• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Soft is definitely defunct, I believe its last season was in 2003-2004

Proposta, to my understanding, is the same quality as mainline, just with a fuller cut (hence Canali XL)

ALSO: How much should I pay for a male torso mannequin?

I thought Proposta was the thinner cut for a younger audience?

I just got a mannequin torso on a rolling telescoping stand for $35 by having a saved search on craigslist

Last edited:

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have an Ebay question for you guys. I sold a pair of very high end, near mint (probably worn 5 times or less) shoes on Ebay on 3/26. Buyer gets them and leaves positive feedback on 4/2. I received a message today from him saying that the soles of the shoes are "disintegrating" and that he wants me to provide a remedy. I'm thinking I'm ok sending him a nice and sweet f*** off reply seeing as he has been wearing the shoes and has already given me positive feedback, but wanted to check with the ebay sellers here to see if you guys have come across any similar situations.

Be careful. He can still file a Paypal SNAD case and get a refund.

GHo

Reaction score

what's he have? 45 days or something?

this little guy just showed up next to my name...

what's it mean? I assume good things.

:cheers:

rayxlui

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to tell the difference between the good Bottega Veneta stuff and the bad stuff? Especially shoes?

concealed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what's he have? 45 days or something?
this little guy just showed up next to my name...
what's it mean? I assume good things.
cheers.gif

yeah its good, whats your ebay name, interested in checking out your gear

pnutpug

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just to add in my 2 cents: Canali Proposta is definitely no longer current (I believe it went bye bye around the same time as Zegna Soft). Also, the quality of Zegna made in Spain, Italy, Switzerland, AFAIK, are all the same.
I have an Ebay question for you guys. I sold a pair of very high end, near mint (probably worn 5 times or less) shoes on Ebay on 3/26. Buyer gets them and leaves positive feedback on 4/2. I received a message today from him saying that the soles of the shoes are "disintegrating" and that he wants me to provide a remedy. I'm thinking I'm ok sending him a nice and sweet f*** off reply seeing as he has been wearing the shoes and has already given me positive feedback, but wanted to check with the ebay sellers here to see if you guys have come across any similar situations.

I'd want to see photos, too. I once had a buyer leave positive feedback on a suit, then immediately send me a message saying that the lining was slightly apart at an armpit seam, so I should have checked the goods more thoroughly. He didn't ask for a refund, but I sent one anyway, even though the complaint was over a trifling matter that any reputable tailor would've remedied gratis while doing alterations. It wasn't a great deal of money, and it made me feel better because, yes, I should've caught something like that and disclosed it in listing. Of course, the guy who ended up with the free suit never said, hey, thanks or in any other way acknowledged what I'd done.

I'd also be tempted to tell the guy to screw himself, but it is possible that there could be an issue here. Without knowing more--his eBay history, among other things--it's hard to say. And if you said no returns in the listing, you're under no obligation. I'm presuming we're certain of the provenance and that there's no chance the shoes are counterfeit--that can happen to the best of us.

I think you're safe in terms of there being no chance that eBay can bust your chops. But it also seems strange that someone would register a complaint after leaving positive feedback. That suggests to me that he might be having a problem with the shoes. If it were me, I'd try working with the guy a bit, first by asking for photos. And take it from there. There is no right answer here, but you never know. If you work with him and even end up having to eat some cash, he might turn into a loyal customer. You should ask yourself: If the guy's complaint holds up, if there is, in fact, a problem with the soles, do I want to be the guy who sold crappy shoes on eBay? Maybe that's the WWJD approach, and I'm not suggesting it's for everyone. And, again, there might be something I don't know that compels a different approach.

330CK

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I gotta give a big shout out to whomever it was that posted about the thriftbuddy app. I've found a couple new stores I did not know about and found a few epic first finds in the wild. I'm still out exploring--will post pics later.

pnutpug

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I gotta give a big shout out to whomever it was that posted about the thriftbuddy app. I've found a couple new stores I did not know about and found a few epic first finds in the wild. I'm still out exploring--will post pics later.

I dunno. This app sounds both cool and dangerous. Sharks are already plentiful in the tank--could this be inviting more?

horse's_ass

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had tons of terrible luck; the last two weeks or so have yielded some pretty good stuff. Some highlights (unfortunately, I've run across some financial difficulties, so I can't really make any of this available):

Oxxford Super 120s:

oxxford.jpg

Mainline John Varvatos unstructured navy summer blazer:

jv.jpg

Alden for Barney's shell loafers:

alden.jpg

Aquascutum trousers:

aq1.jpg

Last edited:

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What was the estate sale one?

amadar

Reaction score

I'd want to see photos, too. I once had a buyer leave positive feedback on a suit, then immediately send me a message saying that the lining was slightly apart at an armpit seam, so I should have checked the goods more thoroughly. He didn't ask for a refund, but I sent one anyway, even though the complaint was over a trifling matter that any reputable tailor would've remedied gratis while doing alterations. It wasn't a great deal of money, and it made me feel better because, yes, I should've caught something like that and disclosed it in listing. Of course, the guy who ended up with the free suit never said, hey, thanks or in any other way acknowledged what I'd done.
I'd also be tempted to tell the guy to screw himself, but it is possible that there could be an issue here. Without knowing more--his eBay history, among other things--it's hard to say. And if you said no returns in the listing, you're under no obligation. I'm presuming we're certain of the provenance and that there's no chance the shoes are counterfeit--that can happen to the best of us.
I think you're safe in terms of there being no chance that eBay can bust your chops. But it also seems strange that someone would register a complaint after leaving positive feedback. That suggests to me that he might be having a problem with the shoes. If it were me, I'd try working with the guy a bit, first by asking for photos. And take it from there. There is no right answer here, but you never know. If you work with him and even end up having to eat some cash, he might turn into a loyal customer. You should ask yourself: If the guy's complaint holds up, if there is, in fact, a problem with the soles, do I want to be the guy who sold crappy shoes on eBay? Maybe that's the WWJD approach, and I'm not suggesting it's for everyone. And, again, there might be something I don't know that compels a different approach.

Ugh....I'll ask for pictures and go from there I guess. To give more info, the guy has about 10 total feedback (all positive, member since 2002). The shoes were 120% not fake. I have a 7 day return policy for grossly misdescribed items. Can this guy really win a Paypal SNAD after having worn the shoes for 2 weeks? It is a used item, I don't think I should be held accountable for warranty issues when there is no appliocable warranty to begin with :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads