• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evil Abed

Reaction score
Sorry Spoo, no pics this time around. If I find myself out there again soon, I'll see what I can do.

Can't afford a pair of Alden Kudu boots yet, so I snagged these To Boots in the meantime for $49. (who makes their Italian made stuff?).

Notice the laces are actually mismatched and aren't the actual laces that came with the boots, because they only came with 1 lace. Anyone know a good source for non-waxed round cotton olive/brown laces in 41 inch length? haha

Last edited:

YoungAmerican

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If anybody's sitting on a very nice formal shirt in 16x36, I'm looking. I definitely want a turndown collar, and would love a bib or plain front, rather than pleats. But I'm open on the last.

Samuel Smith

Reaction score

My suggestion would be not to attempt to do this. Even if you find the right fabric pants if they've been cleaned more / less times they won't look like they match. Just move on and hope the thrift river brings something else your way. 

All good. Rock this with some indigo jeans, white shirt, walnut shoes? Or some cords ?

Last edited:

workthatwedo

Reaction score
First off,
nod[1].gif

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thrift Fit

Jacket -- Lubiam Studio 1/2 canvassed jacket with dual vents (thrifted). I think the sleeves are about 1/2 in. to 1 in. too short. Needs some tailoring. The jacket feels a bit tight but I can still breath comfortably in it.
Jeans -- Lucky Brand (thrifted).
T Shirt -- The Locust limited edition band T with Alfredo Sauce (bought from a show, I think).
$30 Hair Cut. Was wearing some chucks.

catside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How was it that my profession got tagged with this image oh so many years ago. Truthfully, I don't know anyone I work with who does the tweed and elbow patch look, though I do work with plenty of folks who dress awfully, in their own way.

Ehm, because I exist :D
That would be my winter look, except I am on a nice sabbatical so this winter will sport my tweeds with jeans.

IRKSM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thrift fit rocky horror picture show edition

seems pretty normal right, thrifted blazer, thrifted bowtie, blah blah, pretty boring

but wait is that a mesh tank top he is wearing?!

YOUR DAMN RIGHT IT IS, THIS IS THE ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW YOU CAN'T GO IN THERE WEARING A BLAZER YOU NEED A MESH TANK TOP AND NIPPLE TASSLES
also as a random side note I won the dancing competition for all the virgins

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
sleeves look just a bit short on the jacket, shoulders seem decent though

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How was it that my profession got tagged with this image oh so many years ago. Truthfully, I don't know anyone I work with who does the tweed and elbow patch look, though I do work with plenty of folks who dress awfully, in their own way.

It was shabby, casual attire back when coat and tie was expected, and academics, in my experience, love shabby and casual.

On a sidenote, my advisor really did dress like that. Tweed jackets that were a bit too large for him with chinos, and crappy rockportish shoes with holes in the rubber soles. Great guy, and I really enjoyed his classes.

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If anybody's sitting on a very nice formal shirt in 16x36, I'm looking. I definitely want a turndown collar, and would love a bib or plain front, rather than pleats. But I'm open on the last.

Damn... If you didn't need those long sleeves I could help. I've still got a 15.75 x 34 Burberry tux shirt I haven't gotten around to listing

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thrift Fit

Jacket -- Lubiam Studio 1/2 canvassed jacket with dual vents (thrifted). I think the sleeves are about 1/2 in. to 1 in. too short. Needs some tailoring. The jacket feels a bit tight but I can still breath comfortably in it.
Jeans -- Lucky Brand (thrifted).
T Shirt -- The Locust limited edition band T with Alfredo Sauce (bought from a show, I think).
$30 Hair Cut. Was wearing some chucks.

No way to tell fit from that... Need to have it buttoned and not have your arm above your shoulder.

horse's_ass

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
my reading on philosophy professors is that they're poorly disguised perverts who wander the halls of post-secondary institutions rocking black turtlenecks and steely grey man ponytails.

CharlesWho

Reaction score
thrift fit rocky horror picture show edition

seems pretty normal right, thrifted blazer, thrifted bowtie, blah blah, pretty boring

but wait is that a mesh tank top he is wearing?!

YOUR DAMN RIGHT IT IS, THIS IS THE ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW YOU CAN'T GO IN THERE WEARING A BLAZER YOU NEED A MESH TANK TOP AND NIPPLE TASSLES
also as a random side note I won the dancing competition for all the virgins
No comment on the mesh/bow party but more and more I am very interested in the 1"+ too short sleeve and pant leg. However if either one is too tight it loses the class, in my opinion.

IRKSM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No comment on the mesh/bow party but more and more I am very interested in the 1"+ too short sleeve and pant leg. However if either one is too tight it loses the class, in my opinion.

ian erickson, that second picture is a horrifying monstrosity.
have none of ya'll been to the rocky horror picture show? I was the most clothed person there, people were walking around in ductape underwear, and you get to make out with random chicks it is awesome.

also yeah the sleeves are too short, I have not gotten around to taking them to the tailor yet but I promise you I will before I have to wear it to a serious function. as for the pants... as you can tell I wasn't really going for class...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads