• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
Rough day, hit 2 GW's and came home with a Banana Rep cashmere v neck sweater and an express shirt I liked.

The bad-

Hickey Freeman Bespoke Suit, couldn't find pants
Donna Karan Signature suit, couldn't find pants
3 or 4 HSM, found pants on 1, but it was older, didn't fit and wasn't worth flipping
Dior tie, stained
Dior blazer, stained and stitching coming out on shoulder

Canali, Ted Baker, Flusser and a couple other shirts that weren't my size and I was too lazy to flip
Tommy Bahama pants, my size, I guess I put them back, I got home and didn't have them and they weren't on my receipt
baldy[1].gif

tben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rough day, hit 2 GW's and came home with a Banana Rep cashmere v neck sweater and an express shirt I liked.

The bad-

Hickey Freeman Bespoke Suit, couldn't find pants
Donna Karan Signature suit, couldn't find pants
3 or 4 HSM, found pants on 1, but it was older, didn't fit and wasn't worth flipping
Dior tie, stained
Dior blazer, stained and stitching coming out on shoulder

Canali, Ted Baker, Flusser and a couple other shirts that weren't my size and I was too lazy to flip
Tommy Bahama pants, my size, I guess I put them back, I got home and didn't have them and they weren't on my receipt

Whatever, try again another day.

I am sure he is talking about Dior Homme......

aglass

Reaction score
I am sure he is talking about Dior Homme......
Undoubtedly :)

OK boys, so I've just started thrifting and am trying to offload my old crap/wardrobe on eBay - problem is, I've never sold anything on eBay before (yeah, yeah)... is there a guide anywhere for a noob to eBay? Figured you guys would be the best to ask!

FaceOfBoh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try here:
http://pages.ebay.com/sellerinformation/howtosell/sellingbasics.html

And pick up some tips here:
http://www.styleforum.net/t/309281/...tricks-problems-questions/300_20#post_5678690

The one thing I'll flag for you is as a new seller you'll have your funds locked up for up to 21 days. You can reduce that by using PayPal shipping (I think that gets you down to 3 days, post delivery).

Also, you may want to try a local consignment store. I manage to clear about $100 for a suit (after thrift cost and dry cleaning). You'll have to consider how the vagaries of the market, ebay and paypal fees affect your bottom line.

Good luck!

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went to a 6 year old niece's birthday party today at one of those places that cater to that sort of thing with inflatable bounce houses and slides and such. I was trying for casual/indoor playground. One of the staffers, a young African American guy at/under 20 years old told my daughter that he really liked my style. I don't know if it's good to be compared to Kanye or not at my advanced age.

Funny thing, though. Since I started my sartorial journey on this site over a year ago, I've gotten more compliments on my appearance from black guys than in my entire life.
I'll take it!
35x35px-LL-db5e8bdc_FelixDig.gif

P8190562.jpg

Maui Jim (Non-thrift)
Banana Republic Linen/Cotton blend / 40S
JAB
505 30/32
Levi's leather
Chucks~ black/high top

Last edited:

ahk11

Reaction score
Just found this 100% cashmere topcoat, any ideas on the maker? Its made in Austria, but cant find a name anywhere on it. It seems to be pretty well made with pick-stitching everywhere. Its definitely black, unlike the photo suggests. Apologies for the photos, I am still living with a 10 year old camera.

http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/pp229/dkoernert/DSC08208.jpg

http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/pp229/dkoernert/DSC08219.jpg

http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/pp229/dkoernert/DSC08217.jpg

Last edited:

bytor13

Reaction score
Yesterday was easily the best day for thrifting I've had in the last month.

UNAVAILABLE:

Oxxford tie - Made in England (by Drakes, right?)
H5Le7.jpg
mhLs7.jpg

BBGF LP Super 120's charcoal suit

z9ENR.jpg

aN3FJ.jpg
GCFeP.jpg

No-Name cord jacket. I just really like the details, and it fit me.

v5bl1.jpg
SsEpU.jpg

PRL, Incotex
OV58t.jpg
3Y83F.jpg

AVAILABLE:

Zegna khaki chinos 36x37
gXV5s.jpg
3Popy.jpg

PRL "Made in Italy" 30x27 pants, double pleated, cuffed. Corneliani? Man, I wish these fit!
hnDZ6.jpg
AKNZJ.jpg

BB "Made in England" navy duffle coat, 2XL
mZi57.jpg
EaQRV.jpg

PRL "Made in Italy" tweed 41L. No tags, any idea on the maker?
KAbHw.jpg

BVpCC.jpg
oI3B4.jpg

Armpit to Armpit - 21.5 in.
. . . . . . .
Jacket Waist - 20 in.
. . . . . . .
Sleeves (shoulder seam to end of cuff) - 26.75 in. (0 in. to let out)
. . . . . . .
Shoulders (seam to seam across the back) - 19 in.
. . . . . . .
Length (from bottom of collar to bottom of coat) - 33 in.

Burberry London SC (44R) and Suit (46R)
FYSDk.jpg
VzlpW.jpg

HRAcT.jpg
9nu5s.jpg

Anth

Reaction score
Ok the only nice find from Friday and it has been Spoo authenticated!!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

bytor13

Reaction score
^ That is Drake's indeed, very nice find. Please tell me that BBGF isn't a 42R and I will be able to sleep tonight...
Thanks for the confirmation! Also, the BBGF is a 40R, so sleep tight.
probably the wrong thread but I know how you folk like a good deal

not exactly a thrift store find but I was trolling ebay and found this nice canali blazer with the bid starting at 99cents, I was going to buy it for myself but decided against it, anyone a size eu 50R?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CANALI-Blaz...Sport_Coats&hash=item3f1afa57cb#ht_483wt_1296
You could try here:
http://www.styleforum.net/t/22382/ebay-suits-sportcoats-and-other-clothing/

mjt73106

Reaction score

mjt73106

Reaction score
I went to a 6 year old niece's birthday party today at one of those places that cater to that sort of thing with inflatable bounce houses and slides and such. I was trying for casual/indoor playground. One of the staffers, a young African American guy at/under 20 years old told my daughter that he really liked my style. I don't know if it's good to be compared to Kanye or not at my advanced age.
Funny thing, though. Since I started my sartorial journey on this site over a year ago, I've gotten more compliments on my appearance from black guys than in my entire life.
I'll take it!
35x35px-LL-db5e8bdc_FelixDig.gif

P8190562.jpg

Maui Jim (Non-thrift)
Banana Republic Linen/Cotton blend / 40S
JAB
505 30/32
Levi's leather
Chucks~ black/high top
Maybe they are hitting on you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads