similar story, one of the employees was working at a different store last week and she goes "what, do you go from store to store to shop?" in a disparaging way. I said "I work in this area of town," as it caught me off guard. I should have said "what business is it of yours?," but I only thought of that after I had walked away and was replaying the conversation in me head. :embar:
Probably, it's happened to me before as well. I'll list something with a quick buy it now price and then I'll see it pop up a couple of weeks later. If they're smart, they'll at least use a second screen name to try to hide what they're doing. You're free to get a bit pissed off if they use your pictures though. I listed something in the women's section that was recent Prada. I listed the buy it now price quite a bit lower on accident and the screen name that bought it was sofort-kaufen something which means "buy it now" in German.

Happened to me many times someone said something.

One guy flipping through chicks clothing had the audacity to tell me that I was in the wrong section. I replied "I am planning on becoming a transsexual so need some feminine gear". The look on his face was priceless.

I bit off more than I could chew when a woman suggested to me I was in the wrong section. I replied "Oh, I am looking for something nice for the wife". Well, this lady went above and beyond taking me around showing me what was nice for my wife. I was thankful she was being a good sport and helpful by showing me nice Gap clothing etc, but really it was not what I wanted. I felt I could not indicate to her that I had no interest in woman's clothing, only mislaid men's clothing with high scale brands attached to them! I ended up with an armful of Target rejects and Gap clothing for woman and only put them back once she left.

Last edited:

thriftydood

Reaction score
Wait, what?

The prices at my local Goodwill (not boutique, whatever that may be) are roughly double that--$6 shirts, $9 sportcoats, $15 suits. I think shoes were $8 or $10, I don't quite remember. Plus they had a "designer" rack where they had shirts for $15 and jackets for $25. Ties were only $3, are they a buck a piece at your GW?

Both a brag and a status report.
Today scored my first-ever Corneliani, a pair of trousers. Also a wool coat by Mackintosh (made in USA, straight from New England) and two what appear to be never tied tartan ties by Edinburgh Woolen Mills of Scotland, one in Royal Stewart, the other a blue pattern I have not before encountered. Out the door for less than $10.
Could take photos, but not the point--most of us see this sort of thing on a fairly regular basis. It is noteworthy because today was the grand opening of the new GW boutique shop, right next door to a regular mainline store where I made these finds. Prices at the boutique start at $9.99. They had nada, unless you like stuff from JAB or American Eagle or Lauren.
I had been worried that the boutique spelled the end of bargains from GW, which has always had fixed pricing at $3 per shirt, $5 per sport coat, $7 for suits, $3 for shoes and $6 or $8 for outer coats, depending on length. My worries multiplied because the impending opening coincided with a long dry spell. Turns out the dry spell and the opening of the boutique was, apparently, mere coincidence.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And so, the pics:

Here's the BB jacket. 38S, 40% Silk, 35% Linen, 25% Wool. Seems like an odd blend, but it feels nice. Available, sadly. It's oh so close to fitting me...

P1020431.jpg

P1020426.jpg

P1020431.jpg

P1020430.jpg

P1020427.jpg

P1020428.jpg

The Camelhair:

P1020432.jpg

Anyone familiar with the brand?
P1020433.jpg

P1020435.jpg

Edit: ouch, that main photo looks really bad when it's not a thumbnail. Moving it below the spoiler.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads