• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

valium

Reaction score
Haha! Apology acceptance accepted. Thanks for the furniture writeup. I'll definitely be checking the furniture at the thrifts closer.

dude youre in NY,thats MCM central baby.you could be the DM7 of mid century modern

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hah, my bad! I think the inseam is too short for me though :(
I could really use some gray wool (three/four season) pants :D
35-38 waist, 31-34 inseam (or room to get there)

Does it matter if there is a pattern - i.e. faint pinstripe or glenplaid? Only solids avail at the mo here are black or light colors like khaki or white/cream.

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
dude youre in NY,thats MCM central baby.you could be the DM7 of mid century modern

I'm in ROCHESTER, NY... not NYC... maybe there's good stuff around here at estate sales, but I've been just hitting thrifts and there's hardly any furniture

mainy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
finally had time to hit it today!

dAk1W.jpg

first 3: recent Polo, made in italy
Paul smith
next 3: hermes

tUUMx.jpg

two recent unworn (?, pockets sewn shut) 3 button hugo boss suits

2i3Iv.jpg

willis geiger, duchamp london, duchamp london, d&g, loro piana, robert talbott carmel linen (made in china but huge MOP buttons, really nice)

daVOw.jpg

vineyard vines x2, zanella linen, zegna linen, RG

BQBqw.jpg

oops forgot the flash. mint park aves, pebble grain aldens

okay here is my favorite find from today. found this great great old Pegasus black leather carryon bag. insane quality, better than the old Louis Vuitton bag i found, super heavy duty talon zips, leather is really nice (kinda beat up though), and doesn't even weigh that much. the good news: it was $4. the bad news... i got it home and realized i didn't have the combination. So... 750 tries later (and about 2 hours), i now know the combo. derp. now i just gotta remove previous owners initials.

bJjyX.jpg

l9XdX.jpg

5MEJs.jpg

valium

Reaction score
@ mainy,theres nothing better then old leather ...except maybe old wood
uhoh.gif

regarding the combination,im sure a seasoned pro like you knows to try 000 first,but i have opened a few cases in my day,this is how i do it.
pull slightly where the lock is while turning each number slowly waiting for some slack and then go to the next number and repeat,works 100% of the time

valium

Reaction score
i still dont get it,why do i have atlhetes foot?
i smoked a doobie abut an hour ago so im not firing on all cylinders,explain

mainy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

@ mainy,theres nothing better then old leather ...except maybe old wood :uhoh:
regarding the combination,im sure a seasoned pro like you knows to try 000 first,but i have opened a few cases in my day,this is how i do it.
pull slightly where the lock is while turning each number slowly waiting for some slack and then go to the next number and repeat,works 100% of the time 

yeah it ended up being 747 (lol) i think it was probably a pilot's bag. tried all the tricks but sometimes you just gotta do it the hard way

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hah, my bad! I think the inseam is too short for me though :(
I could really use some gray wool (three/four season) pants :D
35-38 waist, 31-34 inseam (or room to get there)

Does it matter if there is a pattern - i.e. faint pinstripe or glenplaid? Only solids avail at the mo here are black or light colors like khaki or white/cream.

I could definitely use some glen plaid...

I also need SCs, but I need to find some SCs in your size first!

shadesofbeige

Reaction score
Since DM7 hasn't posted tonight, I'll chime in with what is by far my most surprising find to date.

A NWT dress from The Row, the Olsen twins' insanely expensive fashion line. This retailed for $1350 at Barney's. It was a part of their first collection, S/S2011. I would think I'd have to be the first person ever to see this line in the wild, since it's only been in existence for three seasons. Also picked up a Jil Sander t shirt, so all in all, not a bad day
biggrin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads