• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patrologia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

had a bleh day today, 
first up is the stuff I actually picked up

I need a tuxedo for senior ball and randomly found this in my least favorite thrift store 
needs quite a bit of tailoring but will still be much cheaper than renting one of the god awful ugly ones,
as I see it, it needs the sleeves to be lengthed slightly the pants definitly need to be hemmed (not pictured is about 6 inches of extra fabric folded back into the leg) and I want to slim the pants, nip the waist, and slim the sleeves. if any of these actions are agregious mistakes please let me know

Ian, I'm not going to comment on the fit, just the economics for the moment. None of the alterations you mention are terribly expensive (well, I don't know about slimming sleeves, never had that done) but your return on investment is likely to be low. If you are going to have several black tie events in college (I think I had a total of one) then tell me to crawl back into my working class hole and shut up. Otherwise, I'm not sure paying for alterations on this suit is all that wise. Especially since you will very possibly gain some weight by the next time you want to put it on. I'm just saying. Of course, the two length issues go without saying - have them done.

Oh yeah, I should also say (since I missed the chance when you were talking about senior skip day) SENIOR BALL? Oh my gosh some of you are young. Yeah, I know, and some of us are old.

lots of fly fishing vests, I am actually going to go back because I am going fly fishing next weekend
I love that vest. Unfortunately, I don't fly fish.

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While I'm thinking of it...

A huge shoutout to Klobber for an awesome package including some amazing shirts and a PRL Corneliani hunting blazer with hacking pockets, ticket pocket, etc. And it's been the motivation I need to lose the weight I've added since I hurt my back, so I plan on wearing it in a month or so.

Also a big shoutout to Sam Smith for the great blue pindot BB tie... really gorgeous

And finally a big shoutout to Typhoid Jones for an awesome tattersall BB OCBD

Thanks guys!

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
actually thinking of maybe buying the liquidations myself, ill hit you guys up for good prices if i do, (i know the president and the head of outlets and liquidations of bloomies)

Count me in! Any SCs and suits in 40S, please let me know!

Picked up a few things at lunch

REALLY nice HF hand tailored from '04. No size (custom made) or content tag, but it feels like cashmere and it's about a 38R (21" p2p, 18.5" shoulders, 19.5" waist at the button). 3-roll-2 and surgeon's cuffs. Wish it were my size, but available

Awwww sweet! PM sending...NOW!!!

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And I thought Gitman Bros. made the USA shirts for Burberry...I could be wrong, just guessing.

Oh, could be. I know a lot of the tailored clothing is HF and since it's here in Rochester I figured it could be HF too
lol8[1].gif

tben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While I'm thinking of it...

A huge shoutout to Klobber for an awesome package including some amazing shirts and a PRL Corneliani hunting blazer with hacking pockets, ticket pocket, etc. And it's been the motivation I need to lose the weight I've added since I hurt my back, so I plan on wearing it in a month or so.

Also a big shoutout to Sam Smith for the great blue pindot BB tie... really gorgeous

And finally a big shoutout to Typhoid Jones for an awesome tattersall BB OCBD

Thanks guys!

Yeah, Klobber is an all around solid fellow.
Oh, could be. I know a lot of the tailored clothing is HF and since it's here in Rochester I figured it could be HF too
lol8%5B1%5D.gif
I really have no idea. I am not as well versed as everyone else here on makers. I know that HF did their jackets but I thought the shirts were Gitman. Oh well.
puzzled.gif

IRKSM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ian, I'm not going to comment on the fit, just the economics for the moment. None of the alterations you mention are terribly expensive (well, I don't know about slimming sleeves, never had that done) but your return on investment is likely to be low. If you are going to have several black tie events in college (I think I had a total of one) then tell me to crawl back into my working class hole and shut up. Otherwise, I'm not sure paying for alterations on this suit is all that wise. Especially since you will very possibly gain some weight by the next time you want to put it on. I'm just saying. Of course, the two length issues go without saying - have them done.
Oh yeah, I should also say (since I missed the chance when you were talking about senior skip day) SENIOR BALL? Oh my gosh some of you are young. Yeah, I know, and some of us are old.
I love that vest. Unfortunately, I don't fly fish.
it is a whole lot cheaper than renting a tux, the got the tux for 25, I already have a bowtie, cufflinks, shoes and am bidding on a tux shirt for 10, after tailoring a may be looking at a 100-120 dollar investment which would be at the low end of renting a tux so really I am saving money versus going the traditional route, plus I get to keep it. I doubt I will have any black tie events in college though I am planning on going to uc santa cruz notorious for flannels and pot, but really you never know when you will be called upon to wear one. Your point about gaining weight is a good one though, I think I will be conservative on the amount of slimming I do, maybe just take the waist in a little to give it a little more shape and slim the pant leg a little bit, slimming the sleeves probably wouldn't be wise considering I have started to do a lot of weight lifting and probable will have different sized arms in the future.
also yes I am super young
biggrin.gif

Last edited:

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

actually thinking of maybe buying the liquidations myself, ill hit you guys up for good prices if i do, (i know the president and the head of outlets and liquidations of bloomies)

Count me in! 42-44 R and L-XL in shirts, depending on designer.

Last edited:

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yesterday and today...

Pristine Allen Edmonds "Elliot" wholecuts (8.5C)

Johnston & Murphy "Aristocrat" opera pumps (8.5 C/A)

Hugo Boss Super 140s staple 3 button charcoal suit (40R)

Recent Zegna "Soft" 3 button charcoal suit (50R (EU))

This thing is straight up BALLER. From the labels, it definitely looks like it's Tom James (very recent, 2007 tag)...but it's, by far, the nicest Tom James I've ever seen: Holland & Sherry fabric, side vented, ticket pocket, functional cuffs, soft shoulder, flat front pants, pick stitching up and down the entire jacket length...not to mention the SICK lining! It's amazing...definitely fully bespoke/MTM. Haven't taken measurements yet, but if it fits me, it's probably mine, and alternatively, it might be going to a friend who desperately needs some staple suits. Unavailable for now, until I take measurements/get details.

Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece, heavy flannel suit, staple charcoal with pinstripes (44ML)

Recent Brooks Brothers "Brooksease" charcoal w/pinstripe suit (44L)

NWT Brooks Bros "346" flat front moleskin pants (33 x 30), NWT PRL cords (34 x 30)
Recent Burberry London grey double pleated pants (34), Burberrys double pleated black pants
Recent Hugo Boss "Alabama" 100% soft cotton jeans (34 x 32)

Bonobos flat front pants (31 x 30), Z Zegna wool single pleat pants (34R), Vineyard vines flat front pants (38 x 30)

NWOT unworn Gap 1969 selvedge, raw denim jeans (my first!!!) (32 x 34)

Recent John Varvatos black 2 button, side vented SC (46L)

Ermenegildo Zegna "Soft" 6/2 DB, working cuffs jacket (ugh, again, another probable orphan from the same store...really nice though. Still holding out on mating all these Zegna orphan DBs)

NWT ($175!!!!) Hickey Freeman light blue staple shirt (16R), (Most?) Recent Zegna label shirt, Turnbull & Asser "Sea Island Cotton - COLLAR & CUFFS HAVE TO BE REPLACED (seriously, the softest shirt I've ever felt) (15/38cm)
Lorenzini shirt (15.75/40cm), Truzzi 50% cotton/50% linen shirt (17.5/44cm), Lorenzini shirt (15.75/40cm)

Robert Graham, Pendleton (Medium), Pendleton "Country Traditions" (Medium)
Hickey Freeman, woven in Italy (Large), Pristine recent Hickey Freeman spread collar FC purple pindot (15.5/33)

Last edited:

concealed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yesterday and today...

Pristine Allen Edmonds "Elliot" wholecuts (8.5C)

Johnston & Murphy "Aristocrat" opera pumps (8.5 C/A)

Hugo Boss Super 140s staple 3 button charcoal suit (40R)

Recent Zegna "Soft" 3 button charcoal suit (50R (EU))

This thing is straight up BALLER. From the labels, it definitely looks like it's Tom James (very recent, 2007 tag)...but it's, by far, the nicest Tom James I've ever seen: Holland & Sherry fabric, side vented, ticket pocket, functional cuffs, soft shoulder, flat front pants, pick stitching up and down the entire jacket length...not to mention the SICK lining! It's amazing...definitely fully MTM. Haven't taken measurements yet, but if it fits me, it's probably mine, and alternatively, it might be going to a friend who desperately needs some staple suits. Unavailable for now, until I take measurements/get details.

Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece, heavy flannel suit, staple charcoal with pinstripes (44ML)

Recent Brooks Brothers "Brooksease" charcoal w/pinstripe suit (44L)

NWT Brooks Bros "346" flat front moleskin pants (33 x 30), NWT PRL cords (34 x 30)
Recent Burberry London grey double pleated pants (34), Burberrys double pleated black pants
Recent Hugo Boss "Alabama" 100% soft cotton jeans (34 x 32)

Bonobos flat front pants (31 x 30), Z Zegna wool single pleat pants (34R), Vineyard vines flat front pants (38 x 30)

Recent John Varvatos black 2 button, side vented SC (46L)

Ermenegildo Zegna "Soft" 6/2 DB, working cuffs jacket (ugh, again, another probable orphan from the same store...really nice though. Still holding out on mating all these Zegna orphan DBs)

NWT ($175!!!!) Hickey Freeman light blue staple shirt (16R), (Most?) Recent Zegna label shirt, Turnbull & Asser "Sea Island Cotton - COLLAR & CUFFS HAVE TO BE REPLACED (seriously, the softest shirt I've ever felt) (15/38cm)
Lorenzini shirt (15.75/40cm), Truzzi 50% cotton/50% linen shirt (17.5/44cm), Lorenzini shirt (15.75/40cm)

Hickey Freeman, woven in Italy (Large), Pristine recent Hickey Freeman spread collar, FC purple pindot (15.5/33)

definitely not the most recent Zegna shirt, but great scores, and that Truzzi & bespoke suit are the ****!

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been a little while since finding anything interesting in a thrifted item pocket...found these today inside a sport coat I picked up last weekend.

A baggie containing a brownish-white coarse powder, and a small clear plastic straw (I added the quarter to show scale).

Already flushed down the loo, so please: no PM's asking if it's "available".

workthatwedo

Reaction score
Been a little while since finding anything interesting in a thrifted item pocket...found these today inside a sport coat I picked up last weekend.

Been thrifting in the Bluff? Is "flushed down the loo" new slang for insufflation?

IRKSM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yesterday and today...

Hickey Freeman, woven in Italy (Large), Pristine recent Hickey Freeman spread collar FC purple pindot (15.5/33)
you have got to be kidding me, I have been looking for those exact jeans for over a year and finally shelled out big money on ebay for them not even a week ago, that those are in my exact size :/ also all those pendletons are sick

shadesofbeige

Reaction score
Hey guys! I've been pretty absent from thrifting as of late, being nearly broke most of the summer. Thankfully I've gotten back in the swing of things and I'm happy to present...

Thrift find of the day/week/month/year/decade?

Chocolate suede John Lobb Chesters!!!!!

Looks like they've been worn a handful of times at most.

And the best part - they fit! They're a tad big but I can always wear thick socks.

Maybe not up to DM7 levels, but probably the best I'll ever do! No idea how I'll wear these, but I'll be sure to throw up a thrift fit pic when I do. Let me know if anybody can hook a brother up with some nice shoe trees on the cheap.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads